Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

View Poll Results: Why are watchuseek's members mostly male?

Voters
115. This poll is closed
  • How dare you say such a chauvinistic thing?

    11 9.57%
  • My wife / girlfriend is ALWAYS taking pictures of her watch to post on forums, so you're wrong.

    3 2.61%
  • A wristwatch is a man's best friend.

    37 32.17%
  • Women like clocks.

    5 4.35%
  • It's the only "jewelry" that isn't considered flamboyant, and they are seeking sparkly things.

    63 54.78%
  • Women have that whole "biological clock" thing working for them.

    18 15.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92
  1. #1
    Member Seikopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    162

    Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

    I just realized that I've never known a female to be into watches. I'm sure your wives all have just as many watches as you, but do they obsess over them, like we do? Do they post on these forums? Do they take PICTURES of their watches!!!!!

    As a young lad, I asked my father why women's watches were so tiny. His answer was, "Because they don't buy them to tell time. It's just jewelry, and most wouldn't even notice if it stopped working, cause you can't see those little hands anyway, or the dials are unreadable, from precious stone clutter."

    I think it's because they have that whole "biological clock" thing working for them.
    Last edited by Seikopath; January 20th, 2009 at 01:01.

  2. #2
    Member scuttle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,298

    Re: Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

    Because watches are a male excuse for wearing jewellery. Otherwise almost the only watch worn would be a G-Shock 5600. Women have real jewellery to wear, so they don't need watches.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,374

    Re: Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

    I think it's because they have enough things to be interested in-- shoes, clothing, other forms of jewelry like rings, ear rings, necklaces, shoes.

    A man typically wears 2 things besides clothing; a watch +- a wedding band.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Seikopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    162

    Re: Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    Because watches are a male excuse for wearing jewellery.
    For some people, but not for me. I want to make it as dull as possible, it is 100% TOOL for me. I agree in that it adds to one's individuality, and expression - which I guess, in a way, is jewelry, so you're right.
    My Holy Grail:

    Fortis 658.27.11M

  6. #5
    Member NWP627's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,405

    Re: Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

    JMO but that poll is very close to a lose/lose proposition.
    N
    Caveat lector

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    22,213

    Re: Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by NWP627 View Post
    JMO but that poll is very close to a lose/lose proposition.
    N
    I agree. And I'm waiting to see just how much trouble you guys get yourselves into before I weigh in.

    Jeannie

  8. #7
    Member Seikopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    162

    Re: Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

    I really don't see how it's offensive in any way. I'm genuinely curious. How is the Poll, "lose, lose"? I really don't follow. I'm not saying anything negative about either women, or men. Really, read it again. Is there anything negative? Seriously.
    My Holy Grail:

    Fortis 658.27.11M

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    22,213

    Re: Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seikopath View Post
    I really don't see how it's offensive in any way. I'm genuinely curious. How is the Poll, "lose, lose"? I really don't follow. I'm not saying anything negative about either women, or men. Really, read it again. Is there anything negative? Seriously.
    Well, I was teasing, Seikio, hence the little laughing face icon.

    Jeannie

  10. #9
    Member Seikopath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    162

    Re: Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
    Well, I was teasing, Seikio, hence the little laughing face icon.

    Jeannie
    Awe, thanks. Are you female? Just curious. Your name... No offense, if you're not. Are you representing the "other side"?
    My Holy Grail:

    Fortis 658.27.11M

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    22,213

    Re: Why are watches a "male dominated" interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seikopath View Post
    Are you female?
    Yep. Breasts and everything.

    Jeannie
    Raza and A_R_E_S like this.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •