Why are WIS's so elusive??
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Why are WIS's so elusive??

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Why are WIS's so elusive??

I know this is a topic that has been discussed to death, but who cares. Besides, I'd like to hear from all of the new WUS members.

Question:

How often do you run across a fellow WIS in public? It is a very, very rare event for me and is something I wish would occur more often. Perhaps that is why I so actively peruse the WUS forums on a daily basis? I notice a lot of people wearing quartz watches, which is fine, but there really isn't much to discuss in that respect.

Take my place of work, for instance. I work for a relatively well-known company that employs roughly 100 people. I've never seen anyone in management wear a mechanical watch. However, just the other day I was thrilled to run into a coworker wearing a Tag Carrera. Naturally I immediately jumped into question mode. I was disappointed to learn that the watch was a present and that he really didn't know much about watches at all.

What are your experiences?

Re: Why are WIS's so elusive??

Generally, not bad.
    I've run in to a few, but everyone has been either outside an AD, or reading a watch magazine in a newsagents...weird.

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

I don't know. I'm young and a minority, so I'm quite careful about commenting on other people's things. I don't want to say "Hey, nice watch" and then have someone tense up because they think I'm going to try and rob them. Hell, I've had people say it to me, but I live in Philadelphia and work in Wilmington, so I immediately had that same reaction.
    ioulove2 likes this.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Knowing how we tend to hold on to our own individual views and values a bit too steadfastly, I am actually glad that I don't run into them.
    Mikeman and RotaryRider like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I don't know. I'm young and a minority, so I'm quite careful about commenting on other people's things. I don't want to say "Hey, nice watch" and then have someone tense up because they think I'm going to try and rob them. Hell, I've had people say it to me, but I live in Philadelphia and work in Wilmington, so I immediately had that same reaction.
    Just go for it man. "Hey, nice watch. I bet I could get $75 for that at a pawn shop." Save the comment for dead-end streets or empty elevators though. It's hard to carry on a proper conversation in a crowd.
    Janne likes this.

WnS

The only WIS I've met in real life was a watch seller I found on this forum, who I arranged to meet with for the transaction. I've never found a WIS by chance. I swear, this type of person is rare.
    I'm content with my watch collection

I don't run into too many watch people in general. Last week I was approached by a 13-14 year old boy at the supermarket that was wearing two watches on each wrist. Yes. Two watches on each wrist. I told him I was into watches too but I was only brave enough to wear one at a time. His mother rolled her eyes and told me that he drives her crazy with his watches. He noticed my watch and commented that I was wearing his dream watch (Omega Seamaster). I told him about this forum and that he should check out the place. That is as close as I've come to meeting another watch fanatic. My watch repair guy isn't into watches as much as I am. For me, it's a world that seems to take place only on the internet. Maybe it all depends on where you hang out.
    Mikeman and wristclock like this.

I think I met my first WIS out of the forum comunity, this week. One of my co worker presented me to his client because the client noticed he was wearing a Rolex and then my co worker told him:'' If you want to talk watches, let me introduce you to Daniel'' We then met and talked for a few minutes. The client told me he was on the Rolex forum and collecting them. He had 17 Rolex brand new in a box and never worn, and others he was wearing. Watches from the 70's to the new DSSD. He also had a few Patek Philippe, Panarai, Omega ect. In all, 98 watches!

''Well, we are certainly not in the same league'' I told him, but we share the same passion. He was wearing a Citizen Ecodrive which he was calling ''his daily beater'' and he ask me if I knew the Orange Monster. That's WIS language if you ask me!
    ~ Daniel ~

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    That's interesting. I'm the opposite. If I see someone wearing a nice watch I try and compliment them. Come to think of it, on the rare occassions that I do compliment someone on their watch, I generally get a surprised look followed by a quick "thanks", as if they are thinking: 'yes, it's a nice watch, now what do you want?'.

I would absolutely love for somebody to compliment me on a watch, although I would probably talk their ear off about it.

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Knowing how we tend to hold on to our own individual views and values a bit too steadfastly, I am actually glad that I don't run into them.
    Agree. But I would also bet a lot of money that there are a lot of folks here who wouldn't dare behave in person the way they do on this forum. Ah, the power of distance and anonymity... ; )
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information