WI to WIS?

Thread: WI to WIS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WI to WIS?

Hey guys, as a fairly new person to the forums and the watch world in general, I just have a question for you pros out there: How did you go from having an interest in watches to being an actual 'savant'? I'm guessing many of you work either in watchmaking/repairing or in selling watches. Any advice for a newbie looking to become more knowledgeable? Thanks

Banned

Re: WI to WIS?

A WI buys a watch. A WIS researches the movement's specs and compares it to similar models from other brands, considers the blued hands vs. the stainless, notes the use of Arabic or Roman numerals and whether he can live with the radial flip or opt for plain indices, checks prices of ADs, closed eBay listings, and grey market dealers for months, and THEN buys a watch.

A WI sees a watch on a fellow guest at a party and says "Nice watch. The dial is a great color". A WIS sees a watch on a fellow guest at a party and attempts to strike up a conversation with the guest about the bph and chamfering of the plates & bridges...only to realize the fellow guest is looking at them like they have 3 heads because they don't have a clue - they just bought their watch because the salesgirl at Tourneau was cute and the brand name was recognizable.

Do you really want to be a Rain Man about watches? WIS are only comfortable amongst each other. The key to integrating with normal people is knowing when to WIS on and WIS off. However, if you thirst for more knowledge I'll give you the same link I give to others. It's a "watches for dummies" reference where most of the installments are written by a really big dummy: http://www.watchtalkforums.info/foru...ad.php?t=22496
    Last edited by ulackfocus; September 12th, 2009 at 01:22.

I think a few of the members do indeed work in the watch trade, but there are an awful lot of posts along the lines of "I went into XYZ Watch Emporium and the guy/gal in there knew nothing", so that is not a guaranteed path to WISdom.
    I think most of us are just enthusiasts of one shade or another.
    WISdom is largely a matter of spending a looooooonnnng time soaking up knowledge wherever you can find it.
    Dom
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I like watches, and I've been looking at these posts for a couple months, but I still have no idea what WI or WIS means. Everyone refers to it, and I 'get' the general idea, and I AM probably one of them.... But I've never read what it actually stands for.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzotemko View Post
    I've never read what it actually stands for.
    Watch Idiot Savant.

Banned

Watch Idiot Savant

Muchas grassyous.

bga

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    A WI buys a watch. A WIS researches the movement's specs and compares it to similar models from other brands, considers the blued hands vs. the stainless, notes the use of Arabic or Roman numerals and whether he can live with the radial flip or opt for plain indices, checks prices of ADs, closed eBay listings, and grey market dealers for months, and THEN buys a watch.

A WI sees a watch on a fellow guest at a party and says "Nice watch. The dial is a great color". A WIS sees a watch on a fellow guest at a party and attempts to strike up a conversation with the guest about the bph and chamfering of the plates & bridges...only to realize the fellow guest is looking at them like they have 3 heads because they don't have a clue - they just bought their watch because the salesgirl at Tourneau was cute and the brand name was recognizable.

Do you really want to be a Rain Man about watches? WIS are only comfortable amongst each other. The key to integrating with normal people is knowing when to WIS on and WIS off. However, if you thirst for more knowledge I'll give you the same link I give to others. It's a "watches for dummies" reference where most of the installments are written by a really big dummy: http://www.watchtalkforums.info/foru...ad.php?t=22496
    As always, I am in awe when I read your posts. OK, that might be stretching it. But I am a little uncomfortable because I relate a bit too much...

B

I'm not convinced there is such a clear cut threshold between a WI and a WIS.

But one thing's for sure - you will definitely learn a lot from hanging out on this forum.

& when you become a W.I.S. you'll have W.I.S. syndrome....."wife-is-screaming" & she'll be paraphrasing that great line from "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre"......"watches, watches, you don't need no stinking watches"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information