Wife just inherited 18k gold Rolex Datejust with diamonds. Help please!!! *PIC*
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Wife just inherited 18k gold Rolex Datejust with diamonds. Help please!!! *PIC*

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wife just inherited 18k gold Rolex Datejust with diamonds. Help please!!! *PIC*

Got the watch today. Very very nice of her grandma to give it to her. Not looking to sell it but interested in knowing more about it like its value. The watch is from 1990. I have all the original paperwork and the original flowered box is in perfect condition. I even have a paper saying the watch was had a complete service in 2004. Ive tried to do alittle searching and it seems they go from the 10-15k range depending on condition and diamonds. This one seems to have more diamonds than the usual ones. Not only does is have a diamond bezel and diamonds for the numerals it has another ow going around the face. Your knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Wife just inherited 18k gold Rolex Datejust with diamonds. Help please!!! *PIC*

Quote Originally Posted by wildbills watches View Post
    Got the watch today. Very very nice of her grandma to give it to her. Not looking to sell it but interested in knowing more about it like its value. The watch is from 1990. I have all the original paperwork and the original flowered box is in perfect condition. I even have a paper saying the watch was had a complete service in 2004. Ive tried to do alittle searching and it seems they go from the 10-15k range depending on condition and diamonds. This one seems to have more diamonds than the usual ones. Not only does is have a diamond bezel and diamonds for the numerals it has another ow going around the face. Your knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Beautiful watch and a great gift. I'm afraid giving valuation is against the terms of use on this forum. Your best bet is to have it evaluated by an authorized Rolex dealer.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Re: Wife just inherited 18k gold Rolex Datejust with diamonds. Help please!!! *PIC*

Quote Originally Posted by RBrylawski View Post
    Beautiful watch and a great gift. I'm afraid giving valuation is against the terms of use on this forum. Your best bet is to have it evaluated by an authorized Rolex dealer.
    Will do. Thank you

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

... and unless you're planning on keeping it full-time in a safe deposit box, have it insured.

(a suggestion: if you can find someone who will appraise it for its market value as a vintage piece, rather than full new replacement value, you might save quite a bit on premiums, but if lost or stolen, you'd only get the lesser amount.)
    Last edited by dbakiva; March 18th, 2013 at 04:35.
    RBrylawski likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Quote Originally Posted by dbakiva View Post
    ... and unless you're planning on keeping it full-time in a safe deposit box, have it insured.

(a suggestion: if you can find someone who will appraise it for its market value as a vintage piece, rather than full new replacement value, you might save quite a bit on premiums, but if lost or stolen, you'd only get the lesser amount.)
    Ok thanks.

Your wife is a very lucky woman! There is nothing better than a timepiece with sentimental values, especially a Rolex. This one will likely be worth far more to your wife than it ever can be sold for.
    napel likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Out of curiosity, will she wear it?

I mean... well... that's quite a watch... ;)

It's a beautiful watch. I suspect that the diamonds on the bezel and dial are aftermarket additions, because of the spacing on the "T SWISS MADE T" at the bottom of the dial. Also this indicates that the dial originally had tritium lume dots, but this appears to have been removed.

If your plan is to keep it, one possibility is to revert it back to a fluted bezel and plain dial, which might make it a bit more versatile for more regular wear.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Well spotted mleok

Yes mleok. I was sure the dial was an aftermarket job with those diamonds set onto the dial around the edge because Rolex always puts diamonds into a setting, never directly into the dial. That is not the best workmanship and makes it obvious that the dial is not original. Unfortunately it is disappointingly expensive to put an OEM dial on the watch.
    Last edited by Gary123; March 18th, 2013 at 16:40.
    JSI likes this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information