I posted this in the Ball forum, but thought I'd share it here too.
I've had a business and personal relationship with BMW for a number of years and have been wanting a Ball watch as a dressier tritium option for the collection, so I was pretty excited when I saw this guy a few months ago, sporty, dressy and the logo is pretty understated.
As a small business owner, this year (our 4th) turned out to be our first real winner of a year, so I had the watch fund bulked up and was looking at a couple of watches in this price range when we were at a local jewelry story that sells Ball watches. I was paying for a gift for a family member while my wife was buying this behind my back because "it would go with the new car" :)
My likes on this guy are (in no particular order):
- Size, 43 mm is perfect for my 7.5 in wrist.
- Case design-love the sides, back and crown
- Super smooth wind, I have not played with the GMT yet so I have no idea how it works :)
- Dial- not a huge fan of co-branding so I like how subdued the BMW logo is, and I love the layers and textures on the dial. I tried to capture that in the pictures below along with the domed crystal
- Bracelet-can't really tell from the pictures but the middle links are curved in which gives the bracelet a great look and feel. the clasp is a nice secure butterfly
- Innards-this is my first 2893 GMT so I have to play around with it but it is been very accurate so far (-6s in 3 days kinda thing). The Amortizer is cool too and I would wear this playing golf.
- Lume- Love the orange, it is very clear to read at night compared to green or blue tritium for my eyes
Things I would change:
- Lume- Blue tritium at 12 looks out of place to me
- Bracelet- a little picky on my hairy arms when I'm cold and it is a little loose. Also one of the links got "stuck" backwards and I had to force it loose again. That will be a long term concern.
- Face-I don't really care for the hash marks on the chapter ring. I know they represent the dashboard markings, but they look weak to the naked eye
- Case/Bracelet-top of the lugs are polished and the bracelet is brushed. between that and the way the link and lugs fit together it could be finished better.
Overall- This is a fantastic watch and about the only co-brander i ever saw that I would wear regularly. It is my nicest watch at this point and I can definitely tell the difference. I worry about wear to the bracelet and the raised crystal, but think overall both are great features. And while this was not the watch I was planning on getting, my wife did a fantastic job picking it out! She (and it) is a keeper!
now on to the pics (sorry about the fuzzies and shadows) Thanks for looking!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk