Will adding a cyclops affect value?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Will adding a cyclops affect value?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Will adding a cyclops affect value?

Howdy gang. New here & new to watches. I like dive watches & am interested in the Hydroconquest. I like the look of a cyclops & am wondering if adding one will affect the value of the Watch? Thnx.

Don't hear that every day. From time to time I hear people wanting to get rid of them.

I would say adding it would decrease the watches value. It has nothing to do with the cyclops itself, its just modified watches in general are harder to sell.

Re: Will adding a cyclops affect value?

I have actually done this before. On sapphire, it doesn’t need to be a permanent mod. A swift blow will usually knock it off if you don’t like it. I bought the cyclops on eBay, and clear UV glue from Amazon.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130G World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have you investigated how you might go about this? I have never heard of someone adding a cyclops. The simplest manner I imagine would be to replace the crystal entirely with one that featured a cyclops, which would have the bonus of allowing you to swap back again so as not to affect resale. That however would require that such a thing was available for the hydroconquest in the first. I'm sure retro-fitting to the existing crystal is possible, but yes, modded watches can definitely be harder to sell.

Ard

Since a watch (most watches) will not be worth what you paid for it if you decide to sell it I would do whatever I darn well pleased with it. We are not talking about an ultra high end watch here. The Hydroconquest is not a cheap watch but I wouldn't lose sleep over the harm that a date magnifier will do to value.

Date magnifiers are about $10-$40 on eBay.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130G World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

It will affect value (who knows whether it might be in a positive way or in a negative way) but only if you sell it!
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

There are tutorials on YouTube on how to do it & ive also heard that you can get it professionally done for fairly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by DilliTime View Post
    Have you investigated how you might go about this? I have never heard of someone adding a cyclops. The simplest manner I imagine would be to replace the crystal entirely with one that featured a cyclops, which would have the bonus of allowing you to swap back again so as not to affect resale. That however would require that such a thing was available for the hydroconquest in the first. I'm sure retro-fitting to the existing crystal is possible, but yes, modded watches can definitely be harder to sell.
    It's easy to do. They are cheap to buy and easy to install with UV glue. The main thing is to get a decent one, 2.5x and preferably sapphire, otherwise their utility is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    It's easy to do. They are cheap to buy and easy to install with UV glue. The main thing is to get a decent one, 2.5x and preferably sapphire, otherwise their utility is limited.
    I'd never really considered it I must say, but now you've got me considering if any of my affordable fun pieces could benefit from a bit of cyclopsing....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information