Will i be over my head in repair costs (cleaning and timing)?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Will i be over my head in repair costs (cleaning and timing)?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Will i be over my head in repair costs (cleaning and timing)?

So, i recently picked up a nice automatic Invicta (i know, i KNOW), that i admit i am truly taken with (rather than repost, shots are here:Let's see your limited editions - Page 9)

However, like all things in life, it appears that this one needs some work. The movement (Setila SW200) has lost 10 seconds since i set it this morning (~4 hours ago). Even worse, this is after i tweaked the regulation to the + a bit.. i have more to go, but i fear that there is a deeper issue; she probably needs a good cleaning (i estimate the watch is around 8 years old, but no idea if it was cleaned... ever....).

There is the problem though.. i paid $235 for the watch, and and blown away by many of the local cleaning estimates being easily into $350+ (mostly online base quotes).I love the watch, but i really hesitate to pay more than i paid for it to get it cleaned (i realize it may be worth more than i paid, but still). Am i really going to have to pay through the nose (at least to me.. sorry, but a couple hundie is alot right now... ) to get her flawless? Or should i just tweak the regulator again, and accept that i have an entry level auto at that daily corrections will be needed (which really puts a huge damper on it for me to be honest.....)?

Re: Will i be over my head in repair costs (cleaning and timing)?

Firstly, do you know what you are doing to regulate a watch? You really need to know what you are doing and only adjust the tiniest bit at a time. You may be doing more harm than good.

If you can't find anyone to service it for an acceptable price then it may end up cheaper to replace the movement entirely.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Well, i certainly understand that one thing wrong and i have hosed it. That said, i do have the proper tools (adjustable caseback opener, jewlers screwdriver) for an eyeball adjustment, but i admit that i don't have a timing machine to get it pinpoint correct. Before opening it, i did do all the reading i could (since it is an ETA clone, there is no shortage of basic guides), so i know where the regulator screw is (the ONLY one to touch), and how to adjust it (in the broad sense.. towards the plus has marks in my case, since i am losing time).

But that said, having lost now close to 12 seconds tells me that this is likely beyond regulation; likely something needs cleaning, etc. And i really don't think i want to drive the screw 90 degrees, hence getting it properly serviced. Still... that kind of price is actually correct? and wouldn't a whole new movement be even more overkill?? I know they are delicate, but the price seems so exorbitant..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A whole new movement is likely to be overkill, but after a quick look on ebay its cheaper than the prices quoted!

You should be able to get it looked at for a lot less though. As for where to look, I'm afraid I can't help you.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    A whole new movement is likely to be overkill, but after a quick look on ebay its cheaper than the prices quoted!

You should be able to get it looked at for a lot less though. As for where to look, I'm afraid I can't help you.
    After you mentioned a new movement i looked, and you arent kidding.. Guess i cant totally brush off that idea...Still would need a watch maker to transplant it though..

I am going to call around my area a bit, and see what people think. I am hoping since it is a common movement, maybe it wont be as expensive to clean and service..

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Look around. You should be able to get a basic cleaning and lube done for about half the cost of a full service (which is what it sounds you've been quoted). That's about all I would do for that particular watch.

Throw it in the bin or give it to the kids to play with.
    I don't think its worth fixing some affordables, especially if it costs more to fix than buy a new one.
    Last edited by Cobia; October 24th, 2016 at 17:33.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentYYC View Post
    Look around. You should be able to get a basic cleaning and lube done for about half the cost of a full service (which is what it sounds you've been quoted). That's about all I would do for that particular watch.
    I might have to try my wording differently.. calling a few places has given me quotes of 399 and up..... *sigh*..

Quote Originally Posted by Cobia View Post
    Throw it in the bin or give it to the kids to play with.
    I don't think its worth fixing some affordables, especially if it costs more to fix than buy a new one.
    I am not sure i could have a less helpful post, thank you. unlike others, i do value the watch, especially given its beautiful face (heck, i enjoy the whole thing actually). And yes, while i understand that people here can drop thousands on watches without second though, i don't like the idea of just chucking a few hundred in the bin.. sheesh...

Cobia's post may have seemed a little harsh but he actually had a good point. With any affordable watch you need to consider if it is worth paying the money required to have it repaired or whether that money would be better spent on contributing to a new watch.
    mpalmer and Cobia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Cobia's post may have seemed a little harsh but he actually had a good point. With any affordable watch you need to consider if it is worth paying the money required to have it repaired or whether that money would be better spent on contributing to a new watch.
    Ill agree honestly with the base idea (heck, i try to live by the idea of not throwing good money after bad); i get that there may be little to do with it other than shelve it as a collectors item. I was just put off by the rude attitude that it should be chucked or become a plaything.. it may have issues, but its not worthless..

That said, I may try tweaking the regulation a bit more, and then just calling it. It (to me of course...) is a nice looking piece, and still functions in general, so i could happily wear it for occasions. I will just be mindful its not perfect and i should keep looking for another auto for my collection...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast