Will our kids and grandkids wear watches?
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Will our kids and grandkids wear watches?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Will our kids and grandkids wear watches?

I was at a conference in Nashville recently and listened to a keynote presentation by a "futurist" who studies trends and tries to predict what will happen over the next 50 years or so. So he talked about a lot of things-- impact on rising energy costs, aging of the US population, growth of emerging markets, etc. But one of his 8-10 trends he was forecasting for the next 50 years is that the wristwatch will basically go the way of the pocket watch and become an anachronism. His reason? No, not the iWatch (in fact he predicted the failure of the iWatch and similar devices)... but rather the mobile phone. His argument is that the mobile phone is taking the place of many devices (music player, gps, calculator, gaming device, personal organizer, etc) and that the watch will be just one more thing... he said kids in school today largely dont wear watches because they can just "check their phone" for the time.

I am very dubious about this claim for several reasons

1) I wear a watch as much as a fashion accessory than for the time (tho i suppose pocket watches were like that too)
    2) as far as kids go.. i have 5 kids and the ones who are school age arent allowed to have phones in school... so i fthey want to know the time they have to wear a watch.. and I figure if they get used to wearing a watch for the first 15 years or so of life then prob they will keep doing so (tho I have no particular agenda)
    3) its still more work to take my phone out of my pocket than glance at my watch...

Still tho this guy is like this super famous guy who predicted some major things in the last few decades... I think he was from USC.. well known guy (forget his name at this second)..

What do you guys think?

Re: Will our kids and grandkids wear watches?

USC (University of South Carolina).......He may be right some of the time, which he will be more than happy to tell you about,
    but he's not right all the time.....Did you notice if he was wearing a watch? Was it an Invicta?
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

I think he is completely wrong. IMO watches will become more prevalent as fashion accessories / statements in time. Watches will continue to be the only real piece of acceptable jewellery for men (along with rings).

Mankind has been able to tell the time from cellphones for 15 years or more already (I had my first cellphone in 1996, and was well behind the curve!!), so why will anything change now...?
    samanator likes this.
    It's difficult to say what my sister does; she sells sea shells on the sea shore...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I highly doubt it, the demise of the watch has been predicted for many years but even with mobile phones the way it is, the watch industry is booming, especially with the rise of Asia's new middle class, a billion strong, now with disposable income to buy what others have had access to for years. Just look at even the high end brands like ALS or PP, fighting to open as many boutiques in China as fast as possible, whereas previously Chinese consumers had to travel to places like Hong Kong for such things, thus inflating Hong Kong's status as the top importer of luxury watches in the world. For the middle and upper class, besides a car/house, a watch is about the only status symbol that can be transplanted anywhere, from boardroom meetings to black tie events, and especially in countries where personal space is smaller, it is a critical indicator of status.

For the rest of us, watches will remain a tool to tell time when a mobile phone is inconvenient (such as swimming, exercising, formal events) as well as personal statement/jewelry. It is one of the few socially acceptable jewelry for men and will remain so. As for the younger generations, many wear watches as fashion statements but also to tell time, as mobile phones are banned in the majority of schools worldwide; mechanical watches are very rare to find on younger people though. Watches can be likened to wedding rings or suits, they are too embedded in our collective consciousness that they will never disappear. If you walk around, half of the public wear watches, and the other half most certainly have one laying around. This level of product penetration is simply too big.
    Last edited by yifu; November 3rd, 2013 at 13:27.
    Luisão and omgomgyouguys like this.

My solution is to try and spread the institution of giving watches as gifts. That was how I ended up an irrational, compulsive watch person guy. Parents took me shopping for a watch for my 18th birthday and voila! The effect may have been even greater if my dad was a WIS and handed me down something. That's my plan anyway.
    MusicPDX likes this.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

Yes, they will. They already are, at a young age before they get phones. Hopefully, like me, even when they are actively using a phone, tablet or lap top they will still check their wrist for the time. Even in the office, where the time is on my desk phone, mobile, lap top and iPad I still instinctively use my watch. Don't trust all the electrickery!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 116000
    1965 Accurist Shockmaster
    1961 Gold Accurist Shockmaster
    Seiko SSC021P1
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00

Meistersinger Perigraph AM1002
    G-Shock GW3000B-1A

Rolex Submariner 14060M
    Ben Sherman S489.OOBS
    1990 Rotary Gold Case

THS

I'd like to hear him explain the resurgence of vinyl records. Besides the fact that I greatly prefer to spend 300 milliseconds to check my watch for the time than drag a phone out of my pocket (which might even be highly impractical if I'm riding a bike or driving), there are other aspects that this guy fails to consider. Watches are functional pieces or art that you can wear, that coupled with the fact that it they are one of the few pieces of jewelry a man can wear in western culture, I highly doubt they'll disappear any time soon.
    MusicPDX likes this.
    Omega Marine Chronometer cal 1516
    Omega Speedmaster Professional cal 861 (ca 1970)
    Kemmner Flieger type A
    Citizen Nighthawk (black)
    Citizen ana-digi Promaster ca 1987 (beater)

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    USC (University of South Carolina).......He may be right some of the time, which he will be more than happy to tell you about,
    but he's not right all the time.....Did you notice if he was wearing a watch? Was it an Invicta?

LOL thats a great question, no I didnt notice, and it was a huge auditorium so I doubt i could have seen the brand .. tho even if he was his point was not about old guys like him but about the next generation.

A phone is no substitute for a watch - the batteries only last a day or two - not much use when camping. Or accessing whilst climbing a rockface. And they're not waterproof. And the screens always crack, unlike a g-shock. And they look rubbish with a tux.

Seems like watches are more popular than ever when you look at prices, r &d, media/ forums...

And for all this talk of younger people not wearing watches, every 20something I know wears a fossil or a gshock..

As long as there are people appreciating the artistry and craftsmanship there will be wearing watches.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information