Will sapphire crystal age?
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Will sapphire crystal age?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Will sapphire crystal age?

looking at vintage timepieces, almost all of them seem to have very yellow and stained crystals. I assume that most of them use mineral crystals or acrylic. Was wondering if this will happen to sapphire or will the clarity remain perfectly the same after decades?
    SOTC: Tudor Black Bay 58, Steinhart Ocean One Bronze, Zelos Hammerhead 2 Bronze Forged Carbon, Seiko Coral Blue Sumo, Dracula Monster, SARG003 Alpinist, Casio G-Shock DW6900 (1995), G-Shock GR8900A

Gone but not forgotten
    : Steinhart Ocean One 39 Ceramic, Zelos Swordfish v2, Seiko SARY055, Gilt Turtle, Baby Tuna, Casio Edifice

Re: Will sapphire crystal age?

Quote Originally Posted by Nudgedoink View Post
    looking at vintage timepieces, almost all of them seem to have very yellow and stained crystals. I assume that most of them use mineral crystals or acrylic. Was wondering if this will happen to sapphire or will the clarity remain perfectly the same after decades?
    Sapphire doesn't age. The yellow tinting happens to acylic crystals only. Sapphire watch crystals are actual sapphire, albeit artificially grown, but chemically 100% real sapphire even though. So they don't age any differently to real sapphire gemstones or other jewels. And as we all know, diamonds are forever..
    obomomomo, lvt, Nudgedoink and 5 others like this.

lvt

I think even if sapphire does age, it's not something you could notice with naked eyes.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    Sapphire doesn't age. The yellow tinting happens to acylic crystals only. Sapphire watch crystals are actual sapphire, albeit artificially grown, but chemically 100% real sapphire even though. So they don't age any differently to real sapphire gemstones or other jewels. And as we all know, diamonds are forever..
    To add some background to this: the natural gemstones we mine for were formed in the earth's crust >1 billion(!!) years ago. And that time in rock or soil obviously didn't affect their clarity (natural impurities in jewels are embedded in the crystal structure when it forms, not over time). So we can safely say that any time period meaningful to human life definitely has no effect whatsoever on corundum = sapphire.

Not sure if that can be said about AR coating, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    To add some background to this: the natural gemstones we mine for were formed in the earth's crust >1 billion(!!) years ago. And that time in rock or soil obviously didn't affect their clarity (natural impurities in jewels are embedded in the crystal structure when it forms, not over time). So we can safely say that any time period meaningful to human life definitely has no effect whatsoever on corundum = sapphire.

Not sure if that can be said about AR coating, though.
    That's an interesting point about the AR. I'm wondering if it would fog up over time.
    SOTC: Tudor Black Bay 58, Steinhart Ocean One Bronze, Zelos Hammerhead 2 Bronze Forged Carbon, Seiko Coral Blue Sumo, Dracula Monster, SARG003 Alpinist, Casio G-Shock DW6900 (1995), G-Shock GR8900A

Gone but not forgotten
    : Steinhart Ocean One 39 Ceramic, Zelos Swordfish v2, Seiko SARY055, Gilt Turtle, Baby Tuna, Casio Edifice

Quote Originally Posted by Nudgedoink View Post
    That's an interesting point about the AR. I'm wondering if it would fog up over time.
    Don't people say Rolex doesn't put AR coating on their watches because the AR could fog over time?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VL123 View Post
    Don't people say Rolex doesn't put AR coating on their watches because the AR could fog over time? Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by murokello View Post
    No.
    Then why doesn't Rolex use AR on their crystals?

Then why doesn't Rolex use AR on their crystals? Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    They have never stated why.

Then why doesn't Rolex use AR on their crystals?

Maybe so that it reflects like crazy, and “blings”? Catches attention.

Don’t newer rolexes start having AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information