On Winders

Thread: On Winders

On Winders

I searched the forum and found a few discussions on winders for automatic watches. Mostly they were either items for sale, or discussions on whether a cheap winder can damage a watch.

Anyway, I hope my question has not been addressed already and I apologize if it has. The concept of a winder is pretty simple and I don't understand why they are so expensive. I'm wondering if there are any inexpensive winders that are considered safe and reliable. After all, they are just a motor and a timer. Thanks for any recommendations.

The ones that were mentioned in the forum were orbita (expensive), steinmart, wolf, boxy, and brookstone. Any thoughts on these or others? There are lots of double winders on ebay for under $100.

Re: On Winders

Most any winder shouldn't damage your watch. All automatic movements can't be overwound, so if the winder spins it too often that shouldn't be a problem. Most movements have some sort of shock protection, and I've yet to see a winder abuse a watch worse than it could be on someone's wrist. Some people do play golf, ride motorcycles or otherwise abuse their watches - at least according to others - yet the watches perform just fine.

That said, I would prefer a winder to be as gentle as possible. Just seems like there would be less wear over time if it was gently wound the minimum needed as opposed to really being flung wildly around all the time. I've had a few winders over the years, mostly those inexpensive eBay sorts. They all kept the watches running and no watch ever failed, although every winder did fail before too long. Still, I always thought they were a little rough with the watch.

I won a Sparta Orbita winder a few months back and that one seems to work very well. The motor rotates once every 10 minutes. The watch sits still for 5 minutes and then takes 5 minutes to rotate 180 degrees. It then rolls over and swings back and forth for a bit and the process repeats. It's a very gentle motion that should be easy on the watch. I've also seen winders used in repair shops that slowly rotate the watches around. The hold something like eight watches and are often hung on the wall. Not nearly as fancy looking as the eBay ones, but also seem gentle on the watches.

Re: On Winders

Quote Originally Posted by deepdrop View Post
    I searched the forum and found a few discussions on winders for automatic watches. Mostly they were either items for sale, or discussions on whether a cheap winder can damage a watch.

Anyway, I hope my question has not been addressed already and I apologize if it has. The concept of a winder is pretty simple and I don't understand why they are so expensive. I'm wondering if there are any inexpensive winders that are considered safe and reliable. After all, they are just a motor and a timer. Thanks for any recommendations.

The ones that were mentioned in the forum were orbita (expensive), steinmart, wolf, boxy, and brookstone. Any thoughts on these or others? There are lots of double winders on ebay for under $100.
    You will get what you pay for. Orbirta winders cost more because som e thought went into the design. They are programmable for a large number of watches and the settings actually work.

Yes, the motion of a winder looks simple at first glance. It takes some effort to simulate arm motion needed to flip the rotor efficiently and to not over or under wind th watch.

Thread Information