Windy City help, headed to Chicago!
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Windy City help, headed to Chicago!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Windy City help, headed to Chicago!

So, in a few weeks, headed to Chicago for the Inside Basel Show (see One Big WUS thread.)

Obviously, any "must-see" watch shops to recommend, please feel free. I'm really looking forward to a few days off, especially with a good bud. Looking forward immensely to meeting dbakiva and TGE as well.

But back to my query, what should I see? Last time there was before my WIS life. I can only assume there are some quality shopped to peruse? Especially anything out of the norm, or a great used venue?

Also, where to eat? Last time there, ate at the Twin Anchors for ribs, was alright. Also, tried the Original UNO's, which I liked a lot. Aside from the obvious (like Capitol Grill, Mortons and Ruth's Chris) what's a really good local steak joint? Or any other eatery favorites, please let me know, much appreciated!

Dan
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

Re: Windy City help, headed to Chicago!

Tourneau in the Water Tower and Shaw's Crab House.
    Formerguide likes this.

Just a couple notes for now:

Ribs favorites: Smoque (3800 N. Pulaski - NW side) and Honey One (2241 North Western Avenue - near-ish North side). Both joints, but excellent ribs.

Steaks - you named some good ones, I'd add old school Chicago favorite, Gene & Georgetti's, 500 N. Franklin - across the river, not far from downtown), and Gibson's at 1028 N. Rush

Comment on Watchbreath's post: I like Shaw's. It's one of the Lettuce Entertain You chain of restaurants (along with Wildfire, another good 50s style dinner-clubby steakhouse), most of which are very good.

Tourneau does not have good food.

(Edit: Petterino's is decent too, supper clubby, celeb-pics-on-the-wall style , and at 150 N. Dearborn, in the theater district, it's probably only a 15 minute walk from the Union Club. Also, check out the Berghoff - a German style restaurant that is about as old-style Chicago as you can get. At the end of Prohibition, they were issued Chicago's liquor license #1. - a very short walk at 17 W. Adams.)
    Last edited by dbakiva; August 29th, 2012 at 05:12.
    Formerguide likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys!

I actually ate at Gene & Georgetti's a few years back, it was excellent, totally forgot!

Think I'll try Smoque on Monday. I will PM you (dbakiva and TGE) when it gets closer. Thanks! I am pretty stoked, good food, watches, an old friend, can't wait.

My wife just gave me my "allowance" which was far more than anticipated, so I feel pretty set.

Dan
    dbakiva likes this.
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Tourneau in the Water Tower and Shaw's Crab House.
    There's also a watch store inside water tower ,forgot the name though

Chicago Chop House is one of my favorites for steaks, but I've always been partial to Morton's. However, I haven't been to Morton's since its recent sale to the Landry Group. Lots of great steakhouses in Chicago. Haven't been in years, but I always loved Carson's for ribs.
    Formerguide likes this.

TGE
    Omega boutique is close to the Tourneau.

A mile or so south on Wabash is New York Jewelers which carries a few brands and has a couple pretty good guys. Howard Frum is really close to there too and is smaller but I recall has Rolex and Panerai and a few others. Marshall Pierce has Omega and was clearing out their Breitling stock a couple weeks ago when I went in there. Pretty limited selection all around in there.

Food-wise I can just add one or two - HB on the north side of town is a small place with a small menu of interesting food - kind of southern food cooked in a French style. Very very good, and BYOB if you're into such things.

If you need a break from fancier stuff, there's a little Costa Rican joint a mile or two north or downtown called Irazu we really like, Portillos has several locations and good hot dogs and chocolate cake shakes, and I really like Aurelio's pizza which also has several locations.

Can't wait, we're looking forward to meeting you guys.
    - Tim
    Formerguide and dbakiva like this.
    Regards,
    Tim

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals." - The Stranger

Man, wish I were in town this sounds like a great weekend coming up!

I know Tim and dbakiva will show you a good time though Dan.
    Formerguide likes this.
    -Matt

Collection
    Current: 116710BLNR ("Batman"), ♛ 116610LV ("Hulk"), ♛ 116600 ("SD4K"), ♛ Milgauss White Dial (hers), ♛ Oyster Perpetual 31 3,6,9 Blue Dial (hers), G Shock 7900B-1 Rescue Series
    Incoming:
    Wish List: JLC Master Control Date
    , Ω Speedmaster DSOTM (311.92.44.51.01.007), VC Overseas Blue Dial

You might want to check out Swiss Fine Timing at 645 N. Michigan. I've bought watches at the Highland Park store, never been to the one downtown. They carry GO, Breguet, AP, Zenith, Blancpain, Journe, Chopard, Panerai, GP and more.
    As for food, just go to Al's and get an Italian Beef.
    Formerguide likes this.
    KG

Breguet Type XXI
    Dievas Voyageur
    Hamilton Halesworth “A” 1955
    Illinois 1917 Pocket watch
    Magrette Moana Pacific Chronograph
    Omega SMP 300 Bond Chronograph
    Oris Chronograph
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Tissot Touch Expert Pilot
    Zentih Elite Ultra Thin

Chicago has so much more to offer than steaks!

Go to any place on this list, and you won't regret it, I promise:

http://www.michelintravel.com/method...d-restaurants/

For cheaper eats:

Hot Doug's has the best hot dogs/sausages in the city.
    Kuma's Korner has some of the best burgers.
    Xoco has delicious Mexican street food.

For cocktails:

The Violet Hour (!!!)
    Sable
    The Drawing Room

I could go on and on...

I really hope you enjoy your trip!
    Formerguide and dbakiva like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information