WIS story of buy, sell, trade and the last two years! My story...tell yours!
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: WIS story of buy, sell, trade and the last two years! My story...tell yours!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WIS story of buy, sell, trade and the last two years! My story...tell yours!

It is interesting what it takes to find out what you really like and what aspects of a watch are really most important. I have loved watches for several years and up until about two years ago, my collection consisted of some G-Shocks, a Bell & Ross Vintage 126XL and a blue dial Omega AT2500, 42mm. About two years ago, I decided to reinvent the collection. Sold the B&R and then sold the blue dial AT2500 - that might have been a mistake, but had no idea how tough they were to find, but the 42mm without a bezel always wore pretty big. And off we go....

Bought a Perrelet Big Date Ti Chrono, wore it a few eeks but didn't like the strap and the dial looked, well, too flashy for me with the carbon fiber bits. Sold the Perrelet.

Bought an Omega Speedmaster 3570...still have it. Love it. It is the basis of what started an understanding of the importance of simplicity and comfort.

Bought an Omega Planet Ocean 2500D, orange numerals 42mm....loved it, but was eventually traded out.

Bought an Omega Seamaster Pro Chrono in blue on bracelet.....to heavy and thick, and the 7750 rotor wobble annoyed me.

Bought an Omega Aqua Terra 8500 grey teck dial 41.5mm...still have it, after trading it out once and buying it back!

Traded the Seamaster Pro Chrono plus cash for an IWC Aquatimer 2000 in white. Loved it...but too big for my 6.5 in, wrists and the rubber strap was always too big or too small. Which has seemed to ALWAYS be the issue with me and rubber straps, too big or too small.

Traded the IWC towards a Bremont World Timer....the first one had a misalinged marker and the second one had internal bezel issues and the 7750 rotor wobble once again killed me, that watch was not kept and sent back to AD who worked with me and I got the IWC back

Bought a Bremont MB2 orange barrel....still have it, love it.

Bought an Omega Seamaster Chrono Ti on strap....it was running about +20 per day, returned it to dealer and they refunded me.

Traded out the AT8500 for IWC Vintage Ingenieur...loved that watch, but at 14mm thick, it was confusing and I couldn't wear with dress shirts.....traded back and got the AT8500 back for a few hundred bucks...

Traded IWC AT2000 towards JLC Master Compressor Geographic...pretty cool watch, but not dressy enough and not sporty enough and a little too busy for me.

Traded out the the JLC and 2500D PO for Rolex Explorer II 216570 Polar.....awesome piece, but too big for my wrists

Bought IWC AT Ti on rubber strap, liked it but older version of rubber strap was too big or too small and the color of the Ti and the yellow just made the watch, feel, well cheap...sold it two weeks later.

Bought a 42mm Omega Planet Ocean 8500, felt too small and unbalanced

Traded for 45mm PO8500 on strap...loved it for a week, waaaaay too big for my wrist and rubber strap was too small or too big

Traded 45mm for the 42mm again on bracelet....learned the 42mm 8500 was a perfect fit....still have it and love it.

Traded the Explorer II for a BNIB Explorer I 39mm. Still have it, love it the most of anything.

Through the process, I actually learned things that I wanted to like, but couldn't live with. I learned that simplicity can beautiful. I learned that a 6.5 in wrist is pretty small. I learned that a watch that is 50mm lug to lug is too big for me. I learned that I love comfy steel bracelets (Oyster Professional, Speedy, PO, AT). I learned that 42mm is my max (Bremont is 43mm but wears smaller), I learned that a 42mm can wear like a 44mm and a 44mm can wear like a 46mm and a 39mm can wear like a 42mm and that 40-42mm is perfection, I learned that there are lots of cool watches that don't fit me, I learned that comfort is really the most important thing, I learned that most of the people on this forum are awesome to deal with, I learned having a great relationship with an AD is VERY important, I learned that I am not a fan of big watches, I learned that I love rubber straps but most of them don't work for me, I learned that buying too many watches can make your Wife angry and I learned that my favorite watch after all of this is....my 39mm Rolex Explorer I 214270....had you told me this 2 years ago I would have laughed!

Wonder if any of this sounds familiar to my friends here on WUS....tell your story! ( I also learned that I may have left a couple pieces out of the story...which is amazing that I can overlook and forget these types of purchases)

Current stable for a while:

Rolex Explorer 214270
    Bremont MB2 Orange
    Omega Planet Ocean 8500 42mm
    Omega Speedmaster
    Omega Aqua Terra grey 41.5mm

LBH23

Re: WIS story of buy, sell, trade and the last two years! My story...tell yours!

Great story! Thanks for sharing it. I'm envious; The Explorer (I) and Speedmaster are grails of mine
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Re: WIS story of buy, sell, trade and the last two years! My story...tell yours!

Awesome read, I was spellbound! Only to freaks like us, eh? And, dang does it sound familiar . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Love em' both. Prefect watches and both represent the history of the two most prominent Swiss watch companies. Hope you find them in your watch box soon!

I've got 15 with 5 listed FS right now...When/if I sell the five....I'll list 5 more.
    I want to get down to just five watches...That's it, just 5!

Terrific thread! Ill post my journey when Im in front of a keyboard.

PS. My wife thinks Im crazy too.

Quote Originally Posted by lbh23 View Post
    Through the process, I actually learned things that I wanted to like, but couldn't live with. I learned that simplicity can beautiful. I learned that a 6.5 in wrist is pretty small. I learned that a watch that is 50mm lug to lug is too big for me. I learned that I love comfy steel bracelets (Oyster Professional, Speedy, PO, AT). I learned that 42mm is my max (Bremont is 43mm but wears smaller), I learned that a 42mm can wear like a 44mm and a 44mm can wear like a 46mm and a 39mm can wear like a 42mm and that 40-42mm is perfection, I learned that there are lots of cool watches that don't fit me, I learned that comfort is really the most important thing, I learned that most of the people on this forum are awesome to deal with, I learned having a great relationship with an AD is VERY important, I learned that I am not a fan of big watches, I learned that I love rubber straps but most of them don't work for me, I learned that buying too many watches can make your Wife angry and I learned that my favorite watch after all of this is....my 39mm Rolex Explorer I 214270....had you told me this 2 years ago I would have laughed!
    Great post...especially the lessons learned. I should have learned the most important lesson (which I inconspicuously highlighted in bold and red above) much earlier on, but it's too late for me now. Love your watch journey. If I had the intestinal fortitude, I'd embark on a similar path of watch discovery, but I'm a "buy 'em and keep 'em until I die" type of guy. I always rediscover something that I love about each of my pieces every time it comes up in the rotation, even if it doesn't get as much wrist love as some others. It just means I collect more and more watches that I think I'd love to own...thereby disregarding (at my own risk) the most important lesson.
    ...(as I quickly glance over my shoulder to make sure my wife isn't reading what I'm typing).
    little big feather likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    I've got 15 with 5 listed FS right now...When/if I sell the five....I'll list 5 more.
    I want to get down to just five watches...That's it, just 5!
    Hats off if/when you succeed. Dunno how many time I've tried, and I've stopped counting . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Thanks for sharing, it's great to see how you arrived at your current collection.
    Shearwater Research Teric --- Casio G-Shock Solar Frogman (GW-200Z) --- Citizen Promaster Titanium Aqualand (JV0051-60E) --- Seiko Prospex Solar Diver (SBDN003) --- Certina DS Action Diver Chronograph (C013.427.11.041.00) --- Rolex Submariner (114060) --- Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver (SBGA229G) --- Tudor Hydronaut II (20030-93570) --- Longines Heritage Pocket Watch (L7.012.4.21.1)

In a sense you are discovering yourself and your taste for fine time piece...great journey and thanks for sharing

lately I been on the "thinning out the stable" boat, down to 4 watches ATM, I am still debating to sell 1-2 more.

The more time and money I spent I the more I look for the perfect watch(not grail).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information