The Psychologist in me had a random thought today to try to name an affliction. My goal isn't to add this to the newest DSM but to take a good humored look at our hobby. Another way to read it might be "You might be a WIS if..." All in all, I'm just looking to have a little fun and see what the masses come up with. (I hope this is in the right forum, if not feel free to move at will)
The Dictionary defines Syndrome as:
[sin-drohm, -druh m] Show IPA
noun1.Pathology, Psychiatry. a group of symptoms that together arecharacteristic of a specific disorder, disease, or the like.
2.a group of related or coincident things, events, actions, etc.
3.the pattern of symptoms that characterize or indicate aparticular social condition.
4.a predictable, characteristic pattern of behavior, action, etc.,that tends to occur under certain circumstances: the retirementsyndrome of endless golf and bridge games; the feast-or-faminesyndrome of big business.
I'm thinking focusing on the bold will yield the most interesting results. Off the top of my head I'll start with:
1. You have enough watches at present to reasonably last the rest of your life.
2. You have trouble deciding which watch to wear on any given day.
3. By sheer numbers you could wear a different watch every day for a week and not repeat.
4. (As in my case) You have a part time job dedicated almost exclusively to collecting watches.
5. You drive a Geo metro while rocking your Rolex/Etc.
6. You notice an attractive woman/man in an ad only after trying to figure out what they are wearing.
7. You spend more than 6 hours a day on WUS