Thread: A WIS walking into Tourneau

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

A WIS walking into Tourneau

Q: "Hi, is there anything I can help you with today?"

A:
    Name:  I+know+more.jpg
Views: 5939
Size:  201.3 KB
    Daily wearer: Squale 50 Atmos. I have owned: Blancpain Leman Ultra Slim, Bremont Supermarine, IWC 818-AD, IWC Ingenieur Automatic, IWC Ingenieur Vintage Collection, IWC Mark XVI, IWC Pilot's Chrono, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control, Laco Aachen, Mühle Glashütte M12, NOMOS Glashütte Orion Weiss, Omega Seamaster Sword Hands 2254.50 (x2), Omega Speedmaster Pro (x2), Orient Excursionist, Precista PRS-18A, Rolex Oyster Speedking, Schofield Signalman DLC GMT PR, Seiko SKX007K2, Sinn 756, Squale 50 Atmos (x2), Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, Tudor Black Bay Noir, Tudor Oyster-Prince ("Big Rose"), Zenith Captain Central Seconds

Re: A WIS walking into Tourneau

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/ridi...ry-928171.html Not with this store but this was my thread about retail places you might find my story amusing.
    -JP

Come on, be nice.
    ROLEX Datejust 36mm Blueberry;
    ROLEX Pepsi GMT-Master 16700 (Circa 1987);
    ZENITH El Primero 36'000 VPH Tri-Color;
    SEIKO Prospex Solar Tuna SBDN026 (1981/3000)

Considerations:
    AUDEMARS PIGUET Royal Oak 15450
    A.LANGE & SOHNE Saxonia Thin 37mm

Instagram: Horodiziac

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had a sales guy this weekend tell me that the Bulova Precisionist was "the world's most accurate quartz", which I then corrected him "with a sweeping seconds hand", and didn't even go into the crystal aging issues its had and how very few of them actually live up to the 10 spy over time even when worn daily. Then he said most automatics beat at 5 beats per second and this Bulova is beating at 10 per second. I started to correct him (the Bulova is 16 times per second and a LOT of autos beat higher than 5 per second) but thought "Eff it, whats the use in educating this guy?". As I was leaving I said "You ever heard of Grand Seiko? (No of course he hadn't) They make a limited edition quartz that's rated at +/-5 seconds per year. They select only the best pre-aged quartz crystals and it goes for somewhere around 2 grand I think. Quartz sure has come a long way hasn't it?" He basically did the equivalent of a facial shrug and that was it. I just walked out. Hopefully he did some google-ing later on, but I doubt it...I'm finding it harder and harder to keep my mouth shut in AD's these days...ugh...I DID try though.

Edit: The GS model I was refering to is the SBGX103 and it retails for 3450.00 from an AD. So, I guess I was wrong on the price. Doh!! Had to publicly humiliate myself for this error before someone else did it for me. I don't know how much of a discount you could get, but it wouldn't be 2k, so yeah...
    Last edited by sirgilbert357; October 28th, 2013 at 17:31.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

A good friend of mine and fellow WUS'er recently told me of a time that he went into a Tourneau location in Manhattan wearing something that was less 'acceptable' than their usual stock (It may have been a Mido Multifort, but I stand to be corrected). Well, they apparently really gave him the nose-up treatment because of his watch. It didn't really leave anyone bent out of shape, as this is what I think we all expect from these types of shops.

I wish I could go in with my Seiko 5 in the hopes that they are rude, just so I can put on an ALS Dato and see how the mood changes.

The plan is flawless!

Now all I have to do is get me a Datograph...
    Außerordentliche übel erfordern außerordentliche Mittel.

Rolex - Jaeger LeCoultre - Nomos - v. Seiko - Burberry

Quote Originally Posted by movet22 View Post
    A good friend of mine and fellow WUS'er recently told me of a time that he went into a Tourneau location in Manhattan wearing something that was less 'acceptable' than their usual stock (It may have been a Mido Multifort, but I stand to be corrected). Well, they apparently really gave him the nose-up treatment because of his watch. It didn't really leave anyone bent out of shape, as this is what I think we all expect from these types of shops.

I wish I could go in with my Seiko 5 in the hopes that they are rude, just so I can put on an ALS Dato and see how the mood changes.

The plan is flawless!

Now all I have to do is get me a Datograph...
    And a hidden camera to wear so you can capture the mood swings and change of heart that will no doubt be oh-so-obvious!
    movet22 likes this.
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Give some credit...Admittedly we do encounter sales people who are new or not as knowledgable as many here. I bet the tenured sales people or managers at those stores know more about watches then most of the people on this watch forum. I'm in sales but don't obsess about my products when not working even though I know a great deal about the market.

That's why I prefer dealing with GM dealer..less snobbery and the sales seemed to be more relaxed..I went to the GM dealer in HK that sells Pam,AP,Hublot,RM,MB&F and the likes wearing my emperor tuna...after asking several questions,the salesperson ask me about my Seiko,he had seen it online,but never in person...he even asked me about GS (which I don't even have..)

You know I've had some very pleasant experiences at Torneau, particularly the one in Las Vegas. They were VERY accommodating in letting me try things on, and engaging me in conversation even after I told them they had a snowball's chance in hell of selling me a watch. I think it's silly of us as WIS to expect a Sales rep at a store a WIS would almost NEVER buy from to cater their knowledge level to OUR needs. Their target audience are regular people looking at nice watches... and for that audience the better reps know more than enough.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Is this a slight at people working hard, for little money, to provide a service? Or self-appointed "WIS" experts?
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information