WISdom metamorphosis:

Thread: WISdom metamorphosis:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WISdom metamorphosis:

Hey all, so I've begun to notice, lately, how my tastes in watches have changed almost dramatically, since I began this little infatuation of mine/ours. I'm curious to know if anybody else has seen a similar change in themselves.

Things I use to hate, but now love:
    - PVD
    - Cushion case
    - Hooded lugs

Re: WISdom metamorphosis:

Mine have changed, too. I was once interested in huge, chunky tool watches. No more. I like nothing larger than a 42mm (even that's pushing it now) and no thicker than 13mm (again, on the thick side for me). Gone are all yellow and orange dials (sorry Doxa lovers). I'm interested only in black, white and possibly dark blue. Quartz are now gone forever for me. I think there is nothing wrong with a quartz watch, mind you, but my autos keep time close enough for me. The ticking bugs me. I like clean sweeping second hands. I am through with rubber straps. Only SS or leather for my Panerai. Chronos have bitten the dust, too. I don't use them and they are too busy for me, although I still would like someday to have a Rolex Daytona (exceptions can be made in that case).

So, no more
    1) large dials
    2) thick heads
    3) colors other than black and white
    4) quartz movements
    5) chronographs

:thanks for asking

It has made me more aware--and more appreciative of--a lot of brands I didn't know about before. I was familiar with Tag, Omega, Patek Phillipe, Seiko, Bulova, Breitling, etc, but had never heard of Zenith (which I love) or Fortis (beautiful watches).

I'm also more open to toolier-looking and larger watches. Before I liked pretty little bits of jewelry. I still do, but I'm expanding my horizons to include other things.

Also my increasing fascination with mechanical watch movements has pretty much ensured I'll never again wear a quartz. Caveat here: nothing wrong with quartz, it's just that I like mechanicals.

But at heart I'm still a Rolex girl so I guess not so much has changed after all.

Jeannie

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I used to think the only good watches were the expensive big brand name watches you get at AD's. I thought auto movements were only in more expensive watches ie $1.5K+. I used to like only big chunky tool/diver type watches, now I like more dress style watches too. I've developed an interest in "classically styled" watches. I used to only buy watches if they had a bracelet now nearly my whole collection is straps. I didn't have any automatics and didn't even know manual wind watches (which now are more than half my collection) existed (except for old pocket watches). Finally I didn't even know Russian watches existed and now I've collected a few and plan to get more.

That's another thing I forgot to mention, straps. I was bracelet only for the longest time, and while I'm still bracelet primarily, I have room in my heart for my nylon friends... still not too hot on leather.

Nope!

Banned

Originally I wanted to collect auto chronos only, as I liked the complication of these movements. Then I got into chunkier pieces, SS only, bracelet only. That led inevitably to divers. Got over chronos a bit, find the dials a bit too busy normally (although I'm wearing one today and actually loving it). As I repalced all my bracelets with straps, I relised I like the feel of a strap, especially quality leather. And I've decided the whole tool watch thing relaliy is a bit silly and juvenile. Recently I've decided I want at least one hand wind watch. But I've also started getting into digital, especially ones with techie tricks, so a G is on my list as is a Protrek. And I want a real dress watch, preferably gold with gold bracelet. And if I get a handwind then it will by gold or SS or even silver or nickel, but with a croc or lizard strap, dressy too.

But I still love my divers, especially vintage, really want an OS300 and MM300, and a bunch of vinatges! Oh yeah, and at least one spring drive of some sort, and at least one Grand Seiko,a nd one King Seiko. And Royal Orient...

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    Originally I wanted to collect auto chronos only, as I liked the complication of these movements. Then I got into chunkier pieces, SS only, bracelet only. That led inevitably to divers. Got over chronos a bit, find the dials a bit too busy normally (although I'm wearing one today and actually loving it). As I repalced all my bracelets with straps, I relised I like the feel of a strap, especially quality leather. And I've decided the whole tool watch thing relaliy is a bit silly and juvenile. Recently I've decided I want at least one hand wind watch. But I've also started getting into digital, especially ones with techie tricks, so a G is on my list as is a Protrek. And I want a real dress watch, preferably gold with gold bracelet. And if I get a handwind then it will by gold or SS or even silver or nickel, but with a croc or lizard strap, dressy too.

But I still love my divers, especially vintage, really want an OS300 and MM300, and a bunch of vinatges! Oh yeah, and at least one spring drive of some sort, and at least one Grand Seiko,a nd one King Seiko. And Royal Orient...
    MM300....

I have a small wrist (6") so I used to hate even slightly large cases (>38 mm). Now, most of my watches are 40mm and above.

I used to hate cushion cases as well, but now am drawn to them. Still don't have one, though.

Dont' like chronographs, but still got a Speedy Pro.

Used to think the Seiko Monster was disgusting, it's now the newest member of my collection.
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

I used to be dead set on certain brands, but have definately branched out and appreciate many more. Used to hate straps, but now really like them, especially custom made pieces. Still love big dial watches though

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information