WiseKey x Hublot, will/should others follow?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eric L.

Thread: WiseKey x Hublot, will/should others follow?

WiseKey x Hublot, will/should others follow?

This sounds and looks like a great way to prevent fakes and guarantee authenticity on watches. Will other watch companies follow in their foot steps?

With this new technology, how long before a unique sensor is implemented in the watch itself that matched the authenticity card where they can be synced together to guarantee authenticity?

What do you guys think? Good idea or bad?

Re: WiseKey x Hublot, will/should others follow?

From what I can tell here, nothing changes on the watch. All the buyer gets is a card with an RFID tag in it, I think, and an access code to register their watch online. I suppose the online record has the watch's serial number on it, but this doesn't mean the counterfeiters won't just clone the watch, serial numbers and all.
    Lots of dive watches.

Banned

This in my opinion is a great idea and all watch manufacturers should follow suit. Heres the thing that I dont understand. If counterfiting watches is not legal then how do these companies online stay in business by selling fakes. If you type in replica watches in google you will find hundreds of websites that sell these. Why dont the watch manufacturers go after these sites? How can these sites legally stay in business. Maybe I dont know all the technicalities, so someone please enlighten me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    but this doesn't mean the counterfeiters won't just clone the watch, serial numbers and all.

Thats what I was thinking.

From what I can tell here, nothing changes on the watch. All the buyer gets is a card with an RFID tag in it, I think, and an access code to register their watch online. I suppose the online record has the watch's serial number on it, but this doesn't mean the counterfeiters won't just clone the watch, serial numbers and all.
    I guess it makes it easier to verify something as you can go online and check. For example, a watch is being sold in Florida and the card states that the owner that purchased the watch purchased it from California, I guess that is a good way to distinguish that it is a replica. The same if it has been reported as stolen.

The watchmaker could probably use this system to track watches sold in the grey markets as well?

The card just seems to be more up to date to the current owner and condition of the watch, whether it was given, sold or stolen, it can be easily determined in an instant. At least that is how I understand it's benefit. It makes it harder to replicate the watch and the digital number.

While this method might prevent fakes from being sold as genuines (such as ebay scams), it won't stop the counterfeiters from making fakes with fake serial numbers for the buyers who don't care about whether it is genuine or not - I would wager this is most of the market for fake watches.
    bbuckbbuck likes this.
    Lots of dive watches.

^^ I agree, I don't think production of replica watches will stop. As long as there are people out there who would buy them or people not careful enough to be fooled by them, there will always be replicas.

I think the card prevents and makes it easier to determine whether the watch being sold by the dealer or an individual is real. I mean based off of this website alone, it is always suggested to buy a used watch over a brand new watch 1 out of 3 times. And how many of us have been scared or backed out of buying in the buy/sell forum on a chance that it might be a replica?

While this method might prevent fakes from being sold as genuines (such as ebay scams), it won't stop the counterfeiters from making fakes with fake serial numbers for the buyers who don't care about whether it is genuine or not - I would wager this is most of the market for fake watches.
    In volume yes, but I think there's a very different margin on the sale between the two and very much more a victim situation in one than the other. If you create a fake that costs $50 but can convince a fool that it's real and worth $8000 that's $7950 profit - and the buyer got screwed. If on the other hand you sell it as a fake watch to someone who knows it's fake for $100, you net $50 profit - nobody suffers.

I'd say the former is the type of crime they should really fight.

Thread Information