Wooden watches: boring vs. what's possible
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Wooden watches: boring vs. what's possible

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wooden watches: boring vs. what's possible

Hi All,

a couple of months back I've had the chance to buy a wooden watch (as an experiment) for a really good price. A WeWood Alpha Chocolate for about 19 Euro (lucky shot on ebay).
    Now, the thing is I am not really in the highest appreciation of the watch without being able to put the finger on it.

The Size: works for me usually.
    The Colour: it's a very earthy brown... usually one of my favourite colours.
    The Weight: could be a bit heavier, but you still feel that you're wearing a watch. So it's fine too.
    The Details: Well it was planned as a "festive" watch, so not a disturbing dial. Fulfils it's purpose.

Now I am wondering, if that's just this one particular watch I don't really get warm with or if all wooden watches are that boring, due to material limitations?

I have done some research on the WorldWideWeb and came across some other companies / manufacturers (like i.e. Bosk: they seem to be ready to change the game)

Did anyone have the same experience, or is it just my personal taste? Also if anyone has a good suggestion for an interesting wooden watch please share, as I really want to give it a second try.
    Marko

Current Collection:

Micro:

Aevum*Ancon*Boston & Stewill*Chamber*Ferro*Gerlach*Magrette*Manchester Watch Works*Obris Morgan*Reverie*Straton*Stuckx*Tangramatic*Uhuru*Wa tson*

Macro:

Bulova*Casio*Citizen*Hamilton*Invicta*Junghans*Lon gines*Mido*Montblanc*Orient*Oris*Poljot*Seiko*Swat ch*Tag Heuer*Tissot-Zodiac*

"Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time"

John Lennon

Re: Wooden watches: boring vs. what's possible

Brior had some interesting looking watches.

Depends on your definition of wooden watches, ie. how much of the watch is made of wood. There is always the Ralph Lauren ones with wood dial or bezel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sea0bass View Post
    Depends on your definition of wooden watches, ie. how much of the watch is made of wood. There is always the Ralph Lauren ones with wood dial or bezel.
    Like this one being shown at SIHH right now: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f496/si...s-1464602.html

Name:  IMG_0754.jpeg
Views: 294
Size:  259.9 KB
    Allesaufgruen likes this.

Had a wooden diver...failed on first dive!
    BombFish likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

I do not want to wear anything that I have to remember to treat with water sealer every couple of months or risk rotting
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Vintage Accutron Woody

Regards,

Swell.
    Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    You should have twigged on earlier. That was the root cause - the failure stemmed from that.

Ok, I'll stop now.
    little big feather likes this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B, Oris 65/42 blue

While I would not wear a wood watch myself, I can see unlimited possibilities with the material. I think there are many things that could be done with wood watch including very elaborate carving and the incorporation of other organic materials that such as bone or ivory.

To a point, metal could could be considered plain and aesthetically boring. You pretty much have the colors silver, gold and combinations of the two in different finishes regardless of the material. Making a metal watch black is almost a big deal. Is it pvd black, dlc black, black ion, black cerecote or black anodized. Or you could have polished stainless, brushed stainless, bead blasted stainless and if you want to get really fancy, you could have a combination of polished and brushed stainless.

You have a zillion exotic hardwoods and no two are exactly alike.

This is what would be really cool. Hand carved wood bezel, engraved bronze case and a scrimshawed ivory caseback. Someone better get on that pronto before I make it myself.
    Allesaufgruen likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information