WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Work watch

1K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  MusicPDX 
#1 ·
Feeling like treating myself.

Currently, due to work, I wear a Casio Gshock for timekeeping as it takes bumps, scuffs, dirt and rain most days. It's doing the job fine however I fancy something a bit more special seeing as I wear it nearly every day.

I'm a huge fan of IWC watches ( to give an idea of my taste) and I prefer the simplistic look ( no chrono etc ) so I can see the time at a glance. I appreciate the things like Swiss movement and build quality. I don't want another plastic Gshock type. Must be leather or rubber strap. Not a bracelet fan.

My work covers various outdoor task, including dirt, rain, mud, shock, oil, scuffs and knocks.

Budget wise cos its for work I'd say up to £3k (GBP)

Any recommendations?

Also, Im considering the option of spending alot less on something like a Sinn or Damasko however Im not sure if I'll enjoy that as much.

#2 ·
The Sinn or Damasko are probably better suited for a work watch if they come with the tegimented cases and bands. Much more durable, IMHO.

I am sure others will add to this post as well, so hopefully you will get numerous suggestions.

Good luck.

#4 ·
A fan of IWC could mean anything, they make pilot, diver, dress, casual, all kinds of watches, which ones you like the most?
If you still intend to use the watch as you do your G-shock, then I also think Sinn U1,U2 would be a great choice, it's not Swiss, but Made in Germany is the same thing when it comes to quality and prestige.

#5 ·
If you like the clean simple look, if I had 3k pounds sterling, I would be looking at the Grand Seiko/Seiko Spring drive. Beautiful, clean, versatile watches with a high high level of finishing and tremendous movements.

#8 · (Edited)
I like all IWC from the Portofino's to the Aquatimers.

I'm actually tempted by one of these however I'm not sure how rugged they actually are despite the image they portray. Anyone?

http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/aquatimer/

Good point made by someone - leather would be daft for the damp weather here in Scotland.

#10 ·
If it's something that could get beaten up, why go for something expensive? I would look at a Marathon GSAR (automatic) or TSAR (quartz), and take the remainder to buy something nicer to wear when you're not at work.

#11 ·
What about Seiko? There are several from monster to 007 all the way to darth or even emperor tuna
Your budget can also get you pre-owned ETA based Panerai,maybe 104 or 24,but these may show scratches because the case is just plain SS
I think your best bet will be cheaper Seiko,Marathon,Damasko,Sinn U series

#13 ·
I kind of agree with Raza--I cringe when I see the kind of beating you will be dishing out. The G-shock is really spot on for the elements and rough duty. With that said, if you are set on going up range, then you can't do much better than Damasko out of Germany. Seriously tough in-house made cases, with lots of tech built in that you won't find in a lot of watches. Beautiful too. And well below budget. Check out the specs here: Damasko USA German Precision Watches - DA34 Automatic Watch

Borrowed pics:

#15 ·
Thanks lads.

I know it sounds daft to treat a watch such as this in the way I propose, however I'm justifying (man maths) it by the fact that I work a lot and therefore will achieve complete best value by wearing a premium watch at my work.

Is the aquatimer up to the task. I've tried searching for vickers rating but can't find anything.

Like that bremont too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.