WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is it worth it?

3K views 69 replies 40 participants last post by  GrussGott 
#1 ·
In my quest for a new watch, I created a post about looking for opinions on which one to get. They included three Tudors, a Rolex Explorer II and a Panerai. Man of you responded and while there were numerous answers, I truly appreciate all of them. I pretty much gave up on the Rolex because it seems to sit just a bit small on my wrist. I contemplated looking into the 42mm model but I know it's a couple of thousand more and I really don't have that extra to put down. I know it's a total work horse piece and will stand the test of time, so to speak, so here's a question. Do I stick with my original decision and go with the Tudor and be financially responsible or do I throw caution to the wind, rack up a credit card for the extra money and buy the 42mm?? I really don't think it's smart to do but hey....you only live once...right? I know what the RESPONSIBLE decision is but aren't we supposed to be irresponsible sometimes?? LOL!! Thoughts??

#12 ·
Well, I'll be honest. Rolex is my Grail. There's no way I could EVER afford anything above that so that's where I max out and i am fully aware of that. Having a Grail must be a great feeling. I just am trying to decide if I want to get it now or years down the road? Like I posted...there are a few other, cheaper, watches that I also want so that might work out better for me.

#8 ·
A lot depends on your financial health. Throwing caution into the wind is okay if your finances allow it. Have you been funding your retirement kitty, have saved for a rainy day, are not into debt except mortgage, etc.? If everything is good, then it is only money and go for it. If you are knee deep in debt, have a lot of loan payments, no retirement kitty fund, no rainy day savings, etc., then even a Tudor is a luxury you cannot afford. Even a $2.00 el cheapo quartz from AliEx with free shipping is too expensive. Only you know what your finances are. And do not look at a Rolex as an investment. Watches like cars are money pits, and even Rolex is not immune from being a money pit.

#16 ·
Very good point. Watches, like cars require upkeep. Why buy the watch if you know you can't even afford to have it serviced?! I just paid everything off credit card wise. Aside from the usual bills, things are getting better. That's why I am so hesitant....Start all over again with payments or catch my breath for a while. Most of the money I'm using is my rainy day money. I can either spend a few hundred extra for the Tudor or a couple of thousand for the Rolex. That's where I stand right now.

#15 ·
Imagine a high school gymnasium in the Midwest filled to the brim for a basketball game. Then imagine viewing each wristwatch on the adult males in attendance. A large percentage of them would have either nothing at all on their wrist, a few might have GShock, Timex, or FitBit. Some may have Seiko, Apple Watch,and even a rare Omega or Rolex. The greater majority wouldn't have given their choice a second thought, it's just their watch.... or not if bare wristed.

WIS are the only people who look at a $1000 wristwatch as entry level or "lower mid tier." Our irrational behavior of owning multiple wristwatches and considering them a "collection" would make the greater majority of those people in the gymnasium rolls their eyes and shake their heads. Ask the average man on the street what dollar amount constitutes a luxury watch and I would imagine $1000 would be a common response.

Personally I have spent countless thousands of dollars trying to find one really great watch and have failed fabulously.

#17 ·
I agree with you. The majority of people don't give a damn what they're wearing, if anything at all. We are a certain breed of people who appreciate the complexity of a well crafted mechanical watch. i don't think you failed at finding "your" watch. You've found multiple watches that have made you happy over time, however, your tastes keep evolving so you naturally fall out of love with what you have. But isn't that part of the fun....the thrill of the chase?? Perhaps it's just a sadness that the chase is over.....

#52 ·
I hate to be "that guy", but if you're this unsure and stressed about spending the money....it simply ain't the right time to spend the money. A "luxury" purchase shouldn't strain your finances. If it does, it's not a luxury....it's a burden.

Geez.....my brother is right. I really am turning into my dad. Wtf??
LOL!! That's hysterical!! I do agree with you. I'm having a hard time finding one within my "reach" anyway so maybe that's the sign. I'll more than likely just stick to the Tudor. Now....which one to get??

#25 ·
Do I stick with my original decision and go with the Tudor and be financially responsible or do I throw caution to the wind, rack up a credit card for the extra money and buy the 42mm?? I really don't think it's smart to do but hey....you only live once...right? I know what the RESPONSIBLE decision is but aren't we supposed to be irresponsible sometimes?? LOL!! Thoughts??
It's really hard to answer in a vacuum.

No watch is "worth" it, purely from a tangible/"rational" purchase POV.

The question is - which would give you the most pleasure. I belong to the school where I'd rather pay more to get what I *really* want, than try some weird blend of rationalizing an irrational purchase and ending up with something that is neither here nor there.

The second question is - what is a few extra thousand dollars for you, in terms of current debt levels, current income and projected income? If its just a temporarily cash flow thing, go nuts and charge it. Even if you pay interest for a few months, it's not the end of the world. If it is something that will stretch you, dont.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

#53 ·
Good thinking. I agree...it's better to pay a little extra and get exactly what you want rather than piece-meal it together. As for money, it's not that I can't afford it. It's more that I just paid everything off and to add another few thousand back onto the cards just seems irresponsible. I never have alot of "expendible" cash but Im not struggling.

#26 ·
Also - steel Rolex is one of the few watches that I dont consider worth buying used because the discount is si low compared to buying new.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: trident1970
#31 ·
Also - steel Rolex is one of the few watches that I dont consider worth buying used because the discount is si low compared to buying new.
That's only if sitting around on the waiting list so you can pay MSRP means nothing to you. Once you factor in the premium that the "Buy It Today!" gray market charges for a steel Rolex, then the secondary market is the only SANE way to buy a steel Rolex.

#29 ·
Nobody knows where they'll be (or if they'll even be here) years down the road. If you're like me you work hard, provide for your family, do good things, help other people, and don't do a lot for yourself... except when it comes to watches and maybe a few other things you're interested in.

Tudor makes a phenominal watch. I love my Pelagos. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever Tudor you were looking at. But in the back of your mind you will always be thinking about the Explorer II - did I make the right decision. And for me that takes away from being able to fully appreciate the piece that's on my wrist. If it won't be a big financial burden, you gotta go for it. Life is too short.

#54 ·
Nobody knows where they'll be (or if they'll even be here) years down the road. If you're like me you work hard, provide for your family, do good things, help other people, and don't do a lot for yourself... except when it comes to watches and maybe a few other things you're interested in.

Tudor makes a phenominal watch. I love my Pelagos. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever Tudor you were looking at. But in the back of your mind you will always be thinking about the Explorer II - did I make the right decision. And for me that takes away from being able to fully appreciate the piece that's on my wrist. If it won't be a big financial burden, you gotta go for it. Life is too short.
That's exactly what I do....work hard, provide for my family and try to have a little fun so as to not go insane. It's hard sometimes....actually most of the time! LOL! I've loved Tudor even before I loved Rolex. I think their watches are just exquisite. I'm not that gung ho about getting a Rolex now. I just saw a few that might have worked and was trying to work it out. If I don't get one now, I'll be ok with that. As I said, I love Tudor and the hardest part will be which one to pick! LOL! Thanks for your response!

#32 ·
Whichever watch, why does it need to be right now? Why is it settle for the Tudor or get into debt for the Rolex? Why not save a few more months, maybe put in some overtime at work, or wait until your birthday comes up, and when people ask what you’d like, say money towards the Rolex. No reason you couldn’t still have the Rolex, it just might not be today. If it were me, and I bought the Tudor when I wanted the Rolex, after the honeymoon period faded I’d just be wishing I’d gotten the Rolex, and would undoubtably end up selling it at a loss when I’d saved the difference for the Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
I don't recall and reread your op. I still vote for the Panerai!

This thread is lacking pix... I purchased this one 2 decades ago and the same would apply to you. It was probably not the most financially responsible thing to do, but it didn't prevent me from paying the mortgage or placing food on the table so, 20 years later..., I haven't regretted a single day and to tell you the truth... I can't even remember what I paid for it! That may be because we were on vacation and it was foreign currency, etc. 20 years of pleasure and no recollection of the cost/year. Yeah, go for it! I don't care if it's a Pammy, Rolex, VC, AP Patek, etc, the rule still applies!

Another thought... is a year of interest free available on a card?

#36 ·
Simple really: if you want to be financially responsible, buy a $10 quartz. Anything else is a waste of money, even a $1.1m Richard Mille won't be as accurate as your quartz and will probably have less functions....if on the other hand (or should I say "other wrist") you want to enjoy a watch and not be a boring git, buy the Rolex (or whatever)

#37 ·
OP,
Good luck with your decision. Here are my principles when considering splurging:

1) If I can't buy it outright, I can't afford it. For me, having that monthly payment (+interest) takes away from my ability to enjoy.

2) Don't compromise. The substitute may scratch the purchasing itch, but inevitably the thought of not having that ONE I wanted creeps back into my brain and haunts me.

If I were in your shoes, I would set aside the funds in cash (or even safer Venmo) and contribute $XXX dollars per month until I had the full amount. The idea is to keep it as seperate from the other finances and watching that money "grow."

In my opinion, the ability to spend $5,000 and keep my major accounts intact is a rewarding feeling in itself. On paper, it appears I didn't spend any money.

Just my $0.02, but that's how I compartmentalized my jet ski purchase.

*Homes, cars, boats and the like are excluded from this philosophy.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

#57 ·
OP,
Good luck with your decision. Here are my principles when considering splurging:

1) If I can't buy it outright, I can't afford it. For me, having that monthly payment (+interest) takes away from my ability to enjoy.

2) Don't compromise. The substitute may scratch the purchasing itch, but inevitably the thought of not having that ONE I wanted creeps back into my brain and haunts me.

If I were in your shoes, I would set aside the funds in cash (or even safer Venmo) and contribute $XXX dollars per month until I had the full amount. The idea is to keep it as seperate from the other finances and watching that money "grow."

In my opinion, the ability to spend $5,000 and keep my major accounts intact is a rewarding feeling in itself. On paper, it appears I didn't spend any money.

Just my $0.02, but that's how I compartmentalized my jet ski purchase.

*Homes, cars, boats and the like are excluded from this philosophy.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
We definitely have the same thought process. I have my money socked away in a PayPal account so that it's out of the way and out of regular circulation. I had to dip into it once before for a house emergency and it was painful. I agree with you 100%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.