Would a domed crystal improve the visibility of highly reflective numerals?

Thread: Would a domed crystal improve the visibility of highly reflective numerals?

Sofia, Bulgaria (current) | Toronto, Canada

Would a domed crystal improve the visibility of highly reflective numerals?

I've been wearing a Seiko SARB017 Alpinist for a few years, and one thing that bothers me about it, is that in the sun, you can't see the numerals (and hands too, somewhat). They are very shiny / reflective gold. I would not want to risk have someone painstakingly apply a matte finish to them... it would be risky, and potentially ruin the look of them.

So I was wondering... would installing a domed crystal disperse the light away from the numerals, or lessen the impact of the sun on them?

Re: Would a domed crystal improve the visibility of highly reflective numerals?

Perhaps having a coat or two of AR put on the underside of the crystal would take away some glare?

heb

Hello,
    A domed crystal without AR coating (like hans said) would make the reflections worse.

heb

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I will back them up on that. I have a domed crystal with no AR coating and it's horrible
    Stratocasters Rock!

Sofia, Bulgaria (current) | Toronto, Canada

Thanks everyone. I should be more clear though... I'm having trouble not so much with the reflective crystal, but with the reflective applied numerals. When the dial gets direct light, the numbers just disappear since they're so shiny!

So I was thinking maybe a domed crystal would direct some of the light away from the numerals (??)

I think the AR-coating might help with that as well.

Ball Engineer II Ohio (NM1026C-SJ-WH) | Hamilton Khaki Aviation (H76565125) | Omega Dynamic III (5250.50.00) | Omega De Ville (BA 161.024) | Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer (WL5112) | Victorinox Cavalry (Marlboro Edition)

Thread Information