Would you buy using bank transfer
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Would you buy using bank transfer

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Would you buy using bank transfer

Hey guys, I have been eying a piece for a while on chrono 24 and the seller and I have come into agreement with a price. He only problem is he will only accept a bank transfer. He's in Germany and I am in LA, also he isn't "trusted since..." Or anything. What do you guys think? Will he scam me?Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427986051.477963.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  243.3 KB

Re: Would you buy using bank transfer

That's a tricky slope! Seems rule of thumb around here is buy the seller. Is there any feedback from this person on WUS you can find? He isn't open to using PayPal?

No. I purchase via methods that have a tad more buyer protection available
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hell to the no.
    teatimecrumpet likes this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Not from an individual seller. Bank transfer is like sending cash in an envelope. Once he has it, you have no recourse - just have to hope that the seller is honest and hope is not a strategy. This leaves you 0 protection.
    Sellers often don't like paypal as it creates risk for them , but not the same level of risk as wire transfer by buyer

I've done it, but it carries risk. My bank cautions that once the wire is sent, they have absolutely no recourse should things go south. At that point, you're on your own. I took a chance because I trusted the sellers (Jomashop and Topper), but they're domestic, easy to reach out to and well-known. Of course, they also offer other payment options...not sure I'd risk it if I was "forced" to.

Tough call. Good luck.

Edit: having given it some thought, I'd have to say "absolutely not". I'd offer to pay a bit more for the peace of mind that comes with any of the other payment methods available.
    Last edited by Zeroedout; April 2nd, 2015 at 17:18.

I've purchased using this method before, and successfully so. Having said that, it was with a reputable firm with both a brick and mortar location as well as an established online retail website (German). I don't think I'd have been as comfortable or willing to do so with an individual. Maybe I was just lucky! Just my two cents worth. At the end of the day though, it's your money, and you have to feel comfortable, with a high trust factor in the satisfactory outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonutity View Post
    Hey guys, I have been eying a piece for a while on chrono 24 and the seller and I have come into agreement with a price. He only problem is he will only accept a bank transfer. He's in Germany and I am in LA, also he isn't "trusted since..." Or anything. What do you guys think? Will he scam me?Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427986051.477963.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  243.3 KB

Need to repeat: paying by bank transfer is quite common in Germany and Austria. It's the way how they are doing business.

However, I wouldn't pay for a watch by bank transfer. You know nothing about the guy and he could go bust tomorrow or a natural disaster (e.g. flooding) results in losing him his stock. Or the guy ends up in hospital seriously injured. In that case the bank will do absolutely nothing for you. If you had paid by PayPal or credit card there would have been the option to request your money back and PayPal or the credit card issuer will rule in your favor.

Offer him to cover the 4% PayPal fees. If not just move on and tell him so.

PS: There was a discussion about an Italian grey dealer recently on WUS (buyer from the Netherlands had some problems); also in that case the chrono24 seller was a trusted seller. I am not saying trusted seller status signifies nothing but it is not the ultimate certification.
    Last edited by Uhrentraeger; April 2nd, 2015 at 17:21.
    drhr likes this.

I would as long as there was some independent accountability -- a large store with a reputation to protect, a smaller store with an accessible brick-and-mortar, an individual seller with a long and well-established history of good transactions. Otherwise I'd either pay for PayPal's buyer protections (which would also let me pay with a credit card for additional protections and 1.5% cash back), or I'd walk away.

I did once on a very well known GM dealer with a store ,all in the U.S....I'd have to do allot of research on
    this guy in Germany. As others have said, tricky. Think this, would you get on a plane if he failed to deliver?
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information