Would you consider modding watches you love to make them better?

Thread: Would you consider modding watches you love to make them better?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would you consider modding watches you love to make them better?

I'm wondering if you love your watch so much, would you go out of your way to mod the movement (e.g. replacing standard/elaboree grade movements for top/chronometer). Or, do you love your watch so much so as to not mod it at all? Certainly, for me, prestige/high-end watches I won't consider doing this, as they tend to be excellent as they are. But, what about low/mid-end watches? In particular, I'm not really talking about PVD coating, brush finish, or mods of this nature. But, consider this, changing out the Elaboree base 2824-2 (L633 movement) of the Longines Legend Diver to a higher grade ETA 2824-2, while keeping the Longines stamped rotor. Or, if they (whomever it may be) make a silicon balance spring readily available, I'd really want to outfit my watch with it. Sure there'd be a marginal performance difference, but the thought of a better movement for a watch I love seems to be worthwhile for me.

Here's some context. I've come under the spell of Limited Editions and other more unique watches for some odd reason, and I'd like to make them better to suit my personal taste. I also don't care much about resale value, cost of the mod, or warranty, as they are keepers and I'd just take it to the modder and local watchmaker for the mod and repair. The low/mid-end watches I am looking at are outfitted with ETA movements. Are there any other negative consequences to this?

MODERATORS, PLEASE DO NOT MOVE THIS TO WATCHMAKING, AS IT IS A QUESTION TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC ABOUT THEIR FEELINGS ABOUT WATCH MODIFICATIONS, AND NOT A QUESTION ON HOW/WHERE TO MODIFY.
    Best,

Tempvs

Re: Would you consider modding watches you love to make them better?

I can't think of any downsides to putting a "nicer" movement in a watch other than voiding a warranty.
    Obviously assuming a competent watchmaker is doing it.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

I would also like to add that I'd also be willing to edit the dial of limited edition watches (e.g. in particular, removing the GMT times on one LE watch of the smaller font #'s 13-24, especially since #'s 13, 15, 23, & 24 are excluded altogether on the dial). I'm sure this is frowned upon by many collectors, but I can't help but to think it'll look better to me. I'm guessing the major question would be how it would removed - if it is printed, perhaps it is buffed out without damaging the dial.
    Best,

Tempvs

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TempusExMachina View Post
    I'm wondering if you love your watch so much, would you go out of your way to mod the movement (e.g. replacing standard/elaboree grade movements for top/chronometer). Or, do you love your watch so much so as to not mod it at all? Certainly, for me, prestige/high-end watches I won't consider doing this, as they tend to be excellent as they are. But, what about low/mid-end watches? In particular, I'm not really talking about PVD coating, brush finish, or mods of this nature. But, consider this, changing out the Elaboree base 2824-2 (L633 movement) of the Longines Legend Diver to a higher grade ETA 2824-2, while keeping the Longines stamped rotor. Or, if they (whomever it may be) make a silicon balance spring readily available, I'd really want to outfit my watch with it. Sure there'd be a marginal performance difference, but the thought of a better movement for a watch I love seems to be worthwhile for me.

Here's some context. I've come under the spell of Limited Editions and other more unique watches for some odd reason, and I'd like to make them better to suit my personal taste. I also don't care much about resale value, cost of the mod, or warranty, as they are keepers and I'd just take it to the modder and local watchmaker for the mod and repair. The low/mid-end watches I am looking at are outfitted with ETA movements. Are there any other negative consequences to this?

MODERATORS, PLEASE DO NOT MOVE THIS TO WATCHMAKING, AS IT IS A QUESTION TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC ABOUT THEIR FEELINGS ABOUT WATCH MODIFICATIONS, AND NOT A QUESTION ON HOW/WHERE TO MODIFY.

Would I consider modding a watch I love? Probably not because if I'm that fond of it then it's darned near perfect!
    But if swapping out to a higher grade movement would improve the watch for you then go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Would I consider modding a watch I love? Probably not because if I'm that fond of it then it's darned near perfect!
    But if swapping out to a higher grade movement would improve the watch for you then go for it!
    There doesn't seem to be any problems other than the ones I'm already prepared for/don't mind. I'm all set to go. I just need to find one of these rare LE beauties...
    Best,

Tempvs

Well, I think it's reasonable to swap out a lower grade movement for a higher grade one if there is a sapphire case back. However, for watches with solid case backs, I think that only COSC movements are worthwhile to swap in. Other than that, you'd be swapping in a nicer movement that you can't see, that may not even provide better accuracy. Just my opinion.

I would consider modding watches to make them better but probably not a watch that cost more than $500. Probably more of a cheapy but that's it.

I am not capable of doing it myself but can only say this:

1) Bamford
    2) Project X

Serious drool material and if I could afford any of it, wouldn't think twice...

The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

Banned

I would LOVE to have a 6R15 inside my 007 mod. The 6R15 is a great movement, and the swap is possible, but it's very excensive. And I've already spent WAY to much on that 007 as it is!!!

I think the same as a lot of the previous posters I would consider doing this for some of my cheaper watches.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information