Would you desire this? Anti-smudge anti-fingerprint coating on your watch crystal?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Would you desire this? Anti-smudge anti-fingerprint coating on your watch crystal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would you desire this? Anti-smudge anti-fingerprint coating on your watch crystal?

Or does any watch company use such a feature already on their crystals? I googled and can't seem to find any.

I know atleast Samsung uses this on some of their smartphones, and some aftermarket companies offer screen protectors that have such a coating that is anti-smudge.

I had a Samsung Galaxy that had this feature and it was EXTREMELY effective in repelling smudges. I let my nephew use that phone often and the back would be completely sticky and filthy but the screen was spotless and smooth.

I know countless WIS that have a compulsive habit of constantly rubbing their thumbs over crystals to remove smudges, even phantom smudges ( I do).

I have found that Dow Corning offers such a coating that is also used together with anti-reflective surfaces.

I figure the biggest question would be how durable are these coatings for watch crystal use.

Would you like this as a feature on your sapphire watch crystal if the coating would not be prone to visible scratches?

Re: Would you desire this? Anti-smudge anti-fingerprint coating on your watch crystal?

Quote Originally Posted by bigvatch View Post
    ...I know countless WIS that have a compulsive habit of constantly rubbing their thumbs over crystals to remove smudges, even phantom smudges ( I do). ...
    Hmmm...rub your thumb on the crystal, the crystal gets thumb prints, so rub your thumb on the crystal...and repeat if necessary.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Re: Would you desire this? Anti-smudge anti-fingerprint coating on your watch crystal?

I suspect that an anti-smudge coating would ultimately be another surface to show wear just as anti-reflection coatings do. And we would begin to see threads on how to remove partly worn smudge coatings as we see for AR coatings. For those of us who find sticky stuff on their watches and phones a simple handwashing would probably do wonders. Concerns like this seem most prevalent with sapphire crystals. Maybe acryllic and glass crystals have some benefits after all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It would cause unnecessary hassle for the watch company to buy the liquid (or whatever form it comes in), and then have to get the extra machinery to apply it (assuming it is a different process to AR), and that would drive up the price of the watch and people would moan.

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

EHV

I would tent to agree with John. I have yet to experience anything like Samsung's coating but I sure wish watch companies would STOP using outer AR coatings. I like the look when clean and new but I'm more than happy to live without it because of the scratches and smudges and ultimately, the need to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I suspect that an anti-smudge coating would ultimately be another surface to show wear just as anti-reflection coatings do. And we would begin to see threads on how to remove partly worn smudge coatings as we see for AR coatings. For those of us who find sticky stuff on their watches and phones a simple handwashing would probably do wonders. Concerns like this seem most prevalent with sapphire crystals. Maybe acryllic and glass crystals have some benefits after all.

I see no reason for it. Anti smudge coatings are dandy for touch screen devices. For watches they'd be overkill. Extra expense for no real benefit.

UJU

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hughes View Post
    Extra expense for no real benefit.
    Well...the same goes for helium valves, >100m wr, or any complication beyond a date window.
    Chris Hughes and pcmxa like this.
    The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon. -Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by UJU View Post
    Well...the same goes for helium valves, >100m wr, or any complication beyond a date window.
    I'd disagree.
    HEV are useful if you are going to be using the watch in the commercial deep diving requirement.
    Again, above 100M WR is useful for this environment.

Any complication beyond a date window? So you don't want a chronograph, sub seconds, alarm, anything like that? Interesting.

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Quote Originally Posted by Spit161 View Post
    I'd disagree.
    HEV are useful if you are going to be using the watch in the commercial deep diving requirement.
    Again, above 100M WR is useful for this environment.

Any complication beyond a date window? So you don't want a chronograph, sub seconds, alarm, anything like that? Interesting.

cheers,
    Jake.
    I think it's fair to say the 95% of watches' features aren't used to anywhere near their full potential and as such are massively overspecced.

I for one would absolutely love an anti-fingerprint coating, though I can't imagine it would actually be that effective.

It depends how durable it is. AR coating can get scratched and then you're stuck trying to remove it. I think my bigger problem is my six month old son who seems love grabbing my watches with his grubby hands. I pretend it's because like his dad he's into watches but he'll grab just about anything in front of him!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information