WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Would You Find & Buy All of Your Old or Lost Watches if You Could?

• Yes

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 92.3%

Would You Find & Buy All of Your Old or Lost Watches if You Could?

794 views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  Cybotron 
#1 ·
I think I know my answer to this question but I'm still interested in the opinions here. This is a bit of a follow up to one of my previous topics here:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/how-m...mber-every-watch-they-have-owned-4131874.html

I've seen a lot of watch and other collections online. I think it might be kind of cool to have the evolution of a watch collection display. Even if the low end watches are separate from the higher end ones. But what if you would buy them again just for that evolution display and never wear them? What if you no longer like the design of some of them? Would there be a reason to actually own them? Or just keep them noted in a file.

I've given up finding the Mickey Mouse watch I used to own. There are just too many and I can't remember when I purchased it. I just have a vague memory of it and maybe getting it at Sears. However, I've located an old Seiko that I'll repair and get the metal replated. I've identified the other watches as well and actually ended up getting a modern Timex and G-Shock. I don't think I need to own the vintage G-Shock as the modern one might be the same design. And I prefer the modern Timex to the old one which I actually sold considerably recently. The others, I don't think I would wear again if I purchased them.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Re: Would You Find & Buy All of Your Old or Lost Watches if You Could?

Yes.

I'm a bit sentimental so I keep most of my watches (even the broken ones or ones I don't wear any more) if there is any sort of previous connection.

Even the ones I got rid of early, though most of them were junk, and they simply died, or I destroyed them through my I'll treatment of them, they remind me of my long lost youth so if I see one, I will probably buy it and if it runs, wear it occasionally when nostalgia bites.

I'm also looking out for watches I lusted after when I was a kid and couldn't afford at the time.

Sent from my SM-N960F DeX

#6 ·
While I might be interested in getting back three or four of the more than 200 watches that have passed through my hands in the last decade or two, the last thing I would want is to get ALL of them back. The ones that did get away were all one of a kind, or so rare that I have never seen another, so they're definitely not on the shopping list.

#10 ·
I'm with "some" as well.

I'd like a watch back that was stolen.

I have most of my watches from childhood through young adulthood. Most of those are best left in the past but I remember 1-2 that might be interesting to look at if not wear.

Stuff I've sold, I've generally sold for a reason. There's one I wouldn't mind back, but I'm not seeking it out, either. There's really not much else tugging me back into the past and I've made peace even with the one that was stolen.

#11 · (Edited)
I have fond memories of my very first watch with a cowboy character on the dial. It was first worn by me then then my brother and our mom held on to it after we moved out. When closing up her estate the watch was found again and my brother expressed an interest in and got it. For me the memories are more important than the watch itself.

I've moved several watches on from the collection for a good reasons. I'm content to remember the enjoyment those watches brought while also recalling the reasons they were moved on. I have no desire to reacquire or retain things that are no longer if any interest or enjoyment. No need to accumulate clutter.

#18 ·
Nope. The watches I let go, I let go for a reason. I'm glad they're out there being worn by people who will appreciate them while I focus on a smaller collection of watches I will be able to wear more often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.