WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Would you guys rather buy New via gray market or LNIB with AD papers for the same price?

650 views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  harshad4005 
#1 ·
Going through watchrecon for like-new-in-box but used watches and comparing them to new watches from gray market dealers, I find the prices to be very similar.

For instance, would you rather buy a gray market rolex or would you buy a one month (mint condition) old rolex with AD papers for the same price?

#6 ·
If you can find an AD in your area then go for it.

Most of watches I've bought were discontinued models so online sellers are the only option.

#7 ·
Would you guys rather buy New via gray market or LNIB with AD papers for the ...

AD. Went into mine to look at a blnr. They are offering the 5 yr Rolex warranty, plus an additional 5 yr for a total of 10 yrs.

Plus I need the immediate tangible experience.

Plus I need new.... Unless vintage.

But this is just my watch ocd.

#13 ·
LNIB from AD, but the qualifier is if and only if the seller has a rock solid reputation. By buying prowned you take on certain risks as well. These risks could easily outstrip grey market warranty concerns if the seller isn't well known...

#14 ·
As said - LNIB. But unless a really new piece, LNIB rarely is. And I usually would expect to pay less than grey-market-new prices for a used one, even if it is from an AD.

Most AD prices I get are within sniffing distance of grey market prices, and often even better.

#15 ·
In general, LNIB but in reality it depends on the brand, model, and seller.

Also you have to do your due diligence and check with your local AD. As I said earlier, depending on the brand and model, my local AD can offer comparable prices to new gray market prices.

However, as I've gotten more experience in this hobby, I prefer lightly worn (95% condition) with a 25% (+/- 5%) over gray market pricing (again depending on brand and model) over LNIB or new gray any day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.