Would you have the balls........

Thread: Would you have the balls........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would you have the balls........

to admit when you are wrong?

Given the sometimes fervent defence of some brands (not meaning any one in specifics) would you have the guts to admit sometimes you get it wrong.

For example, having felt the wrath of Mrs WIS, waiting months for delivery, spending this years college allowance for the kids etc etc, have you ever received a watch and said to yourself (And others) "Oh My God, what have I done. How could I be so stupid. Dammit I should have bought that ***** when I had the chance instead!"

Or have you held on to it for a couple of months, extolling the virtue of this timepiece and then flipping it later because it 'never gets the wrist time it deserves' or 'I've bought a new watch and its getting all my wrist time'.

Come on now, its time to confess and lay your WIS souls bare. Just for the amusement of us, or maybe to make us all realise we are as bad as each other!
    Regards

Colin

Omega Seamaster Pro COSC (Bond)
    Seiko 007 on various natos
    UK Military Divers 200M Quartz
    Seiko Kinetic Diver (Boss)

Re: Would you have the balls........

Yep, should have gone for the Temption instead of the Rainer
    Nienaber.

Everytime I purchase a watch, I experience all sorts of emotions, excitement, guilt, anxiety. I think about the house renovations I could be doing instead, I worry about the seller screwing me or did I really need another crono!

I hate watches!
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have purchased many I regret. Basically every one (about a dozen) I bought from ShopNBC except for my Seiko Orange Monster. I wish I would of found these forums earlier. My watch experience in the past was from AD's, the local newspaper, local word of mouth and ShopNBC. I bought one from eBay a few years ago that turned out counterfeit so that made me gun shy from there. So yeah, I have over a dozen watches I regret buying. They are decent watches but I could of done much better with my money.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfe View Post
    I have purchased many I regret. Basically every one (about a dozen) I bought from ShopNBC except for my Seiko Orange Monster. I wish I would of found these forums earlier. My watch experience in the past was from AD's, the local newspaper, local word of mouth and ShopNBC. I bought one from eBay a few years ago that turned out counterfeit so that made me gun shy from there. So yeah, I have over a dozen watches I regret buying. They are decent watches but I could of done much better with my money.
    Buyers' remorse!

I think the reality of the new arrival is often, in reality, a bit of a disappointment, a bit of a disillusionment. All the anticipation, all the licking of chops and then, it arrives...... and immediately, one is thinking about the next one.

Maybe the pleasure IS the anticipation, rather than the actual arrival.

Yes . . . and I have the Balls to prove it

. . . but that's not what you meant.

I admit that I've made some ill-advised (at best) watch purchases, at the expense of objectively higher-priority needs.

My name is Rob, and I'm a WIS. . . .

Buying a watch is like buying a car, you should be 100% committed when you buy it. There should be absolutely no doubt about the purchase.

This usually means doing a lot of research. Most certainly you'll make many trips to the dealer to test drive the car, look at it, feel it out, etc.

You should be going through this exact same process when contemplating a watch buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert_Murdoch View Post
    Buying a watch is like buying a car, you should be 100% committed when you buy it. There should be absolutely no doubt about the purchase.
    I think that's impossible. The existence of choice means that there will always be a doubt, however small. For example, should I have ordered the tow package or the sport package? Should I have got the V8 upgrade? Should I have ordered the blue dial instead of the black dial?

The removal of the meaning from the word "grail", which now means in this context "a watch I fancy this week, today, now" is proof of this. Even watch coveted for years from from day one can easily get flipped once it has been bought and owned for a while. Look at all the posts entitled "I found a new grail", "I flipped my grail", "can't decide between these two grails", "should I sell this grail and buy another grail?".

Buying and owning are not actions you can carry out when researching, and cannot be measured. So there will always be some other factor that could contribute to disappointment or a feeling of being underwhelmed. And unfortunately, humans being generally irrational, a watch which doesn't have much "wrist appeal" but which could be a superior ownership proposition hardly ever makes it past first base.

Quote Originally Posted by colinmet View Post
    to admit when you are wrong?
    Yup. I have a Colt GMT whose 24-hour hand has been very useful for tracking other timezones. But since I started travelling a lot, I find having to hack the watch to set the 12-hour hand and then reset the 24-hour hand a pain. Then, when I am back home, I can go back to using the quickset 24-hour hand to track other zones, and that's handy - but I do more travelling than tracking now, so the watch is not the best choice I thought it was.

Unfortunately, this is how it is. To me, the obvious alternative - Omega Seamaster GMT - looks odd. I just don't much like the look of it, even if it's a terrific watch with loads of fans and good press and a great movement and operates the right way and etc. If I had my choice again, I probably would have saved up a bit more for an Explorer II.

Sure! I bought an interesting Longines Presence, since the price wasn't bad, it's interesting because it's thin, I need a dress watch... blah blah blah. It's the one in my sig.

And then 30 minutes later I discovered Stowa, which is much more my style. Now the Longines suites me great, nothing personal against it, but I know it's going to be the first watch I sell.

But what got me into watches automatic watches, the Invicta 8926 and and lady version of that. Someone at an audio forum called it the Grado sr60 of the watch world. Yeah, I shoulda known, I hate the sr60. The lady version came DOA, and 8926... well, you've all heard the stories.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information