Which would you keep iwc or Breitling? - Page 4
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Which would you keep iwc or Breitling?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Which would you keep iwc or Breitling?

I agree with everyone else regarding Breitling in general vs. this model. I like this one too, but--c'mon, Breitling!--how about putting some lume and a lume pip on the bezel?! That is a big fail in my book, particularly in a watch at this price point. That sapphire bezel on the IWC, however, is nice in the sun and stunning in the dark. I also prefer the IWC crown and yellow-tipped second hand. It is chunkier looking and more toolish than the Breitling, and perhaps more limiting because of that, but overall I'd keep the IWC.

I figured the B would win purely on aesthetics but not by such a wide margin. It's also my fav of the two from a looks standpoint. Although it's bigger than the IWC, its a bit more of a dressier "desk diver" as someone put it. The IWC is definitely more "toolish" The brushed case looks solid enough to drive a nail with, very beefy! Alas, I'll have to side with the masses on this one. There's more to like with SOH. Thx for the comments...

persco likes this.

The Breitling will stay with its classic bezel design and lovely mesh bracelet, and the IWC will get kicked to the curb on its rubber strap (:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not a big fan of Breitling, but when I saw that watch, I said "Wow".

IWC is a great brand but that particular model just doesn't speak to me.

Bob
    JWM69 likes this.
    Current Collection
    Omega Seamaster 2542.20 "Bond" - white dial, Breitling Colt GMT - silver, UTS 500M Bauhaus black, Sinn U1 - black, Sinn U1 -
    Orange​, Sinn U1 - Yellow, Doxa 1200T - Orange, Doxa Divingstar 300 - Yellow, Alpina Extreme 40 Sailing Chronograph - black, Tag Heuer SEL Link - Grey, Tag Heuer 1000 - Black Coral, AEgir CD-2 - grey, Benarus Moray - Green, Nauticfish 1000M - Blue, Boschett Cave Dweller - Yellow​, Boschett Cave Dweller - Grey, Boschett Legacy - Black/Gold, Bernhardt Sea Shark - red, Irreantum Magellan - blue, Irreantum Magellan - Orange, Ocean7 LM1 - Lume dial , Artego 500M - blue, Helson Shark Diver(45mm) - white/blue, Oliver Bronze - ​Brown, Hailos Holotype- yellow

Add one more for the Brietling.

I'm gonna get one of these next year. My future mother-in-law is giving me some money to buy a watch as a wedding present. I'm gonna top up the difference and get one of these bad boys.....
    Anonimo D-Date, Seiko SNKM97, Omega AT8500, Linde Werdelin 3 Timer, Sinn 104, Tudor Black Bay Midnight Blue, G-Shock X Undefeated, G-Shock X Maharishi

^ Right, the Rolex Sub/SD is only the most definitive dive watch there is, classic and iconic, and the start of the breed, not to mention gorgeous and why it's the most copied watch on the planet, but never will a copy be the original. (If it doesn't say Rolex on the dial/movement, then it's quite simply not a Rolex: handsomely rugged and tough, just the way HRM's British Navy, the legendary COMEX French commercial divers along with Jacques Cousteau and Ian Fleming/James Bond like it, too). Then, when it comes to my art, I like originals, which not only hold their value (investment-wise, an excellent purchase as they go up; take for e.g. the Rolex Mil Sub, which can't be had for anything less than $50,000 these days, depending on condition, with values' climbing). I will gladly stand in line any day to see the real Da Vinci Mona Lisa at the gallery, as opposed to wasting my money on some silly poser oops I mean poster, being someone else's "interpretation" of an iconic legend (and adding a mustache, etc. to the Mona Lisa doesn't make it an original either, but rather makes it an insult to the creator of the original; then, there's no accounting for taste these days, ...

That said, that particular Breitling tries at least to be a little different, unlike some watchmakers out there, though the similarities are there, I agree.
    Name:  Sub (no date).jpg
Views: 167
Size:  40.7 KBName:  Sub (date).jpg
Views: 197
Size:  113.0 KB

Notwithstanding, Breitling makes some of the most wonderful bracelets out there, I also agree (the Rolex bracelet and clasp being functional and always was then, of course it is, the Sub/SD are for diving and sports; dive watches aren't proper attire for the office, unless your job is one requiring the use of air tanks and flippers, etc.). Personally, I am a fan of Breitling: the Navi and Cosmo are legendary, being the official supplier to the RAF/RCAF among other things, patenting the first chronograph (single-pusher flyback and also, along with Heuer and Hamilton, the first automatic chronograph) such that Breitling is in many ways to pilot watches what Rolex is to dive watches, with IWC's history likewise being a fantastic one, as one of only 5 suppliers to the German air force of B-uhrs, with its dress watches among some of the very best there are, too (its vintage dress watches are considered to be among the most classic by many collectors). So, as you can see, I really like IWC, too.

Having set that out--i.e., being a fan of them both among so many other brands, so as to have zero bias either way--in this case, whilst the Brietling SOH is somewhat different from the Sub/SD (which is the classic look for a reason--it being Rolex' look as others have said), the IWC is a design of its own, thus more unique than is the SOH (which SOH once again is a bit different, so as to not in my opinion be a Rolex clone, albeit not terribly unique as is the IWC either). Accordingly, my advice: which one sings more to you as in, which one do YOU like better? THAT is the one you keep. (Really, in the final analysis, only thing that matters is which one you like better, as only your wrist and your wrist alone knows you best).

On the other hand, I might gather from your question that perhaps you're not really loving either, so far as you're wanting to let one of them go but not necessarily caring which one it is, which is perfectly fine if this is so. We all reach a certain point in terms of our collection and admiration of watches where we start thinning our collection, letting stuff we used to really like but which is maybe just OK now go, it being better to have a few watches we really, really love (whatever that number is being a choice that is uniquely personal to each of us) as opposed to the many which are just OK, and why I mention it (based on the fact once again you're looking to let one go, but don't necessarily care which one, thus suggesting to me though I might very well be wrong that you're not necessarily in love with either). If this is the case, just some thoughts: You could perhaps sell both, and put the money towards something else like, maybe a pre-loved Rolex Sub (to have the original, should you want one and only one dive watch in your collection, a smart buy investment-wise in terms of resale value); or, if dive watches are not your cup of tea (and they may not be), then you could instead perhaps buy something else entirely.

That said, it's always good to have a nice dive watch on hand just in case, and if you just want something as such, then could pick up a Seiko dive--good value--to have one should you ever need it (vacations, around the pool, etc.) and spend the money on something else. Otherwise, and between the two, while it's very hard to say in terms of where the market is going etc. as such, whereas the IWC might right now be a bit easier to unload, many believe heritage pieces (such as the Breitling SOH) seem to be a good bet (but no guarantees as no one has a Chrystal ball of course); plus, I kinda like it myself as said (whilst it does kinda remind me of something else as said, at the same time, it's trying to be a little different as also said, though on that I may be a bit biased, as also said for I personally love the original myself). Cheers, and hope this helps.
    Last edited by Sea-Wolf; December 15th, 2011 at 14:46. Reason: edit: to remove typos
    Breguet Rolex Tudor Breitling Longines IWC Mühle-Glashütte Tutima Hamilton TAG Heuer Cartier

OTHER: Vintage (Manual and Automatic), Modern (Automatic and Quartz).

the iwc is not the best... breitling much better in appearance

Quote Originally Posted by progdoom View Post
    As a brand I prefer IWC, but the Super Ocean is much better looking than the Aquatimer, so I guess it's the Breitling!
    Yep - same here

Agreed re: the Sub. Although there are better looking divers, I Already have one that I likely won't sell. The Superocean imo looks quite different as others have pointed out and is a homage to the original very rare Superocean that first appeared in the mid 50's, here's a (borrowed) pic. Not sure how the Rolex ended up in the mix but I'd say the original Superocean was more like the first Blancpain 50 fathoms than the rolex which came out the same year if I'm not mistaken.. (1953) Now as far as who's copying who? well that's a completely new thread... The iwc was more of an impulse buy than a "wow I really have to have this" So I never really "loved it"
    The big bad "B" on the other hand, well.....what's not to love?

Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by face-ache; December 16th, 2011 at 00:29.

^ The Sub was in development since the early 50s.

The first Rolex Sub being marketed/sold to divers (Ref. 6200) at least as early as 1953 (had the bezel plus the Explorer dial initially, the numerals 3-6-9, which Explorer with its dial already on the market by then, and moreover famous on account of the fact it was climbing Mt. Everest at the time, with the Sub dial we now all know replacing in 1954 and in that same year being supplied officially to HRM British Navy, who were well aware of the 6200); meanwhile, prior to this, there was the Rolex Turnograph (bezel) before that, such that Rolex was first on all fronts (Blancpain is nice, but not first sorry, and as to the original Breitling Super Ocean, not until 1957 ... ;)

As to the Sub/SD, all a continuation by Rolex of its patented Oyster Case and Crown of 1926, lots of testing etc. going on by them during the WW2 (it made and/or supplied military watches, including the supply of movements, cases and crowns for dive watches), all culminating in its Sub and then Sea-Dweller, which contains its patented HEV tech etc. that it developed in cooperation with Doxa (and which is used by everyone today, apart from Seiko which has a different system for its divers, but no one else). The SD was fully tested by Cousteau and the legendary French commercial divers of COMEX for commercial, deep sea diving use prior to hitting the market also.

Curiously enough, the Sea-Dweller was also used by the famous astronaut Scott Carpenter for his SEA-LAB (he was also a NASA aquanaut, too) and who as may be recalled also wore a modified 24-hour Breitling Navi into space in 1962. Like him, I like both, too ;)

Cheers.
    Last edited by Sea-Wolf; December 16th, 2011 at 01:24.
    Breguet Rolex Tudor Breitling Longines IWC Mühle-Glashütte Tutima Hamilton TAG Heuer Cartier

OTHER: Vintage (Manual and Automatic), Modern (Automatic and Quartz).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information