Would you service before you sell?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Would you service before you sell?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    Member Aid1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    894

    Would you service before you sell?

    I'm thinking about selling my Visodate which is about 5 years old and hasn't had a service yet but keeps good time.

    Would you service it before selling or sell it as is and let the new owner make the decision as when to service it?
    My watch collection on Instagram —> aecos87

    Casio G-Shock GW-M5610
    Halios Seaforth (series 2) - Nimbus Grey
    Longines Legend Diver
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005)
    Rolex Submariner (114060)
    Seiko SARB017 ‘Alpinist’
    Seiko SARB065 ‘Cocktail Time’
    Tissot Visodate

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    189

    Re: Would you service before you sell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aid1987 View Post
    I'm thinking about selling my Visodate which is about 5 years old and hasn't had a service yet but keeps good time.

    Would you service it before selling or sell it as is and let the new owner make the decision as when to service it?
    I could go either way. As long as you give them all the facts when selling it, the final selling price should be fair. I keep in mind that some people may not know the recommended service interval on mechanical watches. You don’t want someone to get a watch and six months later feel they got scammed when it needs a service. Other buyers may go in fully aware, hoping they can go another five years before a service. Honesty is best.

  3. #3
    Member Gary123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,978

    Re: Would you service before you sell?

    Let the buyer know, but I would not service it. The majority of pre owned watches I buy need service, and the ones I've serviced before selling I can't say I got any benefit by having them serviced. I'm doing a sale now on an expensive watch and am splitting the service cost with the buyer.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Concord C1, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Royal Oak 18K, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, ti Panerai Sub, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Raza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    20,597

    Re: Would you service before you sell?

    Not unless it's showing signs that it needs service. I would, however, state that it has not been serviced in X amount of years, and I'd adjust the price down a little bit to account for that.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

    How did it get so late so soon?

  6. #5
    Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Hague-Amman-London-Berlin
    Posts
    48,644
    Kind regards
    Mike


    Instagram @mikestuffler

  7. #6
    Member lo_scrivano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,469

    Re: Would you service before you sell?

    Quite simple isn’t it?

    If price + effort to service is < premium as a result of such expense then yes. In most cases better to let buyer decide. Example: If I buy a watch needing service I want to decide if I also refinish case or leave as is. Preferences differ.
    Karlisnet likes this.


  8. #7
    Member Aid1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    894

    Re: Would you service before you sell?

    Quote Originally Posted by AardyArr View Post
    As long as you give them all the facts when selling it, the final selling price should be fair. Honesty is best.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    Let the buyer know, but I would not service it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Not unless it's showing signs that it needs service. I would, however, state that it has not been serviced in X amount of years, and I'd adjust the price down a little bit to account for that.
    Oh, I would of course be upfront about it not having been serviced. I've never sold a watch that ove owned for as long, usually they're under a year old.

    On one hand I think servicing might make it a more attractive buy to someone but then again that person may prefer to use their own watchmaker for peace of mind, providing the initial sale price is good.

    I think I'll just offer up the facts without a service and see how it goes. Thanks
    My watch collection on Instagram —> aecos87

    Casio G-Shock GW-M5610
    Halios Seaforth (series 2) - Nimbus Grey
    Longines Legend Diver
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005)
    Rolex Submariner (114060)
    Seiko SARB017 ‘Alpinist’
    Seiko SARB065 ‘Cocktail Time’
    Tissot Visodate

  9. #8
    Member Aid1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    894
    My watch collection on Instagram —> aecos87

    Casio G-Shock GW-M5610
    Halios Seaforth (series 2) - Nimbus Grey
    Longines Legend Diver
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005)
    Rolex Submariner (114060)
    Seiko SARB017 ‘Alpinist’
    Seiko SARB065 ‘Cocktail Time’
    Tissot Visodate

  10. #9
    Member Aid1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    894

    Re: Would you service before you sell?

    Quote Originally Posted by lo_scrivano View Post
    Quite simple isn’t it?

    If price + effort to service is < premium as a result of such expense then yes. In most cases better to let buyer decide. Example: If I buy a watch needing service I want to decide if I also refinish case or leave as is. Preferences differ.
    Not necessarily. If I liken it to buying a (used) car from a private party, no matter if they say it's been serviced and have paperwork to prove it, I'd still service it myself.

    I like knowing what parts have gone into it and that it's been done properly.

    As I said above, I think I'll see how it goes as is. I can always have it serviced later if I need to.

    Thanks for chipping in.
    My watch collection on Instagram —> aecos87

    Casio G-Shock GW-M5610
    Halios Seaforth (series 2) - Nimbus Grey
    Longines Legend Diver
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005)
    Rolex Submariner (114060)
    Seiko SARB017 ‘Alpinist’
    Seiko SARB065 ‘Cocktail Time’
    Tissot Visodate

  11. #10
    Member lo_scrivano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,469

    Re: Would you service before you sell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aid1987 View Post
    Not necessarily. If I liken it to buying a (used) car from a private party, no matter if they say it's been serviced and have paperwork to prove it, I'd still service it myself.

    I like knowing what parts have gone into it and that it's been done properly.

    As I said above, I think I'll see how it goes as is. I can always have it serviced later if I need to.

    Thanks for chipping in.
    I agree. I actually wouldn’t service it. And I prefer to buy an unserviced watch off the forums. I would buy a serviced watch from a reputable AD.
    Gary123 and Aid1987 like this.


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •