Would you Stand for the "Underdog"?
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Would you Stand for the "Underdog"?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Would you Stand for the "Underdog"?

For example: My Eterna is as nice as or nicer than a Rolex.

Now, my particular watch does not have an in-house movement. Well, maybe it does: In the house of Sellita, where they ...specialize ..in movements. Being 100% objective, am I really experiencing some type of shortcoming here? I do think, not.

Name:  M3KUahi.png
Views: 84
Size:  984.0 KB
    Last edited by frozenotter; April 29th, 2019 at 21:53.
    Chronopolis and slcbbrown like this.
    IWC Portuguese Vintage Hand Wound (stainless) - IWC Portuguese Vintage Hand Wound (white 18K) - Rolex Yachtmaster - Tag Heuer Limited Edition DiCaprio Aquaracer (Blue) - Edox Grand Ocean Day/Date - Eterna Kontiki Diver (Black) - Longines Hydroconquest (Black, Red bezel) - Certina DS Action (Black) - Victorinox Limited Edition 125th Anniversary Jubilee (Red), Collection State: Happily closed.

Re: Would you Stand for the "Underdog"?

My Casio is as nice as or nicer than your Eterna.
    There is a time for everything...
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away

Quote Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
    My Casio is as nice as or nicer than your Eterna.
    I respect your input; however I said "stand for the underdog". Your Casio is more accurate (to an insignificant degree), but is a mere child's toy in regards to what is considered "nice". Another way put, your Casio is like child doodle on loose leaf paper compared to art at the museum.

Don't mean to be harsh, but your post is quite invalid under the context of the thread title.
    Chronopolis likes this.
    IWC Portuguese Vintage Hand Wound (stainless) - IWC Portuguese Vintage Hand Wound (white 18K) - Rolex Yachtmaster - Tag Heuer Limited Edition DiCaprio Aquaracer (Blue) - Edox Grand Ocean Day/Date - Eterna Kontiki Diver (Black) - Longines Hydroconquest (Black, Red bezel) - Certina DS Action (Black) - Victorinox Limited Edition 125th Anniversary Jubilee (Red), Collection State: Happily closed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would always stand up for the underdog. There is just no reason to do it against another brand. I have quite a few micros, Seikos, Balls, Chr. Wards, etc., and other brands that deserve to be recognized. I also have a few Rolexes. I’m a fan of Eterna. However, in no way can it be said that any Eterna is as nice or nicer than a Rolex. Other than beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Rolex’s build quality outdoes that of any Eterna. Rolex’s build quality is way up there, including using white gold markers and hands, special bezel systems, and a polishing that compares to the famous zaratsu polishing of certain Grand Seikos. Yes, I also believe that Rolex movements having a Parachrom hairspring, Breguet overcoil and other improvements over canned ETA or Sellita movements (and I like ETA and Sellita movements). So, there is no way to reasonably compare them, as they are not in the same league. Having said that, you’re free to like and enjoy whatever you want, including believing that you like an Eterna over a Rolex anytime.
    Last edited by playinwittime; April 29th, 2019 at 08:07.
    Simon, mleok, JimmyMack75 and 1 others like this.

My timex is as nice as your eterna! Name:  C60869E1-180F-4B52-9A84-40903D7675C6.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  490.2 KB
    Barge, FBPB, Gunnar_917 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by playinwittime View Post
    I’m a fan of Eterna. However, in no way can it be said that any Eterna is as nice or nicer than a Rolex. Other than beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Rolex’s build quality out does that of any Eterna. Yes, I also believe that Rolex movements having a Parachrom hairspring, Breguet overcoil and other improvements over canned ETA or Sellita movements (and I like ETA and Sellita movements). So, there is no way to reasonably compare them as they are not in the same league. Having said that, you’re free to like and enjoy whatever you want, including believing that you like an Eterna over a Rolex anytime.
    Yes, the "Overcoil". How could I have missed that??

Being realistic you have really hair split insignificance. I'm not exactly new to this so you don't have to patronize me either. No offense. As far as the build quality and finish, this is more where I'm going: The Eterna is a more nicely built watch and the finishing (which is really where I'm at) is better under loupe analysis. The one thing I'm not trying to say is that Rolex lacks - it's quite obvious they do not and it would be a grossly inaccurate assessment.

I am very aware that I've made a pretty big "statement" but I'm going to call the spade a spade and go with my ...very detailed observation.

:^)
    Chronopolis and Hanz L like this.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenotter View Post
    I respect your input; however I said "stand for the underdog". Your Casio is more accurate (to an insignificant degree), but is a mere child's toy in regards to what is considered "nice". Another way put, your Casio is like child doodle on loose leaf paper compared to art at the museum.

Don't mean to be harsh, but your post is quite invalid under the context of the thread title.
    I think you were incredibly harsh with David, and I'm not sure his example didn't fit the context. As far as I understand it, your Eterna is much less expensive than the Rolex, and thus, you are casting cheap (as underdog) against expensive (as the assumed superior). The only other context, and this would be a secondary one, would be to equate less common (underdog--your Eterna) to more common, (superior--the Rolex).

Given the context as you have presented it, I would have naturally assumed the former--that you are thinking lower cost sometimes beats higher cost--but, since "value" is subjective, how can the Casio not be cast in such a light, and not be allowed to be considered as an underdog worthy of competing against the heavyweights?

But, if you are thinking that anonymity sometimes can trump the commonplace, then I will place my Ball (for example Trainmaster Flying Scotsman, first generation Fireman, Trainmaster Voyager GMT PR, etc.) against most any Rolex or IWC, any day.

The underdog question started out somewhat fun and interesting, but your replies certainly drove a stake into the heart of the festivities.
    Last edited by timefleas; April 29th, 2019 at 08:17.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentiethCenturyFox View Post
    My timex is as nice as your eterna! Name:  C60869E1-180F-4B52-9A84-40903D7675C6.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  490.2 KB

Very objective.

Clown.

Of course.

I also like my Eterna and although I happily acknowledge Rolex’s undoubted superiority in almost every way I wouldn’t have one if paid. Hard as it may be to believe, there is no rule that obliges you to like what others like.
    Last edited by G550driver; April 29th, 2019 at 08:56.
    G550 (retd.)

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    I think you were incredibly harsh with David, and I'm not sure his example didn't fit the context. As far as I understand it, your Eterna is much less expensive than the Rolex, and thus, you are casting cheap (as underdog) against expensive (as the assumed superior). The only other context, and this would be a secondary one, would be to equate less common (underdog--your Eterna) to more common, (superior--the Rolex).

Given the context as you have presented it, I would have naturally assumed the former--that you are thinking lower cost sometimes beats higher cost--but, since "value" is subjective, how can the Casio not be cast in such a light, and not be allowed to be considered as an underdog worthy of competing against the heavyweights?

But, if you are thinking that anonymity sometimes can trump the commonplace, then I will place my Ball (for example Trainmaster Flying Scotsman, first generation Fireman, Trainmaster Voyager GMT PR, etc.) against most any Rolex or IWC, any day.

The underdog question started out somewhat fun and interesting, but your replies certainly drove a stake into the heart of the festivities.
    Ok, so far we're two jokers in (no not you). If we're being completely relative here then let's pull in a bubble gum machine watch. This is a "nice as" in a literal sense of build and craftsmanship. I believe the context is very apparent, and "David" stepping in with his post was just to be "ironic" on a bend to personal preference. This is not about one's preference.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information