would you be upset with seller / situation - bought a 1950s Girard-Perregaux. . . .

Thread: would you be upset with seller / situation - bought a 1950s Girard-Perregaux. . . .

would you be upset with seller / situation - bought a 1950s Girard-Perregaux. . . .

Not long ago I purchased a 1950s, steel-cased, Girard Perregaux Sea Hawk from one of the more well known and well respected sellers on Ebay. It was listed as: 1. original; 2. keeping accurate time, having just been serviced. Visually it was in great condition, with untouched dial, yet on a new strap.

Upon receipt, I discovered it was running ~10 minutes slow per day. (yes, minutes.) I wasn't too happy about it, but realized that things do happen, and didn't really 'sweat' about it. I reached out to the seller, who was quite accommodating, indicating I should send it to his watch maker. I did. Within a week I received word the main spring was being replaced, would be timed for a few days, and shipped back to me.

I opened the box today. Visually it looks the same, except the original winding crown has been replaced with a brass colored, "JJ" (Jules Jurgensen?) crown. It clearly is no longer original. I wasn't aware of this swap until I opened the box.

Even if it now keeps strong time, as it was originally advertised as: how would you react? A good part of the allure for me was that it was an original piece. Now it's a visible franken-watch, with a crown that doesn't even match the color of the case.

Thank you for your feedback.

Re: would you be upset with seller / situation - bought a 1950s Girard-Perregaux. . . .

I think you need to contact both and explain the problem. If it were me, I would insist on the seller/watch maker returning the original crown. In the worst case, refund an amount sufficient to obtain an original replacement. Barring that, a return for a full refund. On the other hand, maybe it is simply an oversight from the watch maker and your original crown is sitting on the work bench waiting to be returned to it's rightful place, on your watch. Won't know until you contact them. Or, it is hiding in some obscure corner of the work shop floor waiting to be found years from now, and a replacement was installed in the hopes it would not be noticed.
    Last edited by petevig; October 16th, 2015 at 22:01.

Thread Information