Wound Or Unwound

Thread: Wound Or Unwound

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rxq

Wound Or Unwound

Do you guys leave your Chinese Mechanicals (the ones you rarely wear) wound or unwound?

1. Victorinox Renegade (1999)
    2. Seiko 5 Superior SNZC27K1 (2007)
    3. Citizen SS Skyhawk A-T U600 (2008)
    4. Suunto Core 2009 Y/B (Replaced Y08 model)(2008-9)
    5. Chenevard Skeleton T22200 (Replaced MZI Corinth LGG) (2008-9)
    6. Millionsmart 1801 Flying Tourbillon SS (Replaced RG) (2009)
    7. Two time zone Skeleton (Modified 6497 Movement) (2009)
    8. Citizen Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater G900 (2009)
    9. Alpha Daytona S/B Chronograph
    10. PTS Tourbillon

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Re: Wound Or Unwound

Most of my watches are hand-winding only. I wind them when I want to wear them, or occasionally wind them the preceding day if I know I'm going to need a particular watch and don't want to waste time setting it in the morning. Whenever I pick up an automatic, I always have to give it a couple of turns to get it started, except on the rare occasion that I want to wear the same watch as yesterday.

I don't understand why anybody would invest in an electricity-eating, noise and ozone-generating rotating watch-agitator, instead of letting their watches rest occasionally. JMHO.

I let mine rest if I'm not wearing them. I do wind them at least once a month to keep the lubricants circulated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

unwound when not worn.
    Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River (AMCH/PR) 中国手表博物馆,皮斯里弗,艾伯塔省; Member: China Horologe Association; Chief Expert: China Watch Overseas Working Committee (CWOWC), a formally instituted CHA Working Committee; Sino-Canadian Horological Cultural Affairs Advisor: Guangzhou Watches and Clocks Association

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    I don't understand why anybody would invest in an electricity-eating, noise and ozone-generating rotating watch-agitator, instead of letting their watches rest occasionally. JMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaTime View Post
    unwound when not worn.
    +1

Cheers,
    gigfy
    Just to name a few:
    Sharkey SBDX001 Sharkmaster
    Seiko White Stargate SKZ323
    Hamilton Pioneer Mechanical H60419533
    Hamilton Limited Edition Pocket Watch H51459013
    Timex Camper Mechanical (May 1991)

-Gone
    Minorva Crazy Hours Mechanical
    Shanghai Military Diver Model 114 - 24 Jewel SS4 Automatic

Mostly for my watches that don't hand wind like my Orients. It's nice to be able to pick up a watch and the time and date is already set and ready to wear. It also allows me to see which watches are keeping the best time over time. I also read that it's better for the watch if keeps running. Because I travel every week and I only take two watches with me on trips, all of my other watches would be run down when I return. It's convenient for me.

Alpha SMP, Blue Sub, MilSub, Pepsi GMT, P.O. black
    Omega Seamaster Professional 300m 2221.80.00
    Orient Black, Blue, Orange & Yellow Mako, Black Sub, CEX0R001B, Orient Star WZ0111EL
    Seiko 7N43-6A09, #SNA548, #SND721P1
    Steinhart Ocean-1 Blue-Red GMT

Next Up: ?

Unwound - too many watches to worry about keeping them all wound.
    (I'd rather be driving)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rxq View Post
    Do you guys leave your Chinese Mechanicals (the ones you rarely wear) wound or unwound?
    If I only had half a dozen watches, I would keep them all wound just because I enjoy the exercise.
    But with the number I have accumulated, it would be close to a two hour job to wind them all at a sitting..

As a result, I leave most to do what ever they are going to do and keep the half dozen I like most running...just because I like to :)

Newbie question: is it better to keep unworn watches wound, or to only do so when they're worn?

As a fairly new convert to watches, and mechanical watches in particular, I wasn't sure what would be better for the overall maintenance of my collection. Is it better to wind all of my watches every day and keep them continually running, or to let them sit and deal with the hassle of winding and setting them only when I decide to work them into the rotation? Thanks so much for helping out a noob!

Re: Newbie question: is it better to keep unworn watches wound, or to only do so when they're worn?

Some people buy watch winders to keep their automatics wound when not being worn. I don't feel the need for one. I have a complicated automatic (day/date/month/moonphase) that I keep manually wound because it's a pain to set it. I have 2 automatics with date complication that I generally wear at least every other day and generally have some reserve left in them. I have a manual-wind with no complications thats a breeze to set and I just let it run down. It all depends on the level of effort/expense you want to go to to pick up a mechanical watch and go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information