WR Question: Tubing
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CuriousBob

Thread: WR Question: Tubing

WR Question: Tubing

I've tried searching this site as well as just a regular google search, but can't seem to find out what WR would be good, if any, for tubing. I'll be on the boats this weekend and while there is no need to wear a watch, it had crossed my mind. I've blown out my ear drum tubing before though, so I'm wondering if any watches will withstand a violent smash into the water. Just curious. I have a Mako and a G Shock that are both 200 WR, but it doesn't seem like that's enough...nor would I want to take the Mako for that ride in any case.

Thanks
    "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." - Earl Nightingale.

I'm sure the g-shock can take it but I don't see the point. I'd just leave it in the glove box.
    Lord Monocle likes this.

Re: WR Question: Tubing

Quote Originally Posted by ABud21 View Post
    I've tried searching this site as well as just a regular google search, but can't seem to find out what WR would be good, if any, for tubing. I'll be on the boats this weekend and while there is no need to wear a watch, it had crossed my mind. I've blown out my ear drum tubing before though, so I'm wondering if any watches will withstand a violent smash into the water. Just curious. I have a Mako and a G Shock that are both 200 WR, but it doesn't seem like that's enough...nor would I want to take the Mako for that ride in any case.

Thanks
    Impact is your problem, water resistance would be fine for either. The Mako's going to sustain damage to the movement if you hit the water at high speed. Both watches are most likely to suffer a spring bar failure and make their way, intact, to the bottom of the lake. Turn the alarm or hourly chime on your G-Shock so the fish have something to listen to.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Haha, ok. I was just curious, but you both confirmed what I had suspected. No need to risk it and it probably won't end well.
    "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." - Earl Nightingale.

Tubing with a watch comes under the category of "just askin' for it"...
    Last edited by lovebandit; July 23rd, 2015 at 03:08.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Water resistance isn't critical. 200m is plenty. The most important thing is finding a bracelet or strap design that will withstand high speed impact with water without the clasp releasing or the bracelet /band breaking away from the lugs.

If it was me, and I wanted to wear a watch while tubing, I'd use a watch that has screw bars rather than spring bars (an Oris diver, for example), and then I'd put it on a NATO, Zulu or RAF strap for added security.

Thread Information