WR and screw down crown
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By G26okie

Thread: WR and screw down crown

WR and screw down crown

I received in my e-mail the usual almost once a day e-mail from Long Island watches an advertisement for Aristo watches. All of the watches, and in particular, the automatic movements, had a WR of 50m (screwed in back type). This got me to thinking. I have a Timex scout watch which has a snap on case, no screw down crown and cost me all of $35 and yet has a WR of 50m. Assuming Timex's WR is in the ballpark of what it purports, is the key element for getting above 50m the screw down crown? How much more does it cost to use a screw down crown? It seems to me the advantages would outweigh any negatives (are there any?).

Re: WR and screw down crown

Quote Originally Posted by walt hamm View Post
    I received in my e-mail the usual almost once a day e-mail from Long Island watches an advertisement for Aristo watches. All of the watches, and in particular, the automatic movements, had a WR of 50m (screwed in back type). This got me to thinking. I have a Timex scout watch which has a snap on case, no screw down crown and cost me all of $35 and yet has a WR of 50m. Assuming Timex's WR is in the ballpark of what it purports, is the key element for getting above 50m the screw down crown? How much more does it cost to use a screw down crown? It seems to me the advantages would outweigh any negatives (are there any?).
    I believe there is quite a bit of misinformation out there about water resistance ratings when it comes to watches. I don't know how to really explain it, but somewhere along the line a 3ATM rating which should technically be fine to 30 meters, is just about resistant to washing your hands and rain/splashes.

I don't know how or why this kinda thing became the standard because it is quite ridiculous.

As far as a screw down crown being the difference between 50m and higher? That is not the case. Actually on my wrist right now is a Victorinox Chrono Classic XLS without a screw down crown, or screw down pushers rated to 100m and it has been tested to such.
    chefmhf likes this.
    Class: Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39
    Avant-garde: Tag Heuer 01 Carrera Skeleton
    Aquatic: Omega Seamaster Pro 300m
    Tool: G-Shock Gulfman

How much diving will you be doing below 165 feet?
    "Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Marketing...that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by G26okie View Post
    I believe there is quite a bit of misinformation out there about water resistance ratings when it comes to watches. I don't know how to really explain it, but somewhere along the line a 3ATM rating which should technically be fine to 30 meters, is just about resistant to washing your hands and rain/splashes.

I don't know how or why this kinda thing became the standard because it is quite ridiculous.

As far as a screw down crown being the difference between 50m and higher? That is not the case. Actually on my wrist right now is a Victorinox Chrono Classic XLS without a screw down crown, or screw down pushers rated to 100m and it has been tested to such.
    I agree 100%. Seiko 5 has WR to 100m but no screw down crown. As I understand it there are other watches with higher WR and no screw down crown. I believe the SD crown is more of a back up. The real WR is accomplished by the rubber seals that become tighter under pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Michael

The Better
    Rolex Oysterquartz day/date 19018 (yellow gold); Rolex Oyster Perpetual day/date 18039 (white gold); Rolex Yachtmaster 116622; Omega Seamaster Co-Axial Professional 2220.80; Eterna KonTiki Date 1220.41.63.0268; Ball Engineer Master II Aviator GMT GM1086C-L1-BK; Franck Muller Casablanca 5850 (Salmon dial); Panerai Luminor Marina PAM 111; Frederic Constant Vintage Rally Healey GMT FC350CH5B4

The Good
    Smiths Everest PRS-25, Seiko SKX009 Seiko Mini Ice Monster SRP481K1 Tissot T-Race T472; Technomarine Yacht; Citizen Aqualand (circa 1989); Swiss Legend Sprinter; Stuhrling Adamas Open Heart Regulator; Shinola Runwell 41mm; Raymond Weil Tango 5560; Benrus Curvex (Circa 1930); Seiko 5 Automatic SNK805

Why would anyone take a shower 50 meters under water?
    Sinner

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

FYI you can get up to 200m or more water resistance without needing a screw down crown. Since recreational dive depth limits are 30-40 meters, how much depth do you really need? I often dive with a cheapo Seiko 5 without a screw down crown, and have never had a problem.

Thread Information