Wristwatch style FAQ?

Thread: Wristwatch style FAQ?

Question Wristwatch style FAQ?

Hello,

I may be poking a beehive but here it goes. I am looking for general information regarding watch styles. Most collectors prefer manuals to automatics, automatics to quartz, quartz to digital. I have found out about dress, sporty, diver, military types of watches but cannot make the difference.

Dress watches general tend to have light colored dials, leather or metal band. If leather, one is supposed to match it with the belt and shoe color. No information on sporty watches.

Diver types are easier to identify; but are black dials preferable to light ones in this type of class? Larger the better? What makes a military watch other than the resistance to weather conditions?

To make it short, is there any FAQ on wristwatch styles? I apologize if there is indeed a FAQ here; I just could not find it. The above statements are just what I gathered on reading some of the posts here.

Thank you for your time,

Re: Wristwatch style FAQ?

Quote Originally Posted by kaissa View Post
    Hello,

I may be poking a beehive but here it goes. I am looking for general information regarding watch styles. Most collectors prefer manuals to automatics, automatics to quartz, quartz to digital. I have found out about dress, sporty, diver, military types of watches but cannot make the difference.

Dress watches general tend to have light colored dials, leather or metal band. If leather, one is supposed to match it with the belt and shoe color. No information on sporty watches.

Diver types are easier to identify; but are black dials preferable to light ones in this type of class? Larger the better? What makes a military watch other than the resistance to weather conditions?

To make it short, is there any FAQ on wristwatch styles? I apologize if there is indeed a FAQ here; I just could not find it. The above statements are just what I gathered on reading some of the posts here.

Thank you for your time,
    There is none, thank goodness. There are so many variables that the list would be unusably large.

Welcome to the forum. There is such a variety of styles and purposes for watches nowadays that a general FAQ would be impossible to set up, let alone maintain.
    The best way to get your questions answered is to visit a number of our theme forums, look at pictures, get a feel for the general watch style and utility and ask your questions there. There's no easy way to answer, and in many cases no consensus answer exists. You'll always find an exception to the rule.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The first thing I really noticed when I started reading/posting here is that rarely everyone agrees and a lot comes down to taste.

Good example: Omega vs Rolex.

So while a FAQ with basic information on movements might be feasible (while even there people tend to disagree on things) anything with quartz vs digital or sizes will just be an endless list of exceptions and sub sections.

The search is generally my FAQ .

Thread Information