Yawn

Thread: Yawn

Off Topic post Yawn

YAWN - Yet Another Watch noob OMG OMG OMG

Hello, I just want share a few thoughts ok?

I am from Sweden and raised by Finnish parents, 34 years old and about 2 months ago I got very interested in the mechanics of a watch. I have like 1000 interests and now I found one more. However this is so far the best I found yet for my own well-being. I am kinda hyperactive person, works very fast and gets stuff done but yet good. I am also very accurate most of the time. I am almost a machine engineer although stuff happened in my life so I will not get any degree any time soon, maybe in the next two years or so depending on time. I work as an testing engineer and I have also been into programming.

So what happened?
    Well as soon as I sat down with these tiny pieces my whole body kinda knew I need to be calm and I entered a whole new world both mentally and physically. I just got very calm and focused which I usually never am(calm that is but focus can also wonder away). I felt so relaxed and good. So far I dissembled 2 watches and manage to fix them. Although the first one probably got some damage from me because it runs like 5 minutes slow every day. LOL
    I just love the mechanics :-D

I've been reading in extreme amounts of knowledge from the internet and a few books I gathered. I am kinda a quick learner and it helps cause there's a whole lot to learn.

I also got thinking, since I like to create stuff and tend to think a lot, why not try to make an own design?
    My mind is spinning hard and I already have some creative ideas. Some more crazy then others.

I do not know where I should or will start but I have at least gathered most of the good tools I need and made a few, I also made my own table top but I need to do it again. The magnifying glass I have is not very good so that needs to be replaced by something else. I also started working on a dial and a case.
    I will probably start a project thread in the near future where I will share my ideas and progress.

Well, just wanted to share a bit about me.
    I am usually not the person that ask a lot but if I do, I will be very happy about every input I get, good or bad. Some of my questions might be "stupid" but is there really stupid questions, how else can one learn :-D

Thank you everyone for all the super stuff you put into these forums. AWESOME

Cheers /Janne

Re: Yawn

Welcome to the forum, Janne! I hope you stick around.

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

With your high energy and love of engineering, I'm sure you've found the right interest!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you are on the path to WISdom, taking apart and putting together watches is a great start. There are some very knowledgeable people in here (including some watchmakers), and you can definitely learn a lot hanging around the Vintage and Watchmaking sub-forums. Perhaps, we'll get to see watches with your design DNA real soon
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

WOW, thank you, what a welcoming.

Yep, maybe I finally found what I wanna do, cannot explain the feeling and somehow everything else is more fun also, even car repair. Since I've been kinda poor most of my life I kinda had to learn how to build stuff and fix stuff, might come in handy these days :-P

And yes, perhaps my design DNA will sparkle. Worst case scenario is I will end up with a watch of some kind :-D
    Although I am not in a hurry, it will take the time it will take.

Thanks for the tip about Vintage and Watchmaking sub-forums, I have been there already quite a bit but now I will read til my eyes bleed. :-D

The inspiration here is outstanding, now off to sleep a bit. Cya

Thread Information