Yay or nay? [first time buyer]
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Yay or nay? [first time buyer]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yay or nay? [first time buyer]

Hi there fellow WUSers. Before I get onto the topic, I just wanted to say something about my history with wristwatches: it's practically empty. Now that I'm almost 25, I've come to the point in my life where my attire actually matters (during interviews, casual meetings, chasing undergrad ladies and the sort). As I continue to change the way I dress, the fragrances I wear and the shoes I polish, I feel that getting a watch or two couldn't hurt.

Being a Canadian, there really is very limited choice compared to our down below counterparts and most of our prices are relatively insane. I looked at a couple of big retailers like Sears for watches but none of them suited me too well for my budget of $300 for my first watch.

However, I did end up finding a Bulova 96A116 Marine Star at Costco for $280 which seems (is it?) like a reasonable price for a Canadian seller. Does WUS think it would be a good buy?

I somewhat wanted to get a simplistic watch (not a fan of divers at all) for everyday wear with a leather band but I couldn't find anything locally. There was also a Citizen Eco-Drive JZ1020-54E (it's a bit lighter than the image below) for $180. Which of the two would you guys recommend? Thanks!

Bulova:Name:  41lsQuf0ojL.jpg
Views: 2129
Size:  28.7 KB

Citizen: Name:  92647lb_20.jpeg
Views: 3018
Size:  44.7 KB

Banned

Re: Yay or nay? [first time buyer]

Hi Nook! Welcome to WUS! :)

For a first time buyer and young man I would clearly recommend to look at Citizen Eco-Drive, as you have wisely done already and at a Seiko 5 sports watch.

However, to the actual choices me says Nay. ;)

Look at this baby from Citizen at USD240:
    Citizen Eco-Drive Perpetual Calendar 200 Meter Chrono Titanium - Leather Strap BL5250-02L

Titanium, ecodrive, alarm, perpetual calendar, second time zone, chrono with tachymetre scale, date, dive bezel, 200m WR. Very sweet. Hard to beat. I got a Citizen Modena Chrono in Titanium with the same movement. Great watch. The design is a bit like a Breguet which is actually well done here. Looks classy. So that would be the chrono option.

For a good and more simple everyday watch which you can also wear with a suit for an interview without looking like a moron who doesn't know how to dress ;), you could choose something like this:
    Amazon.com: Men's Citizen World Perpetual A-T Watch: Watches

It is radio-controlled and you will thus not have to set the time or date. Always on time. There are different dial versions and versions with leather straps, too. Check'em out.

As a great example of the sporty watches in the Seiko 5 range take this one:
    Seiko 5 Sports Mens Automatic Navy Blue Dial Divers Watch SNZH53K1 SNZH53

You could get any two of these and still stay under $500. Just order them online in the US and have them shipped. Me, I'd get the first Citizen Chrono and the Seiko.
    Duder likes this.

Welcome Nook
    i think I would go with the eco-drive. You know that watch will be bullet proof and go for years with no need to change batteries. I am not a big fan of the sub dial layout on that Bulova.
    Regards Cam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

If you've access to a debit/ credit card, you can do a lot better than either of these. I can't remember any Eco-Drive owner ever having a problem; they are the defualt choice for a Japanese quartz these days. Personally though, I'd recommend a Mondaine EVO. Timeless, classless, with a good mvt in it. You simply cannot go wrong with one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

neurogenesis likes this.

I am also Canadian. I have never purchased a watch in Canada. You get far more value for money purchasing through internet retailers. And there is much more available on line than you can get from the domestic market (e.g., Seiko automatic watches are really great value but you cannot buy them at a store). Take your time to research things here and you'll find something you'll love. A warning, however: It is highly unlikely that you'll actually stop at just 1 or 2 watches... lol.
    COLLECTION

CURRENT - Rolex 14060M | Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 Mitsukoshi Panda | Omega Speedmaster 3590.50 | Omega Seamaster 300 Cal. 552 | Seiko SBDX001 Marine Master 300 |Seiko 6309-7040 | Stowa Marine Original | Casio G-Shock GW6900-1

Just remember that if you purchase outside Canada, you (may) be liable for duty and applicable taxes and customs fees upon receipt of your item. Better budget an additional 20% for that. You might get lucky but chances are you won't.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Nook, unfortunatley, I don't like either of of the 2 watches that you provided for example. You stated that you were looking for something for interviews and casual meetings, and these are just not going to work- the dial layouts are very awkward and strange. I work in business, and dress in business/ business casual attire, and trust me, these are not interview watches. Also, and maybe more importantly, I'm not sure how the undergrad ladies would feel about these watches. They look a little strange, imo.

Fortunately, there are probably hundreds of good watches in your price range that you can research on this site, and you can practically order most watches from trusted internet sites, at a good price. Watchalex gave you 3 excellent choices right there. I will also recommend one watch from my own personal collection for you: Citizen EcoDrive Calibre 8700.

pic borrowed from net

This is a perpetual calendar watch running on solar power eco -drive technology (basically a set it and forget it with no battery changes). It comes in many different dial and strap variations, the white and black is mine, which, imo, is a knockout combo. This is an excellent piece as a dress watch, interview watch, for chasing ladies, etc. I have been complimented numerous times on it, and people tend to think this watch falls into a $1k category, and I let them think that although it meets your budget requirements. (:
    Watchalex, JorgeT and marksmadsen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by persco View Post
    I am also Canadian. I have never purchased a watch in Canada. You get far more value for money purchasing through internet retailers. And there is much more available on line than you can get from the domestic market (e.g., Seiko automatic watches are really great value but you cannot buy them at a store). Take your time to research things here and you'll find something you'll love. A warning, however: It is highly unlikely that you'll actually stop at just 1 or 2 watches... lol.
    I totally agree. The selection/price-point in Canada is terrible. I also do all of my purchases online. Spend some time in the Sales Forum, there are always good deals there for watches that in many cases are almost like new.

Banned

Duder's suggestion is nice, too. A very elaborate watch. Definitely looks like it cost more. Citizen will never be mentioned in any overpriced threads. ;)

Steve's suggestion is off the beaten path and I like it for that. More modern than what Duder and I suggested. Certainly equal quality.

I really wonder why the selection in Canada is not good. It's a rich and very civilized country. Is it a matter of low population density that makes it a hard market to offer a wide selection of watches because you'd have to ship them to points of sale far apart and at each point of sale there'd only be a limited number of potential customers? That's the only explanation I can come up with like that.

The Citizen Eco Drive Nighthawk is another very popular model that meets your budget criteria. More of a sport watch than the 8700.

Amazon is a great place to research and purchase Citizen watches. I believe they also offer a 5 yr Citizen warranty as well. If you order a watch and you do not like it, you have a return window period for a full refund. It is definately worth a look.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information