A year on WUS and its affects....
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: A year on WUS and its affects....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Garden City Park, New York, United States

I came on here give or take a year ago find out all about my soon to be Omega SMP 2220.80 and I have been on here almost daily since.

4400 likes \ 500 likes given
    1231 Posts

Here are things that I learned and acquired since being on this board.

• Tissot Visodate (black dial) because its the best value in dress watches and everyone needs one (thx teeritz)
    • Orient Mako XL (Orange Bezel) best 100 dollar watch on the planet (pre price hike)
    • Watchadoo is a great go-to aftermarket bracelet that looks good on almost anything
    • That I even like Mesh Bracelets
    • Countless WRUW'ings
    • Orange Monster , the most famous watch that no one has seen or heard of in any stores (Seiko still makes automatics?)
    • DeepBlue - One of my cheapest and most expensive (under 1k) and both great values and Tritium Rocks(allot)
    • The Ability to change my own straps and resize my own bracelets (and curse and the seiko OM bracelet)
    • Owning of multiple straps for watches
    • Knowing the diff between Nato and Zulu
    • The fact that I *NEED* a Speedy Pro at some-point.
    • The fact that I need a Reverso at some point.
    • That Casio was dumb for killing Oceanus
    • Saphire Crystals are the deal
    • Tissot's are great bang for the buck.
    • That I CAN shower with dive watches :)
    • The Diff between 2824's 2836 and 2892's as well as the diff between a 2500c and 2500d
    • Hacking vs non hacking (my Orient vs. my New OM)
    • That I can wear 45mm on my tiny 7 1/4 wrist (trope/meme)
    • That I can fully disassemble and reassemble a dive watch (thanks to my crystal swap on my mako (sapphire)
    • That is safe and easy to buy watches from WUS (thanks to all my sellers)
    • That a empty watch box or winder slot is a very dangerous thing.
    • That while I have a few chrono's I am more a 3 hand kind of guy save for that speedy to be

That there are great knowalgeable helpful ppl on here with the same illness I have.

Name:  Omega SMP hipsta 1-1.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  178.0 KB
    Name:  Tissot Visodte in gct 2-001.JPG
Views: 573
Size:  150.3 KB
    Name:  Luminox Atacama 1833-001.JPG
Views: 582
Size:  115.0 KB
    Name:  tissotv-009.JPG
Views: 552
Size:  161.3 KB
    Name:  Orient Mako XL orange.JPG
Views: 1594
Size:  74.5 KB
    Name:  smp and om lume-001.JPG
Views: 580
Size:  119.2 KB

Last edited by MikeCfromLI; December 27th, 2012 at 22:40.
    MikeCfromLI

Re: A year on WUS and its affects....

Thanks for sharing your experiences and your hopes for the future. You have a great collection. Since you have come this far, this fast, I have a feeling you will acquire that Speedy Pro in the 2013...
    marchone likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Great collection and post, Michael!

Seiko Coke Turtle (07.11.2018) Citizen Ecozilla (06.16.2018) Deep Blue Juggernaut III Blue (08.14.2014) Deep Blue Pro Aqua 1500 Black (06.23.2012)
    Parnis Sterile GMT (06.28.2018) Seiko Orange Samurai (06.02.2018) Armida A8 Green/Date (06.21.2014) Deep Blue AP Chrono (06.12.2012)
    Citizen Chandler Ti (06.23.2018) Seiko SNE273 (06.20.2015) G-Shock DW9052-1V (12.25.2012)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Garden City Park, New York, United States

I wanted a Sinn U1 and a Planet Ocean but I blew this years watch budget on a Boss 302

The Deepblue Daynight recon is going to have to hold me over for a little while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images Attached Images

MikeCfromLI

Great Post and in my six months here, I too have learned a LOT. I've learned so much, made great friends, bought some very nice watches, bought extra bands (though I still don't know how to change them myself) and have written over 1100 posts in just 6 months. I've liked a lot more than I've been liked, but I've truly liked a lot.

This place is a life changer for sure and I think you agree that many of us have found a community of great people to share our addiction with.
    camb66 likes this.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

From late 2011 to 2012, I was buying watches left and right.

But for 2013, I'm going for fewer pieces, two or even three at most, that bear heritage, quality and durability and, most importantly, comfort. I realize that the watch that often remains in my collection is usually the most comfortable one.

I've also since learned during my year at WUS:

- How to change the bracelet and straps on my own watches
    - How to remove the fat spring bars from a Seiko using dental floss -- works like a charm!
    - How to size my own bracelet (I almost had my MM300 bracelet come apart because my former local "watch guy" couldn't fit the collars right)
    - Buy and sell items costing in the hundreds from strangers over the internet
    - Way too much about Seiko divers
    - My watch preferences and aesthetics for my 6.5" wrists: light and thin with vintage/timeless styling.
    - How to take good pictures with an iPhone to acquire loads of "likes"
    - That everyone around me thinks I'm obsessed with watches. (True)
    - That there's fortunately tons of crazy people like me who share this "passion." Thanks buddies! I don't feel so alone now.
    - That I have developed a keen eye for spotting watches at a distance. I call it "WIS sense"
    - That I have watch recon and other watch sites at the ready
    - That I browse WUS on my phone while walking around
    - That there is no such thing as a "keeper for sure."

That said, I can see myself learning even more from the watch gurus here as I explore other watch brands. Thanks for the fun ride.
    Last edited by Ottovonn; December 26th, 2012 at 04:22.
    MikeCfromLI likes this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by RBrylawski View Post
    Great Post and in my six months here, I too have learned a LOT. I've learned so much, made great friends, bought some very nice watches, bought extra bands (though I still don't know how to change them myself) and have written over 1100 posts in just 6 months. I've liked a lot more than I've been liked, but I've truly liked a lot.

This place is a life changer for sure and I think you agree that many of us have found a community of great people to share our addiction with.
    Ha,Ha very well said my friend . Addiction it is . I'm lucky that my family thinks that my addiction is better than many other ones . Seriously I will take a moment and say thanks for all the guys that chime in with a good peace of advice when I and the rest of the newbies need it . I've learned a lot on this forum about watches and I hope many others did too.:)
    RBrylawski likes this.
    Current watches:
    George J. Von Burg Automatic Chronograph
    Seiko Premier Automatic
    Certina DS Action Automatic
    Victorinox Airboss Mach 4 Handwind
    Vostok Amphibia Automatic
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman
    Citizen Eco-Drive
    Royce Automatic,Marcel&Cie and many more vintage watches....

Quote Originally Posted by zonk View Post
    Ha,Ha very well said my friend . Addiction it is . I'm lucky that my family thinks that my addiction is better than many other ones . Seriously I will take a moment and say thanks for all the guys that chime in with a good peace of advice when I and the rest of the newbies need it . I've learned a lot on this forum about watches and I hope many others did too.:)
    Thanks......I'll take my watch addiction over most others any day for sure! At least our watch addictions leave us in a semi-sane, sober mind, but they do require expensive fixes!
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

For me it's been more than just what I've learned (which has been immense), but also what I've been able to reaffirm. Hanging out with a bunch of non-WIS made me start doubting some decisions/choices regarding watches:

1) There are a lot of people who think "small" watches look great (a good portion of my group snicker at the idea of wearing anything under 40mm - and I'm in Manila so none of us have the 6'4''/300 lbs with a 9 inch wrist excuse)

2) Perfectly good stuff comes from Germany. While I wasn't a fanboy of German watches before WUS, I assumed any country that can be a pioneer in automotive technology should be able to make a watch equivalent to the Swiss.

3) Even the most learned watch aficionados aren't 100% sure about the correct way to pronounce "Jaeger LeCoultre"

4) I wasn't crazy for choosing Ball for my first major watch purchase. That one garnered a ton of jokes/flack from non-WIS for obvious reasons.

5) There are more premium brand choices aside from Rolex and Patek (Tough one because I come from a very Rolex-centric family)

6) In-house movements are *NOT* all they're cracked up to be - especially after paying for an overhaul. Definitely more ETA and Sellita in my future.

7) Rotating bezels and chornograph function have more uses than people give em credit for.

8) Moonphase complications are just as redundant as I thought (albeit aesthetically pleasing). I never raised the "why don't you just look out your window at night" angle since I always thought I was missing something...

9) There are a ton of people who are just as obsessed about watches as I am (if not more so!). And while I choose/buy my pieces to satisfy my own cravings, it's nice to know that there are at least 164,388 WUS members who understand where I'm coming from =)
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

Great thread. It makes me appreciate the WUS environment.

Things I have learned, not as a member, but as a moderator:

• Most folks lurk and don't post... wish more posted but it's a free environment.
    • 99.9% of the members are great folks. Aside from nubie mistakes, most of the problems come from very few.
    • There are too few women posting. Women provide a humanizing influence and their presence tends to keep the 'boy' in many of us in-line.
    • Few appreciate how much time moderators spend keeping WUS an informative, family friendly site. Left to their own, forums deteriorate and drive out friendly folks. Moderation is a 24x7 task.
    • Interest in collectable watches is increasing. Cell phones have not killed the industry.
    • Forums have their own culture and they are often very different.
    • The Mod Squad is a great crew (we have our own discussion forum for moderating issues) and quickly become real friends. When traveling we meet up when we can.
    • Ernie Romers is a wonderful benign despot. His personality can be seen in the differences between WUS and other watch forums.
    • WUS is constantly evolving. The differences between now and when I joined are greater than I first thought.
    • WUS is too big to enjoy each corner and still have a real life.
    • Moderating is more diplomacy than knowledge or power. A turn of phrase is often more important than a big stick.
    • Emoticons are under-rated Without being able to see a speaker, folks often misinterpret what is really being said.
    • Good members are the backbone of a forum and are attracted by other good members.
    • Nubies are your friend. They provide our growth and chance to pass on knowledge.
    Last edited by Eeeb; December 26th, 2012 at 10:40.
    camb66, Ottovonn, alien1 and 1 others like this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information