Yet another AD salesperson rant...what would you do?
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Yet another AD salesperson rant...what would you do?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

This weekend I went into the city roaming around all the nicest watch ADs in the area. I tried on a few nice watches that I am considering for the next purchase. Now we had the plenty of uninformed sales people threads before and the argument always goes after 20 plus pages "well they don't get paid enough to be an expert" to criticizing them to "they should be fired" this rant isn't about that. I am leaving out brand names as its not the point. I just want to know what YOU would say if this is the situation you were in. You walk into an AD wearing a watch you love. You are looking at a few different watches and finally see something you are interested in. The salesperson pulls out the watch you want to see. You take off the watch you are wearing and place it on the counter to slip on the new watch. As you are examining the new watch the salesperson picks up your watch (without permission) and says "ohhh, yeah... this will be a nice upgrade to what you have now" meanwhile the watch you wore into the store is double the price with twice the history and prestige of the brand you are looking at but they have no idea. Hey, its OK if they have no idea but should they say "this will be a nice upgrade to what you have now." ??? Even if it wasn't more valuable, does that matter? What if that watch was 20 dollars but was handed down to you by a relative you cared about and it means the world to you? How would you react to this? I didn't say anything except, "oh thats what you think, ok" and took her business card and said I will think about it. Next stop was a trash can where it met her business card down the street.
    lastshotkid and thumos like this.
    -JP

Re: Yet another AD salesperson rant...what would you do?

Slide that business card across the counter right back at her while saying "I won't need this."

I say this all macho and stuff, but it all depends on how their "salesmanship" is delivered. If it's done in ignorance, I just politely ignore.

If she was pretty (and the wife was not around) I would probably enjoy the flirting and nice smile, then go on about my day.
    Last edited by Cannonball; October 20th, 2014 at 02:13.
    Der Amf, JPfeuffer, RickF. and 6 others like this.

Inactive

I've got nothing. I'd expect at least basic knowledge.
    JPfeuffer and lastshotkid like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

Some variant of, oh I won't be getting rid of this: I'm not a one-watch-guy, followed by a meaningful look
    JPfeuffer and Ahriman4891 like this.

I'd say nothing. It's a blunder on her part. She'll learn. All I want from sales associates is a good price :p
    JPfeuffer and Rashid like this.

I just think that's plain rude, they should either complement the watch or say nothing at all about it. I have a good idea of the brands you're talking about though. ;)
    JPfeuffer, Popoki Nui and thumos like this.

I would be more upset about her handling my watch without asking. That was much ruder than the comment. The comment was just crappy salesmanship on her part and as a consequence she lost a potential commission. Either she will learn you don't insult your customers or will be looking for a new job.
    JPfeuffer, Kluber and thumos like this.
    OCEAN, n. A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man — who has no gills.

CERBERUS, n. The watch-dog of Hades, whose duty it was to guard the entrance — against whom or what does not clearly appear; everybody, sooner or later, had to go there, and nobody wanted to carry off the entrance. Cerberus is known to have had three heads, and some of the poets have credited him with as many as a hundred. Professor Graybill, whose clerky erudition and profound knowledge of Greek give his opinion great weight, has averaged all the estimates, and makes the number twenty-seven — a judgment that would be entirely conclusive is Professor Graybill had known (a) something about dogs, and (b) something about arithmetic.

I just over look such things....No different than someone on the forum asks for advice , then doesn't do as I suggested.....
    The longer I live, the more I find the world is full of ignorant people......Soooo many more than I ever imagined.....
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

her: "this will be a nice upgrade to what you have now."
    me: "how?"

Quote Originally Posted by Au Hasard Balthazar View Post
    I would be more upset about her handling my watch without asking. .
    I agree with this. I wouldn't really care what she thought of my watch although it would influence my opinion on her knowledge of watches. But I wouldnt be happy with any AD nonchalantly picking up my watch (or frankly anything) without asking.
    Last edited by Kluber; October 19th, 2014 at 23:24.
    JPfeuffer, adi4 and Ahriman4891 like this.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information