Yet another "help me decide" thread

View Poll Results: Which Longines would you choose?

Voters
26. This poll is closed
  • The world time model with L635 based on ETA 2824/2 (L2.631.4.70.3)

5 19.23%
  • The automatic chrono with L651 based on ETA 2894/2 (L2.669.4.78.6)

13 50.00%
  • Buy something else

8 30.77%

Thread: Yet another "help me decide" thread

Yet another "help me decide" thread

I've already gotten my grail watch Omega Speedmaster Day-Date equipped with a modified ETA 7751 (Omega calibre 3606, COSC certified) and am looking to get something different movement-wise. I'm very much interested in the Longines Master Collection watches L2.631.4.70.3 and L2.669.4.78.6 which use the L635 based on ETA 2824/2 and L651 based on ETA 2894/2.

Anyone here know which movement is better, more reliable, durable? Does Longines make adjustments to these or use stock ETA models? If you had to choose between these two considering their movement and looks, which would you choose?

This with L651 based on ETA 2894-2...

or this with L635 based on ETA 2824-2

v76

Re: Yet another "help me decide" thread

Apples and oranges - it's almost impossible to compare a modular chrono (2894-2) with a three hand auto (2824). The L635/2824 isn't a true GMT movement (like the 2893), and I prefer integrated chrono movements to modular ones, so I'd choose neither. But, I'd say the L635 is potentially more reliable by virtue of lesser number of moving parts. If you're keen on a Longines chrono, I'd recommend something with a 7750 base movement, else wait for their new column wheel chrono to come out.
    Last edited by v76; April 15th, 2010 at 19:23.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

While I agree that these two watches are very different they are still both Longines.

I really like the World Time of the 2.

But you need to decide whether you want a Chrono or a 3 hand watch.
    Last edited by Lemaniac40; April 15th, 2010 at 19:43.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Didn't know about the modular vs intergrated chrono. Thanks for pointing that out, v76. My criteria was simply a 40mm face or less (due to my wrist size), I wanted a Longines because I think they're very underrated and a true value and I think both watches look beautiful. v76, one of the reasons it came down to these two is exactly because there's no 7750 movement. That's why I mentioned I already have an Omega Speedy triple date and didn't want 2 watches with same movement. I know it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison but I'm still asking whether you'd purchase the apple or orange knowing full well they're very dissimilar.

v76

This is my favorite Longines in their current lineup -

The Conquest Heritage L1.645.4.75.4 at 40 mm case dia., should be just right for your wrists ... well, I like the design a lot (replica of a '50s Conquest) - not sure you do. It has an L633 movement (ETA 2824-2), no GMT functionality, though.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

I like the Longines Master Collection, but the one I'd go for would be the Retrograde model:

Current Collection (reverse order of acquisition):
    BREITLING Galactic 41|PROMETHEUS Poseidon|BULOVA Moonwatch|SEIKO Tuna SBBN033|BREITLING SO Abyss|SEIKO Pepsi Turtle-X|GRUPPO GAMMA Vanguard|OMEGA PO 8500|ORIS BC4-DM|JEANRICHARD Terrascope|JEANRICHARD Aeroscope|PERPETUAL T-04|BENARUS Moray Vintage|PANERAI 560|LONGINES Heritage 1973|SWATCH Sistem 51|TUDOR Black Bay|BENARUS Moray 42|Ocean7 LM-7PVD|STOWA Antea KS|SEIKO GS SBGR051|G-Shock GS1050B|G-Shock GW7900RD-4|SEIKO SDGA001 EPD|PANERAI 312|BALL EMII DLC|BREITLING Airwolf (circa 2009)|BATHYS HAWAII AquaCulture Rose Ti|SEIKO Ananta SD GMT|BREITLING SuperOcean(circa 2007)|G-Shock Riseman|SEA-GULL M185SP|ORIS F1 Chrono '08

Ahhh...the retrograde. Amazing piece. The movement is custom designed by ETA exclusively for Longines, great for those who are picky about in-house movements. However, for the price of it, I could buy both the watches I listed above

UJU

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    This is my favorite Longines in their current lineup -

The Conquest Heritage L1.645.4.75.4 at 40 mm case dia., should be just right for your wrists ... well, I like the design a lot (replica of a '50s Conquest) - not sure you do. It has an L633 movement (ETA 2824-2), no GMT functionality, though.
    +1
    That is a piece I've had my eyes on for some time now.
    It also comes with a black dial. Decisions, decisions....

Oh, and I woted for the chrono.
    The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon. -Sun Tzu

If you do not already have a watch with a world timer function then I would definitely go for the L635. IMO tracking 24 timezones simultaneously is a very cool function and much more useful than a typical GMT watch. The blued hands and dark/light sections in the 24h wheel are very attractive.

You've already got a chronograph (different movement, yes, but in terms of functionality...) so I would mix it up.

Thread Information