25 92.59%
  • GShock GW7900B-1

0 0%
  • Other, please specify

2 7.41%

Thread: Yet another help me decide thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yet another help me decide thread

Sparing any unneccesary details I believe I have my next purchase fairly narrowed down to two watching, unless something pops up in this thread that makes me add a 3rd or 4th to the list which is highly possible.

I am debating between the Seiko SKX007k:

Name:  623735d1328923164-skx007k-seaurchin-img-skx007k1-2.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  43.8 KB

and the Casio G-Shock Rescue GW7900B-1 which I would pair with a slide on compass:
    Name:  New-Stealthy-Black-GW-7900B-1JF-GShock-Spotted-Casio-Mens-Watch.jpg
Views: 1861
Size:  46.0 KB

The 7900 has been on my list for a while because I have wanted a military looking watch aesthetically speaking and this fit the bill... all black with the negative display for a stealthy look, the moon and tide phases add to it and with a compass on the strap would complete the look. That and I love my current G-Shock and the ability to beat the crap out of it.

That said I wasnt fully sold and have heard of issues with the four bolts/screws coming out. I poured through some other threads and made one looking for opinions on other watches to fit my military looking needs which is where the Seiko came in. Being a true dive watch and a staple in many collections with the timeless look it makes sense, however here I am worried about durability partially because I have never owned a Seiko and also because compared to a G-Shock it is hard to match up in this department.

So, keeping in mind my budget of $150-ish out the door these two look to be the best options on the market and with that which would you recommend? Or, based on what I said I am looking for, what would you recommend I look at?

For those basing their input on which would help round out my collection here is what I've got so far:
    Name:  IMG_20120210_223003.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  149.2 KB

ps. I am writing this one handed while bouncing my 1 month old to sleep (or attempting to) so please forgive any typos.
    Last edited by SwedishElite22; February 11th, 2012 at 07:03.
    Ω SMP 300M 2220.80 • Hamilton H78465553 • Helm Vanuatu 01AR1 • Laco Aachen • Vintage Seiko 5 6309-8239 • G-Shock GW7900B-1 • G-Shock MTG900 • DTW LE Chrono

True Grail : A. Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk

Re: Yet another help me decide thread

If you are just going for a military look, I'd go with the Seiko. Partly because I can't seem to get into the G-Shock as a fashion statement. Now, if you are looking for the watch that is going to be more tactical, G-Shock it is...less opportunity for crystal glare and case shine. A wrist rocket should fit on either watch, and you could do a NATO strap change on that Seiko and add the wrist rocket. That would complete the military look. Good Luck!

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

Go with the Seiko- you already have a G Shock!
    Regards Cam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hard to go wrong with the Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by por44 View Post
    Hard to go wrong with the Seiko
    +1

It is a diver that can compete with any. And it has very good lume.

I wouldn't worry about the screws coming out of the Casio or the Seiko not being durable.

If you're primarily looking for a mostly black, sporty watch, either one works. Which would you get the most use out of? Digital, quartz, multi-function with a plastic strap or a plainer, classic automatic that could be put on a bracelet or an assortment of Natos? This, of course, depends on your lifestyle, activities, and wardrobe and what not.

I'd go with the Seiko and get some colorful Natos for it and flash my bling everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by camb66 View Post
    Go with the Seiko- you already have a G Shock!
    Yep

seiko would be my choice.you can change straps to alter the look and it would fit into your collection better than another g shock.imho

I think it's hard to go wrong with either. I have a SKX009, and a red and black G Rescue.
    I would swap out the bracelet/strap on both. The Seiko can go on leather or an aftermarket bracelet an the G can go on a Zulu with the adapters.
    The Seiko is more versatile for an everyday watch, while the G is great for more casual, rugged days.
    Good luck with your choice.

Sent via messenger pigeon.
    Last edited by fastward; February 11th, 2012 at 16:40.

The question should not be which one to GET, but rather, which one to get FIRST.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information