Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By LordBrettSinclair
  • 1 Post By MrCairo
  • 1 Post By LordBrettSinclair
  • 2 Post By Bradjhomes
  • 2 Post By MediumRB
  • 1 Post By pickle puss
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike

Thread: Are You Visiting Baselworld 2018?

Are You Visiting Baselworld 2018?

I visited last year as part of a trip around Europe and the UK.

I was disappointed that companies like BVLGARI wouldn't let me in their showcase office - I didn't have an appointment and obviously didn't look like a monied individual - but I didn't get a look in with the exception of a few watches in their publicly displayed showcase.

When my wife and I, dressed in neat casual gear, went to walk into the CASIO showcase display, a very young lady said, "Sir, I'm sorry, you can't go in there."

Suddenly, a tall German man arrived and after a short chat, gave us a guided tour of the display showing us all the new CASIO watches. At the end of the display, he had his barman make us a drink of our choice with a few sandwiches and then we left to look at the massive collection of watch bling. We were very appreciative. Later, at Keil in Germany I bought a CASIO Edifice Link watch. I would have loved a MR-G, but it was out of my price range (or more importantly, the amount my wife will allow me to spend!).

The moral to this long-winded story is that if you are going to Baselworld 2018, make sure you arrange appointments with your favourite firms first, and if necessary.

Re: Are You Visiting Baselworld 2018?

I would love to go to Baselworld, but I am not, although I am extremely keen to see what Watches will catch my attention this year.

SIHH has already impressed me with a couple of nice Watches.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

I wouldn't go to Baselworld if you paid me. I love watches with a fiery passion, but loathe the vapid luxury / lifestyle culture that surrounds them. Over-groomed dandies in silly trousers, prancing about drinking cocktails while they try to persuade me some effete sparkly wrist-trinket is worth fifty thousand euros? BVlgari? More like Vulgari.

Then there's Switzerland itself, a country best driven through (don't stop, or they'll charge you for breathing their air).

No wonder sensible brands are avoiding the place like the plague. Manly man-men (like me) do not attend such carnivals of frippery. We sit in our dressing gowns perusing Chrono24, before going to a pub to drink beer and show our watches to our friends.

I am also available for weddings, funerals and bah-mitzvahs.
    MrCairo, MediumRB and timseren like this.
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tip I’d like to go but didn’t know you have to book your visit at each manufacturer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LordBrettSinclair View Post
    I wouldn't go to Baselworld if you paid me. I love watches with a fiery passion, but loathe the vapid luxury / lifestyle culture that surrounds them. Over-groomed dandies in silly trousers, prancing about drinking cocktails while they try to persuade me some effete sparkly wrist-trinket is worth fifty thousand euros? BVlgari? More like Vulgari.

Then there's Switzerland itself, a country best driven through (don't stop, or they'll charge you for breathing their air).

No wonder sensible brands are avoiding the place like the plague. Manly man-men (like me) do not attend such carnivals of frippery. We sit in our dressing gowns perusing Chrono24, before going to a pub to drink beer and show our watches to our friends.

I would have thought Your Lordship would not miss the chance to take out the BS-1 and drive through Switzerland - albeit in sensible trousers, of course - to prance about cocktail sipping mademoiselles with headbands and mini skirts (if not for the watches). Perhaps you'd run into Mr. Wilde while at it!
    LordBrettSinclair likes this.
    I raise my hand and touch the wheel of change
    taking time to check the dial

The last time I went to Switzerland I had to rescue a bunch of silly girls from a mountaintop finishing school run by a dodgy Belgian. I traded in the BS-1 a few years back. I drove past Montreaux the week before last, all it has going for it is the fact it isn't Geneva. Give me Lake Leman any day of the week, at least the French know how to enjoy the water.
    MrCairo likes this.
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by LordBrettSinclair View Post

I wasn't planning to go, but the promise of silly trousers and cocktails has me second guessing myself.
    Last edited by Bradjhomes; February 28th, 2018 at 13:11.
    LordBrettSinclair and MrCairo like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

I prefer letting the "professionals" do that kind of conventioneering for me. But an opportunity to wear silly trousers and a cravat without irony is enticing.
    LordBrettSinclair and MrCairo like this.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

I was going to take a couple weeks off and sell a bunch of watches so I could afford the airfare and lodging but Basel is soooo 2004.
    LordBrettSinclair likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Flight already booked in Dec 2017.
    MediumRB likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thread Information