Are you wearing a dead person's watch?

Thread: Are you wearing a dead person's watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are you wearing a dead person's watch?

My friend saw me wearing my vintage Omega Seamaster that I just got. Our conversation went similarly like this:

Him (joking): Nice vintage Omega, but are you sure it didn't come from someone who died?
    Me: Haha, very funny, I'm not sure it would matter.
    Him: Would you wear dead peoples' clothes?
    Me: No.
    Him: But you would wear a dead person's watch?
    Me: If I can buy it for cheap enough!
    Him (joking): You better watch out, it might be haunted or cursed! If it starts floating in thin air or starts bleeding, who you gonna call?
    Me: *laughs*

So I ask you all, would you care if your used/vintage watches possibly came from a dead person? In other words, a watch that was on the owner when he died, and then sold to you. I mean, most of us wouldn't wear dead peoples' clothes, right? Even though my friend was joking, I thought it was an interesting point. I'm not that superstitious, but a lot of cultures believe it's bad luck to own something from a dead person without them explicitly giving you rightful ownership. Luckily my Seamaster came from an original owner who's still alive . Also, like I said, as long as I can get it cheap enough I don't think I would care, just as long as it wasn't stolen from the dead person.

Re: Are you wearing a dead person's watch?

If grave robbing weren't a crime... j/k. Those who transcend beyond the physical matter have no need for time pieces made of worldly materials. I on the other hand can still appreciate and drool over them. I have no problem owning a dead person's anything, except maybe bodily fluids.

I'm pretty sure I've got watches and wear watches of dead people. I doubt that the original owners of the watches I've got from the 50s and 60s are still alive. This is especially true of the retirement award watches.

Doesn't bother me one bit. If they were stolen from graves, I'd probably be bothered, but otherwise, I expect just like when I die, most if not all my watches will be sold, hopefully to other collectors so they will be cherished and live on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

When you buy something with your hard earned money, it's yours. It can happen that you buy a house or a car from owners who passed away for whatever reason, it's the same for watches

How can we know if a watch is haunted ? Does it run counter-clockwise at midnight and the dates flip backward ?
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Obviously the watch I inherited from my father belonged to a person who is now dead, otherwise I wouldn't have it. He actually purchased it from the widow of the original owner. So my 36mm DJ has had 3 owners and the first two died. OMG, a cursed watch! I will probably die someday as well!

My other vintage Rolex came from an estate, so that original owner is dead also.

Jeannie

Quote Originally Posted by Ray916MN View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've got watches and wear watches of dead people. I doubt that the original owners of the watches I've got from the 50s and 60s are still alive. This is especially true of the retirement award watches.

Doesn't bother me one bit. If they were stolen from graves, I'd probably be bothered, but otherwise, I expect just like when I die, most if not all my watches will be sold, hopefully to other collectors so they will be cherished and live on.
    +1. I have my dad's Tudor, my mom's Birks, and they're both passed. I'm certain many of my vintage pieces belonged to people who have passed. I'm also pretty certain that they probably had more pressing things on their minds at the time than their watches' future, but I like to think that I'm doing the owner some sort
    of small honour by enjoying the watch while I own it. Otherwise, I rarely give the subject a second thought.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

I've got grandfathers watches. One died in 1935 the other in 1966. I also have a Hampden made in 1883. I'm pretty sure its original owner is dead. What's the difference? People buy antiques and estate jewelry all the time.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Some of us might actually kill for the right watch.

Quote Originally Posted by In_Front View Post
    Him (joking): You better watch out, it might be haunted or cursed! If it starts floating in thin air or starts bleeding, who you gonna call?

GHOSTBUSTERS!! lol

Do they deal with haunted watches???

I've got a few reasonably old watches, and the likelyhood is the original owner has passed, but it's the same with everything.........your house, car, old furniture, antiques.....all sorts of things could have been owned by someone who's passed!!

I've got my late Fathers Royal Navy service medals, but I don't see him floating around the place!!

I guess some old items, inc watches 'may' have bad karma..........my other half has an old watch she likes, but says she always loses at tennis when she wears it, so she's now wondering about if that's possible...............I'd probably put it down to poor shot selection and tactics on the day, but hey, that's my job

Banned

Every one of us has a terminal disease. It's called life - nobody gets out alive! If any of my vintage watches are haunted the ghosts are quiet roommates.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information