Young people arenīt quite as watch-averse...some observation from a 26y/o woman
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Young people arenīt quite as watch-averse...some observation from a 26y/o woman

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Young people arenīt quite as watch-averse...some observation from a 26y/o woman

Hello,

some of you might have seen my thread about Cartier Ballon Bleu with diamonds as I will likely buy it soon (in fact I have already decided and my parents finally approved my choice). Whilst this is of course a rather expensive watch, I have begun to observe my environment a few months ago since I got into the fascinating world of watches. Here are some things I can state. For your information: I am 26 years old, a female student from France currently studying at a well-respected University in Germany (sorry in case my posts arenīt orthographically perfect).

- Most of my fellow students in fact do wear watches, in their free time as well as during lectures. I would estimate that 70-80% wear a watch.
    - Most of these watches are indeed "affordable" brands and fashion brands and people donīt know about their watch. They are mostly interested in how it looks and whether it fits their clothing style.
    - The trend has gone to more "complications" (or what looks like it) and bling-bling and, of course, larger watches. Especially amongst female students. I have seen a lot of swatches, Michael Kors (is it spelled like that?!), you name it. But still - the DO wear watches!
    - Whilst my closer friends might not be representative (I confess that most of them come from an at least wealthy and well-educated background; not because this is important to me but because it just happened), here are some watches and friends that are all in their early to end 20s and are very interested in watches:
    • One female friend of mine who wears an old mechanic watch. It isnīt an expensive brand (at least I donīt recognise it), but yesterday I shortly mentioned that I am thinking about buying a JLC. I added: "You probably havenīt heard of it, but thatīs okay, it is not very popular in general." To my surprise, she became enthusiastic, saying her dad is an engineer and did tell her once that this is a watch manufacturer that has invented some of the most complicated and refined movements. I was intrigued!! We continued to speak about watches one hour. :)
    • One good friend who has attended the most expensive school in Switzerland (some people might know about it) has an Audemars Piguet. He is only 25, but has already started his own business very successfully and works very hard. So I am happy for him!
    • One fellow student in his late 20s who is doing his PhD currently has a simple Rolex Oyster Perpetual. He didnīt show off, I just noticed it during some group work where he sat besides me.

Whilst I know that these people are the exception, I just wanted to let you guys know that there IS in fact hope for the older WIS people who fear that watches arenīt appreciated any longer by the younger crowd.
    Of course there are a lot of people who donīt care at all and have this "Why do I need a watch if I have my cell phone" attitude that can be quite annoying. But you do have these people amongst the older folks as well. In fact, my parents are quite ignorant about watches. They do appreciate a nice wine and visit the theatre, but they donīt normally wear watches. They own some Maurice Lacroix but i have never seen them wearing them a lot.

And one really horrible story to conclude this as lighthearted as it began: My father inherited an IWC back when he was 23. He and my mother, back then a fresh and happy young couple, went camping. My father took the IWC with him; he didnīt understand how valuable it might have been at all. Whilst they were out for swimming, he left the watch in their tent(!!!). On the first day, it was stolen. His parents were very angry.

All the best,
    Ballon

Re: Young people arenīt quite as watch-averse...some observation from a 26y/o woman

Sorry, I just noticed some mistakes myself, for example:
    here are some watches and friends that are all in their early to end 20s and are very interested in watches
    -> Can one edit their own post later? I didnīt notice such a feature yet.

Also, just as I noticed that could lead to confusion as well: I mentioned above that I will buy/get a Cartier Ballon Bleu and later added that I talked to a friend about wanting a JLC. This isnīt a contradiction as can be seen in my thread about the Cartier. Itīs just that JLC is the brand I love the most and I would love to own one one day; so I thought about getting a Cartier from the grey market or slightly used and for the money saved buying a vintage JLC from the 90s or something until I can afford a new one.

Re: Young people arenīt quite as watch-averse...some observation from a 26y/o woman

I do feel Europeans, East Asians, and people from the Middle East tend to wear watches more than those on this side of the pond. Those that are better off such as those in graduate programs are also more likely to wear watches. But in general, less and less people are wearing mechanical watches (which I think is the biggest gripe here) and even quartz watches are becoming a bit less common with the Fitbit and smartwatches encroaching on their territory, to say nothing of the trend of 3-4 bracelets.

Personally I don't mind too much that my generation doesn't appreciate mechanical watches. While I don't go out of my way to be different, I'm not sure how happy I would be if something I enjoyed felt like I was just jumping on the bandwagon.

As an aside, you can get Lady Reversos relatively cheap on the grey market.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would tend to agree a bit more with sleepyhead123, working frequently with students in the 18-~25 age range.

Some do prefer to wear a watch. Many, probably most, do not. Those who do, often do it to define their "tribe". In the past, everyone or virtually everyone wore a watch and the kind of watch they wore defined their "tribe" and/or was just a thing they had because they needed to know the time (the default casio/timex type choices.)

Unfortunately, many are in the tribe of "Apple watch" wearers...

It's very tied to local culture.
    Last edited by OvrSteer; October 17th, 2017 at 18:19.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Banned

My young bartender just got an Apple. 2 weeks later she returned it for the newest release. She likes it, wears it at work, and I hope to see the new one tonight. I'll have to ask her what her bf wears. He's a cop.
    Last edited by priamo; October 17th, 2017 at 19:56.

Your dad clearly wasn’t brought up in my part of the world or he would never have left his watch in the tent in the first place.

As an adult I would be very uncomfortable accepting gifts like that from my parents.

Your observations seem pretty accurate, but for my college I have noticed that maybe 30-40% would wear a watch.
    Usually between a G-Shock, Apple Watch, or a fashion brand.
    The coolest watch I saw someone wear one time was a Tissot PRS516.

There is indeed a slight boom in watch demand for the younger generation and I think it is thanks to Smart watches.
    One of the reasons I stumbled upon this site was to compare the price of an Apple Watch to what a mechanical watch would offer.
    There is most certainly hope that this hobby won't die out.
    Current Collection

| Rolex Date | Hamilton Khaki Mechanical | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Seiko 5 SNK809 | NTH Scorpčne | Melbourne Portsea | Halios Seaforth Series III |

Instagram: @confusedwristwatches

It may be a European thing. As a 26 year old living in California, I can say that the majority of people my age don't wear watches. The ones who do usually wear fashion watches or smartwatches, but I do see a fair number who have picked up WIS respected affordables because they read about them somewhere (E.G. Seiko divers, Tissot mechanicals, Bulova Precisionist). It's rare to see someone wearing an upscale luxury watch, but I have run into a few people my age who do.

Also, as much as I hate to admit it, the dreaded hipsters may be the biggest positive influence towards advancing the watch hobby for the next generation. I don't really hang with that crowd, but you'll see a fair number of younger people wearing nice watches in Silverlake and other notoriously hipster hotspots.

Quote Originally Posted by murokello View Post
    As an adult I would be very uncomfortable accepting gifts like that from my parents.
    Absolutely. Also my father, may he rest in peace, would just laugh if he had the inkling that I even thought he'd get me a present of anything above $20 or so. The idea of parents buying Audemars Piguet and such for a son/daughter is totally alien to me.
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information