WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Your advice for my next purchase? Omega, Rolex, etc. I'm stuck!

4K views 54 replies 35 participants last post by  cheshirecatiii 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. As stated in the title I'm looking for advice on my next watch purchase(s). I am relatively cash-flush after selling my entire previous collection (Hamilton, Longines, Invicta, Omega SMP) and am already anxious to get my hands on my next timepiece. The idea was to reset my collection to one or two nice timepieces instead of three cheap ones and one high"er" end one. So now comes the decision on what that next one or two might be.

All total I have between $6,000 and $7,000 that I can spend. Here are a few plans-of-action that I've thought out:

1. Omega Planet Ocean ($3k-4k pre-owned). I've always liked the PO and it would leave me room in my budget to buy another nice timepiece (I was thinking pre-owned Breitling). I thought about a Speedmaster instead of the PO, but as of now I'd really like to stay all-automatic.

2. Zenith. I love the design and exclusivity of the El Primero 42mm (~$4.7k pre-owned), but there are some issues with this idea. First, there is no Zenith AD within 300 miles of me, so I can't try it on. Second, I like to keep a rotating door on my collection, and the relatively-low market demand could make reselling difficult and costly compared to an Omega or Rolex.

3. Rolex Explorer II ($5.8-$6.1k pre-owned). What attracts me to this idea the most is the low depreciation and high market demand of the watch, and that it looks incredible. However this also would burn up all of the cash in my budget and I'm questioning if I really want just one watch, albeit an incredible one, and no cash leftover.

Have any advice for me? All replies are very much appreciated.

If you'd like to suggest a watch, or perhaps a pair of them, my qualifications would be:
  • 41mm+ case diameter
  • Healthy resale market
  • "Sporty" design. Divers, Chronographs, etc. I don't need a dress watch.
  • (Combined) value of less than $7000 pre-owned (I only buy pre-owned).

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#3 ·
hmmm... Never cared for planet ocean - too blingy and bulky. Explorer 2 is very understated - to a point of being boring and dull.
Zenith is nice, but why get preowned if can get new in GM for < $4K. But Zenith is a tough one for one-watch

I guess that doesn't help, but for what it's worth - try what you can on in person just to be safe.

Reactions: ColeG
#4 ·
I like #1. Having owned all of the ones you're considering, I'd think the PO and Breitling combo is hard to beat: two upper-midrange classics, which, if bought pre-owned, will owe you nothing if and when the time comes to move on.

And I absolutely love my PO, both on strap and bracelet.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#40 ·
I like like the three you listed, but I'd get the Explorer II. I may be slightly biased since I just bought one.
Yep, would be my vote as well.

Shame it doesnt have a three-pronged crown, eh?

Re the question about how Rolex is understated: most of their designs are low-key, non-blingy and non-ostentatious. Unless someone is looking closely at your wrist, they have no way of noticing whether or not it is a Rolex. So that whole "Rolex is showy" hype is entirely in people's heads (non-owners for the most part).

#7 ·
ExpII. In my opinion, it's the easiest to resell, as you note this is a consideration, and the most versatile of the three options. Office, weekends, vacations, etc. Seems like it would be a solid watch to have in a one watch collection. I like and own a PO 8500, but it's thick and not nearly as comfortable as my Sub. I also don't find it to be as well finished as a Rolex sport model. I like the Zenith, but I wouldn't want a leather strapped chronograph as my one and only.

#9 ·
Well it probably won't be my one and only for long, but maybe a few months.

hmmm... Never cared for planet ocean - too blingy and bulky. Explorer 2 is very understated - to a point of being boring and dull.
Zenith is nice, but why get preowned if can get new in GM for < $4K. But Zenith is a tough one for one-watch

I guess that doesn't help, but for what it's worth - try what you can on in person just to be safe.
Thanks for the opinion. But I'm curious, how is any Rolex understated?

#13 ·

Reactions: GreenManalishi
#18 ·
I would go with the Explorer II, but maybe the Polar. The white is stunning and is really unique compared to the black. If you want to go this route you could always look at 16570 instead of the larger newer model. 40mm could be more versatile and it would also be cheaper. Zenith is also great but the not having a local AD is a turn off. The PO is way to big and thick to wear with anything resembling dress clothes or formal setting IMO.

#19 ·
All the watches you have listed are extremely classy pieces and I would go for the Rolex in a heartbeat. However, they are all expensive watches and you must get the one that calls to you the most rather than the one you think will hold it's value the best.

#23 ·
I'd say explorer II polar. You get a Rolex, you get the value retention and the quality, but you also get a piece that isn't the most common, a little unique and a little more toolish than some of the others.

#25 ·
Hello everyone. As stated in the title I'm looking for advice on my next watch purchase(s). I am relatively cash-flush after selling my entire previous collection (Hamilton, Longines, Invicta, Omega SMP) and am already anxious to get my hands on my next timepiece. The idea was to reset my collection to one or two nice timepieces instead of three cheap ones and one high"er" end one. So now comes the decision on what that next one or two might be.

All total I have between $6,000 and $7,000 that I can spend. Here are a few plans-of-action that I've thought out:

1. Omega Planet Ocean ($3k-4k pre-owned). I've always liked the PO and it would leave me room in my budget to buy another nice timepiece (I was thinking pre-owned Breitling). I thought about a Speedmaster instead of the PO, but as of now I'd really like to stay all-automatic.

2. Zenith. I love the design and exclusivity of the El Primero 42mm (~$4.7k pre-owned), but there are some issues with this idea. First, there is no Zenith AD within 300 miles of me, so I can't try it on. Second, I like to keep a rotating door on my collection, and the relatively-low market demand could make reselling difficult and costly compared to an Omega or Rolex.

3. Rolex Explorer II ($5.8-$6.1k pre-owned). What attracts me to this idea the most is the low depreciation and high market demand of the watch, and that it looks incredible. However this also would burn up all of the cash in my budget and I'm questioning if I really want just one watch, albeit an incredible one, and no cash leftover.

Have any advice for me? All replies are very much appreciated.

If you'd like to suggest a watch, or perhaps a pair of them, my qualifications would be:
  • 41mm+ case diameter
  • Healthy resale market
  • "Sporty" design. Divers, Chronographs, etc. I don't need a dress watch.
  • (Combined) value of less than $7000 pre-owned (I only buy pre-owned).

View attachment 12374743 View attachment 12374737 View attachment 12374739
You can't go wrong with any of those, particularly the El Primero. But I'd also suggest the Tudor North Flag (slightly smaller at 40mm) or the Black Bay Steel (41mm).

Another great option is the Grand Seiko SBGA029, a fan favorite.

Edit: I should point out that the watch I wear most often myself these days is a North Flag.

#29 · (Edited)
I looked into Tudor and GS. Tudors are definitely nice and affordably priced, but I personally prefer Rolex and Omega's styling. Most GS's I liked are priced near the higher end of my budget. And for an only-watch collection, I'd rather have the explorer II. Thank you for the suggestions though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
I have not taken the time to read all of the responses but here' my reply:

You seem to like the PO and you put it first on your list. So go with that one.

The Zenith you said you can't try on so that one's out.

I think the Explorer is on the bottom edge of the correct size you say you want but I'd consider the Polar Explorer myself.
But I guess if you wanted a Polar you would have posted it instead of the black one.

Best of luck and I like the idea of paring down your collection and getting a few nice pieces.

#27 ·
I really have no preference on the Explorer's face color. It's more of whichever one is available at a better price at the time. Both look good, although the polar seems much more popular. And yes I was a little concerned about the explorer's size, but considering that it's one of, if not the, biggest affordable Rolex, I'm willing to cope with it should I choose to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
The Zenith tri-color El Primero should be an easy sell if you don't like it, no harder than an Omega or Rolex. There are Zenith watches that dont sell well, but among their line-up the tri-color is probably the easiest to flip.

If you like that look and design, buy it to try it, and flip it if you dont like it (especially since you are talking pre-owned) and get the others. Atleast this way you truly judge all watches in person rather than based off pictures and feedback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.