Your dress watch vs your best watch.
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Your dress watch vs your best watch.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Your dress watch vs your best watch.

The subject is as the title states, but I will break things down. Most people usually have around 1-3 top watches in their collection. But not everybody has one of their top watches as a dress watch. How many people have their dress watch as not being their top watch ( but a sports watch instead)? Now the main question is if you have an event to go to (most of us probably only have an event 1-4 times a year), do you wear your dress watch or your best watch? Most of the time the dress watch is saved for dressy occasions, but it is these same times we usually want to show off our top stuff. Its not a snob thing but we work hard and jewelry (which luxury watches kind of are) is a show of status that you have accomplished much (just like how women show off their jewelry or expnsive bags), you get the idea. So dress vs best, which do you wear?

Re: Your dress watch vs your best watch.

As with all things fashion, things are moving to a more casual approach, even in the office. No matter if it’s a casual Friday or suited and booted, I have zero need for a dress watch.

Realistically speaking, odds are nobody will even look at your wrist and if they do they probably won’t care.

If it helps one of the C-suite managers in my office rocks a Hulk on a daily basis even fully suited. There’s no rules to this game.

I'm a jeans and T shirt guy so "sport watches" get most of my wrist time, but when I need to wear a suit my dress watches are my first choice.

Then of course you need to define which is your "top watch", not always is the most expensive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think people should dress to please themselves. A gentleman is comfortable in his own skin, no matter what is wearing. Manners maketh man, not clothes. I find that wearing a big, flashy watch at a more formal event does not please me. To me, it draws attention to myself in a way I don't like. I prefer to project an image of a well-dressed, well-mannered man comfortable enough to choose to adhere to societal norms of proper dress. That precludes wearing a big sports watch to an event that is more formal.

Whichever you choose, wear it for yourself, not for others. If you like wearing your top watch, then do it and don't worry about what others think. Fewer people than watch enthusiasts think are actually noticing what watch you are wearing on your wrist. There isn't going to be a scandal on the society page in the newspaper if you wear a sports watch to an event that would normally see a man wearing a dress watch. No one is going to give you the stink eye or whisper about your choice of watch. Wear what you like and own it - your attitude about what you are doing will be all that matters. Be comfortable and project that ease. To me, that's the appropriate way to decide what to wear.

Or you could say "Ok, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"! :D
    anaplian likes this.

My most expensive watch is not my dress watch. When dressing up, I wear my dress watch, otherwise I wouldn't own a dress watch.
    MediumRB likes this.

I have a Stowa Antea that I consider my "dress watch," but I still usually wear my Black Bay or Speedmaster with a suit.

Rolex Submariner 114060 • Stowa Antea KS • Seiko SKX007

My top favorites are mostly dress pieces and they are not the most expensive in my collection (I'm an affordables guy).

I gravitate towards dressy or casual dress pieces because I prefer cleaner, simple lines, which is often reflected in the way I dress. It is easier for me to dress down a dress piece than to dress up a sporty piece.

Just as I choose not to wear sneakers with dress suits or to certain events, I choose to not wear certain types of watches certain events.
    I do not have a watch collection - I have an accumulation of watches

Quote Originally Posted by Rakumi View Post
    Most of the time the dress watch is saved for dressy occasions, but it is these same times we usually want to show off our top stuff.
    This is why I'd hesitate to buy an expensive luxury tool watch when a much-less-expensive discreet dressy watch works better with the outfit I'd be wearing.

Say I get a solar quartz Seiko, gold-toned with Roman numerals and a leather strap, and need to choose between it and, say, a carbon fiber Hublot tourbillon.

The Hublot would be the "top" watch between the two, in a much higher price tier and much more indicative of my accomplishments (at least, financial accomplishments, anyway). But is it really a dress watch? No, not at all, at least not by my definition.

In my current stash, my most expensive watch can dress up nicely, while my more traditionally-sized, lower-profile watch has more brand prestige but isn't nearly as expensive (even when counting for inflation since it was bought in 1968).

One one hand, then, I'd want to save up and make my dressy watch also my "top" watch, as you'd say. JLC Moonphase, a new style Rolex Cellini, a gold Tank, or something like those -- they'd be great to cap off my collection and park alongside my cufflinks and tuxedo studs.

On the OTHER hand, I don't want to spend the most money on a watch I'd wear the least. At my current pace, it would be like paying a thousand bucks per event to wear it for the next five years.

But would a Cartier put a little extra spring in my step that a Seiko wouldn't? Yeah, it would.

My dress watch is a jlc reverso . It?s my best watch
    bigclive2011 and Xspect like this.

My most dressy is a Stowa Antea KS41 on Black alligator strap. I'll wear this with suits and black shoes/belt. For dressy with brown shoes/belt it's the Stowa MO on brown ostrich leg. If I can't decide, it's a silver dial Rolex datejust 41.

My most expensive is the Rolex DSSD on a rubber b. I only wear this with short sleeves which I wear a lot being in Las Vegas.

I don't think it matters, or anyone notices. It does give me a reason(or excuse?) to have more watches.
    Rolex Datejust II, and Submariner SS no-date; Panerai 000, 328, 352, 1024; IWC 3777; Zenith El Primero; Seiko PADI Turtle and 007

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information