Your first mechanical?
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Your first mechanical?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Picture Your first mechanical…

So, I’ve finally done it.
    After a lifetime of quartz I’ve bought my first mechanical (or rather my wife has bought it for me for our anniversary)
    A Speedbird 3 from Timefactors in Britain.
    Name:  Speedbird_3b.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  59.1 KB

What I like about this watch:
    • It’s mechanical – no electromagnetism just old fashioned mechanics using old fashioned (ish) techniques. All my other watches are more accurate than it, but this is the one I must nurture and care for
    • It’s automatic – this will be my everyday watch. Automatic must be worn to wind, and this one will be.
    • The second hand sweep – no quartz stepping action, just a graceful dance around the arc.
    • The clear, uncluttered dial – no unnecessary markings, no logo, no sub-dials or bezels I’ll rarely use. A subtle date window at 6 o’clock with matching dark background for the date dial.
      Just the essential markings to allow someone to tell the time and date, at a glance with minimum fuss. Again, ideal for an everyday watch.
    • The design – inspired by a classic IWC; in the aviator style being presentable enough for the office but rugged enough for the outdoors.
    • The build quality – nicely cut and brushed stainless steel case, screw down back and crown, great Faraday cage, sapphire crystal, nice matt black/charcoal grey dial, precise digits and indices, carefully applied lume, well executed hands, superb bracelet that really suits the watch.
    • The movement – The classic, robust, widely maintainable ETA 2824-2 perfect for an everyday automatic, but with the added warm fuzzy feeling of it being top grade. Maybe as good as any of those really expensive watches not using in-house movements.
    • It’s European – designed and assembled in Britain, the case machined in Germany and the movement ‘Swiss made’.
    • It’s cheaper than an IWC MarkXV – outstanding value for money from Timefactors. Not afraid to wear it everyday.
    • It’s from my wife (ahhhh, how sweet )

One thing is becoming clear… I think I like mechanicals… Luckily, now I’ve bought one I won’t need another one, right?

But enough about me… what about you…
    Please share your first mechanical. What was it? Have you still got it? Pictures?
    Last edited by Apollo83; September 19th, 2013 at 14:40. Reason: removed duplicate image
    wschofield3, Perdendosi and gmacln like this.

Re: Your first mechanical…

Name:  e4y3egan.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  179.2 KB

Still got it, still love it.
    Last edited by geoffbot; September 19th, 2013 at 14:51.
    Apollo83, R.Palace, Raza and 4 others like this.

Congrats.....Now you don't have to worry as much,about wrist cancer, from the electro-magnetic field of a quartz.

J/K ?
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Steinhart Ocean One. No longer have it but it lead me down this rabbit hole.
    Last edited by mew88; September 19th, 2013 at 15:12.
    Apollo83 likes this.

A Memphis Belle Spirit Predator

Name:  115-188-thickbox.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  41.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Name:  e4y3egan.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  179.2 KB

Still got it, still love it.
    Ditto for first mechanical.

Nice looking speedbird.

My very first mechanical was a 1950's Lone Ranger watch non-jeweled kids watch probably made by Ingersoll. Things got handed down in my family so I think my brother still has it. When I got into collecting wrist watches around 2000 this was one of my first purchases. A 1950's Sandoz hand wind that is on a Rios ostrich strap.

Name:  sandoz.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  55.9 KB
    Last edited by John MS; September 19th, 2013 at 15:51.
    Apollo83, bracky1 and complicated_ like this.

Congrats on your new watch! My first mechanical was a Timex given to me by my parents for Christmas when I was about 10. But that was before the dinosaurs were extinct. More recently, I bought this Seiko a year or two before I joined WUS. It's long gone.

My first mechanical was.......well........invicta pro diver. *hides in a corner*
    Apollo83, geoffbot and RBrylawski like this.

My first mechanical watch, and my one-way ticket to this madness, was the IWC Pilot Chronograph, ref. 3717.
    It had a nice wrist presence and was dead-on accurate; we had good times together (lol).
    One day I dropped it on the tile floor and a scratch the size of Grand Canyon reared its ugly head every time I looked at the time. Heart-broken as I was, I sold it to fund an Orfina Porsche Design. And it took the pain away.
    So here's my gone-but-not-forgotten 3717.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information