Your most common public sighting, and your most memorable/rarest
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Your most common public sighting, and your most memorable/rarest

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Your most common public sighting, and your most memorable/rarest

Hey guys,

I was reading the thread about wether or not Speedmasters are a cliché, and how it divulged into people talking about different watches they've seen in person a lot, and it got me thinking...

1). What is the (WIS) watch that you see the most in the wild on the wrists of strangers. I said (WIS) just kinda meaning not like G-Shock or Timex (not that those aren't WIS watches, but you know what I mean)...

And

2). What is the most memorable experience you've had seeing a watch on the wrist of a stranger or unexpected person. It could be a conversation you had with its owner, an awkward moment of prolonged wrist starring or just the coolest watch you've ever seen "out there".

For me the answers are as follows:

1). Rolex Datejusts, and if you combine men's and women's it's a landslide victory.

Next would be Submariners, followed by SMPs

2). Mine was quite recently, I had returned to my PT's office after a prolonged hiatus for a knee injury that was acting up again, and one of the 2 PTs I see there was wearing a Bremont! A U2 if I remember correctly. He had worn a Breitling chrono every other time I'd seen him, which he said was a goft from his wife, so i didn't really assume he was a WIS, but I guess he wouldn't think I was either... He had gotten his Bremont between my last visit and then and when I recognized it we both knew! We usually talked about sports during my visits, but that day we spent the whole session discussing watch brands, news, and new models! It was pretty cool meeting a new WIS in person, he's actually a member on here too.

EDIT: I'll add that the rarest I've seen was probably a Patek 5227 at a high-end smoothie place. There are probably other interesting ones that I'm just not remembering.
    Last edited by Mr. Panerai; June 29th, 2013 at 00:52.
    jah likes this.

Re: Your most common public sighting, and your most memorable/rarest

1 - For me the most common would have to be Datejusts and Day-Dates - lots of lawyers and financial guys I work with wear them.

2 - Rarest would probably be an ALS Datograph a guy at the table beside me was wearing at a restaurant in Michigan last year. Every now and then I come across a JLC or a Patek, but I'm pretty sure that was the only ALS I've ever encountered outside of a watch store.

Most common in Sydney, in my experience, is the Omega SMP. Quartz and autos. See them everywhere.

Rarest was a black dial Daytona. I know, not that rare
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

SMPs and DateJust. Lots of Tissot divers and Longines dress watches. Only a few Subs.
    Last edited by lmcgbaj; June 28th, 2013 at 05:58.

Just like everyone else, Subs galore.

I ran into a sales guy with a rose gold Hublot Big Bang on a rubber strap once. That threw me for a loop. I talked with him about it and he told me his buddy suggested it to him while watch shopping in Vegas. Go figure

1) Subs
    2) memorable...older fellow wearing a DeVille chrono at a Five Guys in Tennessee. T-shirt, shorts, "senior" sneakers, and bam. Super nice guy but it caught me by surprise.
    Last edited by Intrinsic Factor; June 28th, 2013 at 17:41. Reason: location

When I travel Submariners are everywhere.

One of the flight attendants had a neat watch - turned out to be an Eterna Kon Tiki Worldtimer.
    Popoki Nui likes this.

I've only recently really started paying attention to what others are wearing and haven't spotted anything particularly special. What I have noticed is how few men wear watches anymore. I was at a big box store a few days ago and, by my very unscientific count, only about 25% of the guys I saw had on a watch.

1) About the same here: SMP's and DJ's, followed by Subs.
    2) Ok....this will probably be of little interest to most (except possibly Orient fans): I'm not sure why, but my model of King Diver seems incredibly rare. Google "Orient King Diver" and you'll get pages and pages of the more common models with internal bezels and colorful dials. I bought mine new in '77; one day many years later I actually ran into someone here in town wearing the exact same model, but with a slightly different bezel. He and some friends were just finishing a dive, and me and a friend were just starting one. Neither of us had ever seen our model King Diver on anyone else's wrist, ever, anywhere. I never have since, either. Then couple of years back, someone on a forum (possible WUS) posted the exact same model but with replacement hands.
    So, not as jaw-dropping as seeing a Voutilainen in the wild, but so far in the past 36 years, I've seen exactly two King Divers of this model:

~Sherry.
    Mr. Panerai likes this.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Panerai, Tag Heuer everywhere in LA. I see at least one almost every day.

Rarest sighting = Xetum I spotted on the wrist of a person at the airport.
    Current Arsenal:
    HMT Pilot | Casio G-Shock Riseman | Seiko SNZH57 | Baume et Mercier Capeland S Chronograph | Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
    Purchase free since: 4/1/15 (subject to change)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information