Your opinions please: BP FF, or JLC MCC2 and 42mm Seamaster PO?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Your opinions please: BP FF, or JLC MCC2 and 42mm Seamaster PO?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello enthusiasts...

i recently inquired here about where to best look for a new 50 fathoms with blue finque dial on sailcloth, but I'm doing a bit of a U-turn, and being drawn back to my previous grail watch, the JLC MCC2. There's something about it that just does it for me. I know it's entirely different in many ways to the FF, but it's really floating my boat again... The attention to detail and the depth of the dial are awe-inspiring, as is the pedigree of the movement, and what JLC stands for.

My question comes from my perhaps incorrect assertion that while the JLC movements are bomb-proof, the watch does seem slightly delicate in style, and will perhaps not wear the dings and dents of daily wear as gracefully as a diver. So, for FF money, I can get the MCC 2 and an Omega Seamaster PO 42mm (another highly coveted piece) as a more enduring daily wearer when at work or more likely to bang it around. I suspect wrist time would be about 50/50 between the two.

Good idea? Or, am I making a massive oversight in not getting the FF.

pjw

Re: Your opinions please: BP FF, or JLC MCC2 and 42mm Seamaster PO?

Get the BP then wait if necessary and get the JLC. They will still be relevant, fascinating and timeless in 20 years. PO a distant last imh...

I would get the FF over the two. With that said, I must confess that I do not like any of the JLC's Master Compressor watches. If you do decide to go with two watches instead of the FF, why would you choose two divers? Mix it up a bit. Get one sport and one dress/semi-dress watch. Something like an Omega PO and a Zenith 36'000 VpH.

Attachment 1020444 Attachment 1020448

or

Attachment 1020449Attachment 1020450

or

Attachment 1020454Attachment 1020452
    Last edited by CogitoErgoSum; March 24th, 2013 at 09:08.
    shnjb likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pjw, thanks for the reply. Just for clarity, I wasn't holding the PO in the same regard as the other two, rather an everyday 'beater' if I went with the MCC2. C.E.S.Some nice suggestions there. Im actually not interested in a JLC diver, rather the MCC2, which is semi-dressy, along the lines of the Zenith.As for the AP, I've veto'd that one in favour of a VC overseas for some time in the future!What I think I'm trying to say is that I prefer the MCC2. It's perhaps less grail-worthy than the FF, but everything about it talks to me. It just doesn't strike me as a true daily wearer, Which is probably why I'm tying to justify it with the PO. The FF is, in my opinion a daily wearer. I just not sure I prefer it to the MCC2, let alone 50% more (price difference).Cheers guys...

Based in South east asia, travelling between

I agree with your assessment that the PO is more durable, but the FF looks so much better in real life imo. My suggestion is to get the FF and wear it everyday since it's what caught your eye. though the FF is not to be used for extreme sports, you can always buy a $50 gshock for that purposes. Getting the watch that really appeals to you makes you want to wear it more, and give you greater satisfaction rather than a safe-queen (watch that is just kept in the safe)
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

Indeed Crunchy,

i do have a G-Shock, an old Breitling quartz chrono, and a few other every day durables, which, aside from liking them, does raise the question of the PO just being pointless.

I do agree that the FF is one watch I've encountered, whereby no pictures come close to doing it justice. It is beautiful in the flesh, and I'm pleased that the new ones come in brushed steel, rather than polished. I know a polished watch of that size would be a real scratch-magnet on me.

i think I should shelve the PO idea, as i do have other watches for harsher wear, and choose the one which pulls me the most. Either one would get a lot of wrist time, but the FF probably slightly more so.

a lot of support for the Blancpain camp it would seem!

Quote Originally Posted by Etops View Post
    a lot of support for the Blancpain camp it would seem!
    That's because they haven't seen this

Attachment 1020536
    mew88, Touring and shnjb like this.

Why did you have to go and put that up?!

In a nutshell, you've found th problem. The MCC1 was probably my first grail watch. Others superceeded it, but between each one, the MCC always sung to me. I'm not sure what is the finer timepiece, it seems the FF is more grail-worthy, and I do adore it, but I can't help get a certain feeling whenever I try the MCC 2 on. Plus, I reckon a 95%+ one can be had for $6k.

My only concern is the daily wear - the FF will 'ding' gracefully...

Yes - that bezel looks like a ding magnet. Odd for a diver. The FF bezel is sapphire, no?

But your beater would be a PO, right?

It is sapphire on the FF, yes. That at least gives some protection, along with the case being now brushed steel, rather than the previous polished one.

Regarding the PO, my view was that for the price of a FF, which would be a true daily wearer, I can get the MCC2, and a beater like the PO 42mm. In reality, I have daily beaters, but it's a good excuse to get a PO too.

Oddly enough, the FF was never on my radar until I tried it. 42/43mm is generally my max. However, the FF design with the curved lugs wears smaller on my wrist than say a straight-sided 43mm, like the IWC spitfire 3878. In fact, the 42mm VC overseas chrono looks bigger on me than the FF. my wrists are not that wide, but proportionally quite deep. Perhaps that aids in the illusions.

Unfortunately, said illusion has put the FF firmly on my list!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information