Your opinions on wearing a larger "sporty" watch with a suit

Thread: Your opinions on wearing a larger "sporty" watch with a suit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Your opinions on wearing a larger "sporty" watch with a suit

I am a physician in New York City an am looking to spend a bit of my hard earned paycheck on a new watch for work. I am leaning toward this tissot:

http://www.tissot.ch/?mod_collection...55/action_show

with the blue face, but am a little hesitant because I want something that I can wear with with a suit as well and wonder whether this might be a little to bulky and sporty for more formal occasions. All opinions appreciated. (by the way the other watch I am considering...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3367581

Re: Your opinions on wearing a larger "sporty" watch with a suit

A physician with a nickname of Frankenstein?? Seriously, I wear my Kobold Phantom with a suit when I go to court (I work in a crime lab) and the watch almost never looks out of place. I would also recommend the Rolex Sub or Sea Dweller; they both scream class and are perfectly suited (no pun intended) when dressing up.
    Scott

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

this tissot sport watch isn't big. It will fit a dress shirt just fine. I thought you want to wear seiko monster or UTS diver watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

An Omega Planet Ocean might be worth a look at. A big step up from Tissot if your budget can take it. The PO comes in 2 dial sizes, big and bloody big. You would have to try 'em on. Darn good watch with a great movement.

If you don't like that, then look at a Rolex Explorer II, black or white dial. It's the ultimate class sport watch, IMO. The Submariner is also very nice, but so many are seen, you might get some inquiries about it's pedigree.

If your finances can't reach that far then still buy Swiss, go for an ORIS TT1, preferably in Ti, because they are lighter than SS. ORIS are a tough reliable watch. I am speaking from personal ownership. They look good with a jacket provided it doesn't have 'stove pipe' sleeves.
    Stevie

All I have are large sport-chronos, so that's what I always wear, even if I'm in a suit. As for your two choices, the Seiko looks pretty dressy, I wouldn't have any trouble wearing that, no matter how I was dressed. I was actually keeping my eye out for a dressier watch, something with a black leather strap, little fancier face, but I'm just kidding myself, I'm never going to wear it. Stick with what you like, it'll be good no matter what you wear.
    NRA Life Member
    NJKCA Honorary Member
    ==================
    Breitling Chrono Avenger
    Breitling Steelfish
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Casio GPR-B1000 Rangeman
    Casio GWG1000-1A3 Mudmaster
    Citizen BN7020
    Sinn UX
    Victorinox Swiss Army Airboss Mach IV

Quote Originally Posted by Klesk
    All I have are large sport-chronos, so that's what I always wear, even if I'm in a suit. As for your two choices, the Seiko looks pretty dressy, I wouldn't have any trouble wearing that, no matter how I was dressed. I was actually keeping my eye out for a dressier watch, something with a black leather strap, little fancier face, but I'm just kidding myself, I'm never going to wear it. Stick with what you like, it'll be good no matter what you wear.
    Men today rebel at wearing small watches and the bigger the watch, the better. It makes them feel masculine. I have small wrists and I have no problem wearing a 47mm watch on mine. As a man, I like the look of a big watch. It feels right to me. :-D

How about watch face color? How do people feel about blue or black with a stainless steel bracelet?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankeinstein06
    How about watch face color? How do people feel about blue or black with a stainless steel bracelet?
    black, blue, silver, white are the most acceptable dial colors for that role.

what you want to avoid are watches w/dials in oranges, reds, yellows, etc. the idea is that when you're wearing a suit, you're in a 'business' situation - whether it's meeting clients, pitching ideas, etc. as such your accessories (watch, jewelry, etc) should not be a distraction. you want people to focus on you and what you have to say...not on the watch that you're wearing, however nice it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankeinstein06
    Black is the most suitable dial color with SS IMHO. Blue may be acceptable with the Omega Ti SMP, but some other brands have a lurid blue color dial which tends to spoil the sophistication of the watch.

White dials tend to suit gold case watches with the exception of the white dial SS Rolex Explorer and the SS Omega GMT both of which have a red GMT hand. The readability of the indices is slightly better on the Rolex.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I don't really like it - one of the main reasons why I shun Rolex. You end up wearing the damn thing outside the jacket, claiming that "it's easier to read the time that way"!!! Yeah - and easier for everyone to see what you got on your wrist....

Seriously, I know that that sort of trend has come into fashion in recent years, if not decades, even though I personally don't approve of it but everyone should decide for themselves. Bear in mind that there are some extremely conservative people, though, that might be just the sort of people that you want to impress at some stage in your life (girlfriend's dad, top boss in a job interview) and who turn their nose up at that sort of behaviour. I am reminded of the story of someone going for a relatively high post and the interview went swimmingly so that (almost) everyone present thought that he had made it. As soon as he was out of the door, the top manager let out a firm "No!" When the other interviewers, puzzled, asked him why not, he replied: "Not with those shoe laces!!"

So, I would maintain that at a Viennese ball, at Ascot, the Queen's garden party or special occasions at top management level, the good ol' Calatrava (or something in that style) is still best.....

Just my 0.02$.

Hartmut Richter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information