Your Swatch Story
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Your Swatch Story

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Your Swatch Story

I'm curious how everyone else here got started with their Swatches. For lack of a better way to describe it, Swatch is sort of an ugly duckling type of brand, the nerd amongst the cool kids. Little credit is given to the brand for what it has accomplished, and Swatches are often dismissed by the typical watch enthusiast. Yet, with the creation of the Swatch forum here on WUS, it is clear that this non-traditional Swiss brand still has a following among those watch enthusiasts. Or maybe it is just the nerds of the watch nerd community.

I would imagine that many of you have the same Swatch origin story as me. I got my first Swatch when I was around 10 years old, in the midst of the original Swatch craze. The variety and colors were incredible, and the jellyfish was flat out cool. My first Swatch, which I still have 25 years later, had the transparent case and a blue crystal. I was a runt of a kid at the time, so my first Swatch was the smaller model, which was just another clear sign that I was really not that cool considering my mom bought me the girly size. I didn't mind because I adored that watch.

My second Swatch came soon after. It was a large size, I looked ridiculous wearing it, and I didn't care. I wore that one for years, switching out the strap whenever it started to wear out or crack. I still have that Swatch, too.

One of the original Swatch Skins became my go-to watch for about a decade. (You guessed it, I still have that one, too.) It looks like a piece of glass that was tumbled in the ocean for a few years with its worn down edges and near-impossible to read caseback. I still love wearing that when I want a watch that disappears on my wrist.

Although I have many other watches now, I still have a strong affinity to Swatches. When I took a trip to Switzerland a few years ago, I made sure to buy a Swiss watch while I was there. And of course it was a Swatch.

What started your Swatch journey?
    -Brian

Watch Nerd

Re: Your Swatch Story

My mom bought me one back in high school. At the time I wasnt into watches at all. It was the classic see through quartz model with the see through strap. I remember wearing it till the battery died and then on to something else. This was back in the day of wearing multiple swatches!

Then I started collecting watches. First G Shocks, then Seiko, Citizen, Suunto etc... Knowing my interest for watches I was talking to a friend from Europe. She knew I liked watches and as we talked about her recent backpacking trip (all over Asia, NZ and Australia) I asked what watch she wore? Yep, a large chrono. It had been through all her adventures and was ticking right along. Well... i had to have one!

And one day I grabbed a Swatch on the sales forums. This one was totally different (irony line). Its nice, and well made, and looks REALLy good wit business attire... Well, there you go.... a collection was started.
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

North-By-Nortwest of El Capitan, Yosemite, California

I celebrated my first year anniversary as a member of WUS last month (June)...
    as a rookie back then, I used to hangout between the Affordables and the Public Forum. I started out just looking at pictures - - *WRUW* postings salivating at those watches...then, one day, Griff (ZippoFan) posted some of his Swatch(es) and bingo, I fell in love with some of the retro models...I knew then, I had to get one.

One day, I casually walked in the Swatch Store in Palo Alto and wanted to try out a few...and a couple of the Irony chronos caught my eye. Since I was into big dial watches, I tried several of the resin and SS models, and then, I tried the YOS423...it was love at first sight...so I walked out of the store with my first Swatch, and certainly not the last as I am eyeing a couple of the Nababs which I posted in a thread two weeks ago.

(((This particular Swatch is really one of their heavyweight models - - rock solid !!!)))

Jeff_C likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That is a very cool Chrono! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the Nabab once you get it. I'm curious to see how they look on the wrist.

It's great to hear a story from a new Swatch convert. When I started this thread, I was hoping to find someone who was turned on to Swatch due to their newer designs. For those of us whose first Swatches were part of the original plastic releases, it is nice to see that they are continuing to make new fans. It is actually quite amazing to see how Swatch has evolved over the years and has come out with some amazing new watches with unique features, while still remaining very true to its roots.
    -Brian

Watch Nerd

I remember when Swatches first came onto the market. It was fun seeing the department store displays of the brightly colored watches... but I didn't buy any (my fashion sense wasn't well developed then). Once I started collecting, I did get some because they had skeleton designs that really showed the insides of watches with an enjoyable presentation.

But Swatch encases, at a low price, many ETA movements and what drove me to start collecting them was to add to my Autoquartz collection. The seven Swatch Autoquartz watches are amazing bargains!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyb View Post
    That is a very cool Chrono! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the Nabab once you get it. I'm curious to see how they look on the wrist.

It's great to hear a story from a new Swatch convert. When I started this thread, I was hoping to find someone who was turned on to Swatch due to their newer designs. For those of us whose first Swatches were part of the original plastic releases, it is nice to see that they are continuing to make new fans. It is actually quite amazing to see how Swatch has evolved over the years and has come out with some amazing new watches with unique features, while still remaining very true to its roots.
    I get a kick out of visiting their website and other Swatch-related links...the myriad of designs, artistry, and craftsmanship is like visiting a museum of horology. Apparently, they hire these artists and artisans to design their "theme" watches from Olympics and other athletic events to featuring celebrities and other entertainers.

Wearing one of these work-of-art is certainly making a statement.

Speaking of their collection series, I've been eyeing a couple of their James Bond 007 series - - "From Ruusia with Love" and the "Spy Who Loved Me" featuring the infamous *JAWS* ! This one is on my radar...like anything else, some of these were on a limited production run:

The 007 series has some great pieces in it.

One thing I have often noticed with Swatch is that they seem to use the designs as a testing ground of sorts. I've seen some designs that strongly resemble other makes that fall within the Swatch umbrella. For example, there are some Irony models that used the same color schemes later used in the Omega Planet Ocean models.

It is also fun to see what movements they will try out.
    -Brian

Watch Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyb View Post
    It is also fun to see what movements they will try out.
    Unlike most fashion watches, the attraction of Swatches to me is their movements... some of them are amazing bargains. Their competitors just use cheap Asian quartz most of the time.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I have the "World is not enough" Swatch! :) Not quite as cool as that Jaws model! :)
    Suunto... Replacing Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
    I have the "World is not enough" Swatch! :) Not quite as cool as that Jaws model! :)

Do you have a *W.I.N.E.* picture in your photo album? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information